Year one of ER completed

Live And Learn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
To sum it up .... Best Year of My Life !

Major accomplishments:
  • Have learned to relax to the max
  • Have more time for prayer, birding, and golf
  • No stress !!!!! Biggest decision of the day is what to make for dinner
  • Improved diet, more exercise - lost 17 lbs without trying
  • Smile every day
  • Haven't cried a single day
  • Neck and back feel great

Downsides:
None ! On the day the Dow dropped 1000 points one of my dividend stocks flash crashed and I deployed some cash. Lemonade from lemons !

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but am optimistic anyway. I started with a budget WR of 3% but ran 2.7% last year (I budgeted for travel but really have no need / desire to be anywhere but here). I think 2.7% will get me 40 years to age 90 and I can cut back if needed. I am no longer worried about being an elderly bag lady under a bridge.

Life is good.
God is great !

Congratulations, Live and Learn! Thanks for the update and we all hope each year just gets better for you!

You sound positively gleeful, Live and Learn! :dance::dance::dance:

I remember how worried you were before taking the plunge.

Excellent news! Thanks for the update.

I like those accomplishments. :)

Live and Learn - what a great update. Like others, I am chuckling a little remembering the OMY (or 2 or 3) that you went through before finally retiring.
I am so happy to hear you are enjoying your post-OMY time!!!!

Good for you! Thanks for your update

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I love your update, because I've also been retired one year and just about all your statements are true for me, too! I am so happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Make that TWO years completed :)

Only change from my post a year ago is that now I have lost 30 lbs - and I did have to try a little for the last 13 lbs.

Life is AMAZING.

Make that TWO years completed :)

Only change from my post a year ago is that now I have lost 30 lbs - and I did have to try a little for the last 13 lbs.

Life is AMAZING.

Yay! Just when you get to the point where you can afford to eat whatever you want...you have to choose to eat things that are somewhat lower on the food pyramid.

Congrats on your happiness!

Congratulations. I know how hard it is to get that weight off. Even harder to keep it off as old habits die hard as they say. I'm hitting 4 years of ER this month and at one point lost 17 lbs, but have since put it back on. Just tough to really change eating habits with 3 teenagers in the house. We still have dinner on the table every night. The extra weight is worth the family time. I suppose...lol

Congrats on 2 years! Good on you for the weight loss as well. We all love success stories!

I'm vey happy for you.

I also have been done for just over one year and I can relate to all your accomplishments.

Your report is very encouraging to those of us who are close to retirement but not quite there. I can imagine my first year will be like yours. Optimizing health and fitness will be my top priorities, after rationalizing and economizing my off-site wine storage!

Yup, that's encouraging to hear, especially for those of us who have a little trepidation about pulling the plug.

Congratulations on doing well. It doesn't happen by accident.

I still struggle with time management. There are just too many fun things to do ! I volunteer an average of 12 hrs a week and love everything I am doing. I gave up a couple of things up when they became less. One thing is for sure - I have not been bored for even a moment; even my quiet time alone is fun !

Congratulations. Retirement is great. So good to hear you are having fun! Keep it up and keep posting those updates.

Back
Top Bottom