Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #2061
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NgineER View Post
Does turning off the AC while running the dryer matter? The warm outside air that has leaked in needs to be dehumidified and cooled off once the dryer is done running, so I doubt there is much savings by turning the AC off.
What I meant was I try to run the dryer when it is cool outside. Obviously, this may not be possible in a very hot area.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #2062
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What I meant was I try to run the dryer when it is cool outside. Obviously, this may not be possible in a very hot area.
That makes sense

Old 08-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #2063
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I just remodeled a bathroom.
Here are some pictures...
Nice job!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #2064

When the power was installed in our storage shed, they put in a 4 inch box with a light switch and 2 outlets. Well, one of the two is for our little icemaker, and the other keeps my drill charged.
It got to be a pain to unplug the drill, so I could plug something else in. I could not replace the light switch with a switch/plug combo because I needed a GFI plug.
My solution was to mount a power strip below the 4 inch box and plug into one of the GFI outlets. Now I have 4 outlets protected by a circuit breaker on the strip.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #2065
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
....... I could not replace the light switch with a switch/plug combo because I needed a GFI plug.................
Actually, you could have powered the new outlet next to the switch by powering it as a "load" on the existing GFCI outlet. Wiring Multiple GFCI outlets
Old 08-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #2066

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Nice job, looks great and the leaks are gone!

A friend is now in the process of re-plumbing his two story house (built 1980) since the galvanized plumbing is starting to leak. What a costly mess!

Hmm. I didn't think galvanized pipe was being used in the 80's.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #2067
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Hmm. I didn't think galvanized pipe was being used in the 80's.
It was around here. Late 1970's through early 1980's in The Woodlands, TX. I know others who have dealt with galvanized plumbing leaks in town.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #2068

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Nice job, looks great and the leaks are gone!

A friend is now in the process of re-plumbing his two story house (built 1980) since the galvanized plumbing is starting to leak. What a costly mess!
A few years ago I re-plumbed one of my duplexes. I had galvanized and went to pex. I added a bunch more shutoffs, some shutoffs to help with the install and isolate areas, and it is much better.

Galvanized pipe is a nightmare ready to happen.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #2069
Recycles dryer sheets

My pool pump went out last week just before I was getting ready to leave town for a long weekend. I do most of my own pool maintenance, but have a pool guy that I use when we travel. He told me he couldn't do the job because he was getting ready to leave on vacation. I ended up just waiting until we returned from the long weekend. Ordered a replacement motor from Amazon and used YouTube to figure out how to do the job. Pretty straightforward repair and saved about $300 in labor. It felt pretty good doing the job myself.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #2070
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

Galvanized pipe is a nightmare ready to happen.
We have neighborhoods around here that were all built in the early 1980's and the galvanized plumbing is starting to fail in many houses. Lots of work for plumbers and sheet rock guys coming up!
Old 08-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #2071
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always noticed when on holiday in the US that most plumbing drain lines are white PVC (notwithstanding there is some regional variation).
Here in Canada, it is almost 100% black ABS.

I understand either are acceptable for drain lines but have always wondered at the variation. Up here white PVC seems to only be used by HVAC guys.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #2072
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I've always noticed when on holiday in the US that most plumbing drain lines are white PVC (notwithstanding there is some regional variation).

I understand either are acceptable for drain lines but have always wondered at the variation. Up here white PVC seems to only be used by HVAC guys.
Ford vs Chevy.
They're both fine for the purpose.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #2073

Dishwasher died last weekend and new Bosch was delivered yesterday. Installed it myself to save $150 installation fee.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #2074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Dishwasher died last weekend and new Bosch was delivered yesterday. Installed it myself to save $150 installation fee.
Nice. I did the same thing. We ordered new appliances - fridge, oven, microwave and dishwasher. Included free delivery, And Installation - of the fridge and oven. Like those 2 are a lot of work. So I installed the microwave and dishwasher to save the "extra" installation fees.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #2075
Recycles dryer sheets

Had the main fresh water line pop on one of my rentals, had to dig up the front yard to repair it but got a deal on it, $180
Old 08-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #2076

Lost our lovely Forest Pansy Redbud tree in heavy rainstorm. It had grown awkwardly and we finally decided to remove a large limb to even it up but didn't get to it before the rains. The trunk broke down near the ground so it maybe had other problems. It laid on the ground for nearly a week and no leaves died in all that time so I called the arborist thinking maybe it could be saved. . They said no way and offered to remove it for $300. It was only 20 ft tall. I got out the chain saw and had the chain sharpened ($13). It took me 3 hrs to cut up and haul it to the county landfill ($10) and I figure $7 for gas. Total $30.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #2077

Finally got brave or bored enough to attempt the dreaded drum brakes in my Nissan Versa. I had watched lots of Youtube videos. Still, I had a few moments of worrying if I would break something, and didn't want to force it, so I had to go slow and gradual, but after several attempts, got all the springs on right, brake shoes in nice and snug, and sealed her up. What a relief! And saved about $200 in labor possibly.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:06 PM   #2078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post

Probably so you Northern folks can see the drain lines in the snow....
Old 10-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #2079

A few weeks ago, I finally replaced the ceiling light fixture in my walk-in closet. It had been working badly for a few years. About 10 or 15 years ago, the pull-chain wore out, but I was able to safely disconnect the whole fixture, remove the pull-chain, cut off the last few links which were inside the fixture and reconnect the pull-chain and reinstall the fixture (that last part was the toughest).

Then, about 2 years ago, the pull-chain wasn't working well. Sometimes, it worked fine, other times, it didn't. But strangely, after a few hours or a few days, the pull chain somehow reset itself and began working normally. I disconnected the fixture and examined it closely. It was working fine, but reinstalling it was a PITA because I was doing it without much light and the ceiling attachment area was getting worse. After that, I went out and bought a whole new fixture and kept it nearby.

But a few weeks ago, it stopped working again and never returned to life. This time, with my ladyfriend's help (she shone a light at the darkened area from a lamp I plugged in to an outlet on a different circuit breaker), after disconnecting the fixture again, undoing the needed wires, and reconnecting it to the next fixture, I was able to reconnect everything without it being a big PITA. Now I have a predictably working ceiling light! And I didn't fry myself.

It's not the first time I fixed something electrical in my co-op apartment. About 25 years ago, I was able to change two light switches which had worn out. That's when I had mapped out all the circuit breakers (previous owner never did that).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Lost our lovely Forest Pansy Redbud tree in heavy rainstorm. It had grown awkwardly and we finally decided to remove a large limb to even it up but didn't get to it before the rains. The trunk broke down near the ground so it maybe had other problems. It laid on the ground for nearly a week and no leaves died in all that time so I called the arborist thinking maybe it could be saved. . They said no way and offered to remove it for $300. It was only 20 ft tall. I got out the chain saw and had the chain sharpened ($13). It took me 3 hrs to cut up and haul it to the county landfill ($10) and I figure $7 for gas. Total $30.

We found some pretty large Forest Pansy (purple leaf) Redbuds at nearby nurseries. These are too large for me to handle but haven't convinced DW to pay for planting. In the meantime we found a new weeping variety that is small enough for an adjacent planting area between two paver patios we just had installed.