Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree ERD50's suggestion is a good one. Obviously, if there's a "filter" on the thing (including the filter underneath that services the hood), gibve that a good cleaning. Activated charcoal (you can buy the loose stuff in a pet store for use in aquarium filters) or baking soda left inside the oven while the fan runs might help a bit.
There's probably some reside left inside the inaccessible portions of the case, and it's going to smell a bit when it gets damp from the moisture released when cooking. Over time it will get better.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #642
Give me a forum ...

Another basement water leak today.

I noticed that the carpet was squishy and that's a bad sign.

Turns out that the temperature / pressure valve on the cold water heater was leaking. This valve discharges into an aluminum pan that I cleverly installed under the heater, which has a discharge directly to floor drain.

But a hole has corroded in the aluminum pan and the water drained onto the floor anyway. I guess I should have gone for the plastic pan.

Valve has been replaced and discharge rerouted directly to a drain.

Any ideas on how to patch the hole? I can just see it under the heater.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #643

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Another basement water leak today.

I noticed that the carpet was squishy and that's a bad sign.

Turns out that the temperature / pressure valve on the cold water heater was leaking. This valve discharges into an aluminum pan that I cleverly installed under the heater, which has a discharge directly to floor drain.

But a hole has corroded in the aluminum pan and the water drained onto the floor anyway. I guess I should have gone for the plastic pan.

Valve has been replaced and discharge rerouted directly to a drain.

If the pan is dry, try spraying that rubbery Flex Seal into the pan:

As Seen on TV Flex Seal - Walmart.com
Old 12-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
If the pan is dry, try spraying that rubbery Flex Seal into the pan:

As Seen on TV Flex Seal - Walmart.com
I was going to suggest a fiberglass/epoxy patch as used on a bath tub but I suppose that would work and be easier to get in there.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #645
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

If you can reach the bad spot, I would use several layers of aluminum tape followed by brush-on cooler coating. I have used this method to repair rain gutters and an evaporative cooler pan. In both cases a durable repair.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #646
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
If you can reach the bad spot, I would use several layers of aluminum tape followed by brush-on cooler coating. I have used this method to repair rain gutters and an evaporative cooler pan. In both cases a durable repair.
Good idea. What is a cooler coating?

I'm also curious as to why it corroded through there. Perhaps the concrete itself is causing the corrosion.........
Old 12-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #647

Replaced a toilet yesterday. One thing with age is that we find it more comfortable to have higher toilets in the house. Seems it's easier on the knees when you don't have to squat as much or to stand up from a higher seat. All our toilets meet disability requirements, except for the hand rails. Hopefully they won't be needed too soon.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #648

Quote:
Good idea. What is a cooler coating?

I'm also curious as to why it corroded through there. Perhaps the concrete itself is causing the corrosion.........
Cooler coating is a tar(asphalt) based product designed to treat corroded evaporative cooler pans. I suppose swamp coolers are not useful in your part of the country? I think a brushable roof coating would be a good substitute.
Yes, the concrete slab would be the source of the corrosion. If you can coat the entire bottom, that should last quite a while. Short of draining the heater, I think that is the best option.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DIAL-1-ga...5351/100117498
Old 12-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #649
Give me a forum ...

Fixed my old trusty shaver by replacing the old, corroded battery with a new one by removing the old, adding some solder to the connections, then adding the new.

Feels good going back to cordless rechargeable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old batt.JPG (641.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg up close.jpg (517.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg new batt.JPG (435.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Fixed my old trusty shaver by replacing the old, corroded battery with a new one by removing the old, adding some solder to the connections, then adding the new.

Feels good going back to cordless rechargeable
Nine job! That job is in my future soon.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #651
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rat update: Since I put out the steel wool pads soaked in cayenne pepper and the motion lights, we haven't seen any new damage or entry point holes in the vents.

I think based on the open space and corresponding wildlife around our house I can never claim complete victory. But for now at least all vent holes appear to remain plugged with the steel wool pads and the scratching has abated. Thanks to all for your help. I am sure I will be using some of the other suggestions in the future as the rats are probably merely regrouping and coming up with a new action plan as I type.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #652

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Rat update: Since I put out the steel wool pads soaked in cayenne pepper and the motion lights, we haven't seen any new damage or entry point holes in the vents.

I think based on the open space and corresponding wildlife around our house I can never claim complete victory. But for now at least all vent holes appear to remain plugged with the steel wool pads and the scratching has abated. Thanks to all for your help. I am sure I will be using some of the other suggestions in the future as the rats are probably merely regrouping and coming up with a new action plan as I type.
Good luck with the rats...as I said way earlier..electricity is the key. (but there are a never ending supply of rats..)

We have a problem (actually around the neighborhood) with moles. It's been in the 70 - 80 F weather-wise and it rained recently so the moles came out in force. Tunnels everywhere...and those guys are hard to discourage. No easy solution from what I can tell.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #653

Quote:
Good luck with the rats...as I said way earlier..electricity is the key. (but there are a never ending supply of rats..)

We have a problem (actually around the neighborhood) with moles. It's been in the 70 - 80 F weather-wise and it rained recently so the moles came out in force. Tunnels everywhere...and those guys are hard to discourage. No easy solution from what I can tell.
Volumes have been written about discouraging moles. You are correct!... no easy way to get rid of them. We have a healthy mole population at our camp.

Dreamers say traps... No! Take a peek here... We or our neighbors have tried most of them. https://www.google.com/search?q=mle+...w=1024&bih=681

Mole pellets? (poison)... No! Vibrators or radios underground? No!... Insecticides a qualified "maybe".

The common mole can tunnel about 150ft/day or more. Most people think they only travel at night, but that's not true... Our greatest success has been patient watching for moving soil and using a pitchfork, but that's time consuming.

While a few days of mole activity can make make molehill mountains, the idea that there are dozens of the critters running around is probably not true, so if you can get one, or a pair, it's possible that may solve the problem... possible... not probable. When we had kids around, stomping the mounds seemed to help, and the moles sometimes moved over to the neighbors yard.

In the early days, tried flooding the ground... dumb!. In recent years, we have learned to live in harmony with nature and the moles. We let the grass grow taller so the mounds are not so obvious.

As to the insecticides... The older (now banned) insecticides DID work, but after using up my hoarded supply, found the new ones seem to be more of a health food for moles.

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #654

I have the same problem with gophers. There are a zillion of them and now that the rains have softened up the ground they are going nuts. Tried everything and have essentially given up at this point.

When I had Rotts, I trained them to sniff 'em out and alert me by digging. Then I'd flush them out and smack em with a shovel. Worked well for a time. Big mistake... dogs would dig all night and the property looked like it was carpet bombed.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #655

Agree with Imoldernu's post, if you want to try the only thing I got to work it's this.

I actually had some luck trapping them with the Victor plunge style traps. This was after studying a little book that I can no longer find. It is not easy, you really have to spend a lot of time studying these pests. I had a dog who was very helpful at pointing sign out.

The link is to a university's site, seems like it contains all I remember from the book. The keys were identification of the correct run(s) and proper placement of the trap, particularly the trigger.

http://easttexasgardening.tamu.edu/h...ens/moles.html

There's also some links to resources at the bottom. Good information. Of course other moles in the area are happy to move into the vacated feeding areas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #656

Quote:

We have found the battery operated mole movers from Amazon to help. They are stakes in the ground that shake and make annoying sounds continually so the moles move on to your neighbor's yard.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #657

Quote:
We have found the battery operated mole movers from Amazon to help. They are stakes in the ground that shake and make annoying sounds continually so the moles move on to your neighbor's yard.
Thanks, I'll have a look at those.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #658

Quote:
Well gee, that's not very neighborly!
Old 12-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Well gee, that's not very neighborly!
Well, I guess they can move on to parks or open space or whatever you live near. I just know we stick them near the mounds in our yard and whatever is tunneling seems to move on to some place less annoying to them.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #660

Ten bucks...Mole Chaser....Harbor Freight.

image_23733.jpg

Solar powered, too!