Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2015, 10:04 PM   #1221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
OK, a laser is cool and everything, but what makes it superior to the tennis ball on a string trick (which I've never bothered to do, so I'd probably never, ever get around to mounting a laser, wires and all).

Cool is a good enough reason though!

-ERD50
The tennis ball works very well because you get both fore-aft and left-right cueing (mine just touches the windshield directly in front of the driver). I guess the laser could do the same. The downside to the tennis ball is that it is in the way when the car is out and you want to use the garage--bonk. But--it's "solid state" and no batteries.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #1222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have tried a tennis ball, but the issue I'm having is I think I need a mark on the windshield to line it up with as I have literally inches to spare.

I also use a 4x4 beam for 1 car and that seems to work fine, but a 2x4 or 2x6 is a bit too small as they seem to move when hit by the car.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #1223
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
OK, a laser is cool and everything, but what makes it superior to the tennis ball on a string trick (which I've never bothered to do, so I'd probably never, ever get around to mounting a laser, wires and all).

Cool is a good enough reason though!

-ERD50
I use my garage as a shop when I have a project going on. Stops on the ground or hanging balls are a nuisance to stumble over or run into. Also an inconvenience when sweeping the floor, which is frequently necessary as we live on an unpaved road.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The tennis ball works very well because you get both fore-aft and left-right cueing (mine just touches the windshield directly in front of the driver). I guess the laser could do the same. The downside to the tennis ball is that it is in the way when the car is out and you want to use the garage--bonk. But--it's "solid state" and no batteries.
The Chamberlain laser light comes in 2 models, one plugs into a 120V outlet and the light is on all the time, the other is wired into and gets it's power from the opener unit and is only on when the door opens. No batteries in either case.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #1225
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The Chamberlain laser light comes in 2 models, one plugs into a 120V outlet and the light is on all the time, the other is wired into and gets it's power from the opener unit and is only on when the door opens. No batteries in either case.
I bought some off brand laser locator at Harbor Freight. It has a motion sensor and either battery operation or can be run off a wall wart. It has worked great for years.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #1226

Modified my double barrel stove to be more efficient. Removed the top 55 gal drum. Added the small 30 Gal drum with some piping inside.

Works great, uses half the wood than before and makes a lot more heat. The top of the small barrel runs around 500 to 600 F.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (242.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #1227
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use a wine cork on a string
Old 12-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Modified my double barrel stove to be more efficient. Removed the top 55 gal drum. Added the small 30 Gal drum with some piping inside.

Works great, uses half the wood than before and makes a lot more heat. The top of the small barrel runs around 500 to 600 F.

I would love to have something like that in my wood shop, esp this winter (El Nino)!
Old 12-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #1229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I use a wine cork on a string
I tried that, but the bottle kept hitting the car too hard
Old 01-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #1230

Heard a humming/buzzing noise coming from the heater fan in my Nissan Versa. Thought it might be a mouse nest in the fan. Decided to first check the in-cabin air filter since it was (supposed to be) easier to remove than the fan motor. Removed glove box. OK, easy enough. Now to follow youtube directions and grab tab on filter, push up and pull out. Nothing. Not budging. Get vice grips, do same routine. Nothing. Nowhere. Review notes from last time I removed in cabin air filter. Notes say just grab tab on filter with vice grips, and wiggle. Still not coming out. Dang! Who cemented this thing in when I wasn't looking? Leave it for another day. Next day, back under the dash with vice grips, this time I yelled at it. That worked, filter plopped out meekly. Removed lots of small leaf particles from filter and the air duct. I had to park my car at my parents' house for a few weeks, and the yard people there like to grind up the leaves with a riding mower, then blow the small fragments of leaves into piles (and also into everyone's air ducts). Reinstall filter, turn fan on. Just a very low hum/buzz present now. Good enough!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #1231
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Heard a humming/buzzing noise coming from the heater fan in my Nissan Versa.......
The first time I changed mine, a leaf accidentally slipped by and lodged in the squirrel cage. It has been throbbing now for 5 years. I keep praying it will self dislodge, as crawling under the instrument panel to remove the fan is not on my short list of fun things to do.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #1232
Dryer sheet aficionado

I repaired the upper rack of my Kitchen Aide Dishwasher. The wheels had come off and it kept falling off the track which drove my wife nuts.

During a vacation day and before holiday guests arrived I purchased a rebuild kit and installed it one afternoon in an hour or so. I did need to go to the hardware to purchase a special screw driver and of course when I got home I noticed that the kit included an adapter that I could have used for the screws.

Oh well, I figure I saved at least $50.00 and probably closer to $100.00 and my wife was much happier over the holidays.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #1233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikechuck View Post

Oh well, I figure I saved at least $50.00 and probably closer to $100.00 and my wife was much happier over the holidays.
Priceless!

-ERD50
Old 01-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #1234

[QUOTE=John Galt III;1677471]...Next day, back under the dash with vice grips, this time I yelled at it. That worked, filter plopped out meekly. QUOTE]

OMG I yell at my computer at work but it doesn't help. Could you yell at it for me.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #1235

[QUOTE=splitwdw;1677869]
Quote:
...Next day, back under the dash with vice grips, this time I yelled at it. That worked, filter plopped out meekly. QUOTE]

OMG I yell at my computer at work but it doesn't help. Could you yell at it for me.
Maybe some Ultrasound would help!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #1236

Refrigerator

We got a new Maytag fridge, and I had to work on the freezer compartment. I had to remove the icemaker because our water is lousy and it takes up a lot of room. I asked the delivery.installer if he would remove it and he said, no it is wired in. So I removed the two screws holding it and disconnected the plug in the back.
The bigger PITA was the upper freezer rack had a crosswise divider that we wanted to remove. I went down to Youtube and found a video from the Appliance Ninja on how to do it. I would have never known to raise the wheels by pushing 2 tabs except for the video!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #1237

Quote:
Review notes from last time I removed in cabin air filter. Notes say just grab tab on filter with vice grips, and wiggle. Still not coming out. Dang! Who cemented this thing in when I wasn't looking? Leave it for another day. Next day, back under the dash with vice grips, this time I yelled at it. That worked, .......... Good enough!
Hope you remembered to update your notes to add the yelling step!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #1238

Twenty year old laundry dryer wasn't working as efficiently. Took off front, and disassembled area below the lint trap. Removed 20 yr old collection of lint that had gotten past the lint filter. Messy.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:56 AM   #1239
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Twenty year old laundry dryer wasn't working as efficiently. Took off front, and disassembled area below the lint trap. Removed 20 yr old collection of lint that had gotten past the lint filter. Messy.
Good job! It always amazes me how resourceful E-R.org members are. Don't know why I'm surprised because this is one of the characteristics of the E-R mind.

I can definitely relate to your dryer fix. I did this several times on our previous dryer. On ours the first sign that the vent pipe was becoming clogged was the dryer didn't dry the clothes properly because the humidity sensor was partially covered with lint. For us it was a straightforward but time consuming task to remove the front housing to access the vent pipe.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #1240
Recycles dryer sheets

I suspect that 20 year old dryers will outlast new ones. We have a 32 year old Kenmore dryer. Only have to replace the rollers and lint filters once in a while.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app