Your recent repair? 2013 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK... just had the back quarter panel window in our car replaced...

Some idiot broke it out sometime between Thur afternoon and Friday afternoon.... was shocked when got quotes of $500 and above... finally found a local firm that did it for $285....

Your recent repair?

$285? That's still a chunk of change.

Did u try a junk yard for a new window?

I replaced a back side windows on my sons car that was damaged by who knows what ... Was 45 bucks for the part and it took about 15 minutes to replace. Hardest part was getting the bazillion little bits of glass vacuumed up.

I've been watching these threads with great interest. We have two applications in our home. One is a pantry closet and the other is an unheated garage. I happened on these yesterday at Home Depot which look more attractive to me than the Hyperikon bulbs from Amazon:

Philips 4 ft. T8 17-Watt Cool White Linear LED Light Bulb-456590 - The Home Depot

The issue in the garage is that the flourescent tubes are dim in cold weather. The issue in the pantry is that <someone> did not use a quick start ballast when the original failed and the light stays on when not needed (need to look into auto an auto-on/off device).

As for disposal of the flourescent tubes, my local HD says "we don't take those anymore" but I took them to another location with no problem. I believe they are supposed to accept them for disposal by law.

Have you considered replacing the light fixture so you can use "ordinary" LED bulbs ?
I believe we all have these tube fluorescent lights as back then there was no other energy efficient choice, but to continue using them will in many cases perpetuate the original default old style look.

Have you considered replacing the light fixture so you can use "ordinary" LED bulbs ?
I believe we all have these tube fluorescent lights as back then there was no other energy efficient choice, but to continue using them will in many cases perpetuate the original default old style look.

No, but it's a good suggestion. I'll give it some thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

$285? That's still a chunk of change.

Did u try a junk yard for a new window?

I replaced a back side windows on my sons car that was damaged by who knows what ... Was 45 bucks for the part and it took about 15 minutes to replace. Hardest part was getting the bazillion little bits of glass vacuumed up.

I looked online and a new window cost over $150... I saw one from a junked car for $105....

Then watching all the stuff he had to do to get that piece out.... had to take off part of the rubber trim, take off the plastic parts of the inside of the car.... and it was glued in pretty well... looked like a good number of screws etc....

He cleaned it up, but also said that we probably would be finding glass for awhile...

So I think the $100 to $150 cost to install was worth the money....

New faucet in our Puerto Vallarta MX condo - $120 USD at Costco. Fancy high neck one with sprayer at end of faucet nozzle. Cost of plumber who took 1 hour & 15 minutes - $12 USD.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Installed a new counter, reusing the old sink and taps, and installed a new tile backsplash.

First time doing either one, the tile backsplash was easier than I thought, planning is important.
Aspenite countertops have a curve in them and you have to use the screws to pull them down tight. I put washers on my screw heads to be sure they didn't pull themselves up through the counter.

Attachments

• counter_and_backsplash.jpg
    counter_and_backsplash.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 23
I installed a new outdoor timer for the landscaping lights.

The garage door opener remote started getting slow, so I ordered some batteries on eBay (you can get 10 in the mail for the price of 1 at the local store, if you can even find the weird 23A at the store).

Before they arrived, the current battery didn't have enough oomph to open the garage door, so I added a little something in series. It works!

Attachments

• oomph.jpg
    oomph.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 18
Did a little tile work. Finished a few days ago, actually, but wanted to warn about variable thickness tile. It's OK until you have to turn a corner. Then you need to chop tiles and piece it. I don't know why the builders didn't make the surround go to the ceiling... It's just sheets of faux marble. The steam played heck withe the wallpaper, so that came off, and after painting, I was on the hook to install this mosaic variable thickness tile.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-05-18-14-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-05-18-14-49.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 20
  • tmp_9568-Screenshot_2016-03-05-18-14-38-1800742664.jpg
    tmp_9568-Screenshot_2016-03-05-18-14-38-1800742664.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 19
I installed a new outdoor timer for the landscaping lights.

LOL, I did that about a month or two ago... pretty quick exchange...

Did you put in the old mechanical one? I had bought one a few years back when I thought ours had gone out but it started to work again when I spun it quickly for what it thought was a week...

Did a little tile work. Finished a few days ago, actually, but wanted to warn about variable thickness tile. It's OK until you have to turn a corner. Then you need to chop tiles and piece it. I don't know why the builders didn't make the surround go to the ceiling... It's just sheets of faux marble. The steam played heck withe the wallpaper, so that came off, and after painting, I was on the hook to install this mosaic variable thickness tile.

Is that going to be difficult to clean?

Replaced switch on laundry room fan with a digital timer. Can now tell it to turn on and off at pre-sent times each day.

The room needed better ventilation. This should solve.

Very nice looking, but why didn't you carry it onto the ceiling ? :LOL:

Is that going to be difficult to clean?

My thoughts exactly, I can't image cleaning that surface.

Tough week - dishwasher died and needs to be replaced AND found out one of the heating elements on the dryer is out. Since we are selling in a year, annoying to have to buy a new dishwasher but not as annoying as hand washing dishes a couple times a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL, I did that about a month or two ago... pretty quick exchange...

Did you put in the old mechanical one? I had bought one a few years back when I thought ours had gone out but it started to work again when I spun it quickly for what it thought was a week...
Same model as was installed T100 Series

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon replacing the latch for one of the sliding doors on my wife's minivan. It's been broken for a few months, rendering that door unusable. The dealership wanted $1000 to fix it. My indy shop which I've liked wouldn't touch it for any sum of money, and pointed me back to the dealership.

The part cost me $180, plus another $18 for the trim removal tools. It was a huge PITA to get the new part in, but DW and I working together managed it.

Good learning experience, and I saved $800 bucks. My wife and kids are thrilled to have a working door again. I should send my indy shop a thank you note! ;)

Tough week - dishwasher died and needs to be replaced AND found out one of the heating elements on the dryer is out. Since we are selling in a year, annoying to have to buy a new dishwasher but not as annoying as hand washing dishes a couple times a day.
Are you sure you can't/don't want to economically fix it? I changed out the "circulation pump" in ours with a new one, and it was surprisingly easy and inexpensive. There are great videos and other resources online showing how to do a lot of these jobs. Fixing rather than replacing is especially economical if the appliance is high-end or if there's a desire that the replacement dishwasher "match" a pricey fridge, etc.

I tore down an old kayak rack that was falling apart and built a new and better designed one. Much more stable, stronger, easier to move, and easier to store or remove the kayaks. Next project is to cut down some metal tubing to make a semi-temporary covered storage for a motorcycle.

Cheers!

We need more pictures in this thread!

After 16 years of years daily use the top of the alarm fob for my Jeep broke. My fix was to tape an old key to the back so I could put the fob back on my keychain.

Attachments

• 0309161433a.jpg
    0309161433a.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 0309161433.jpg
    0309161433.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom