Join Early Retirement Today

Re: 401-K Returns To Date!  
Old 03-17-2005, 08:52 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ben, you answered the question bouncing around my mind. My wife and I should have a net worth of over a million in the not too distant future (too distant for my taste, but hey...) and I was thinking, will that mean we are millionairs? Per person net worth will only be ~500k, it just didn't seem right...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 401-K Returns To Date! *
Old 03-17-2005, 08:56 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Still a good occasion to pop a bottle of Bollinger!
Congrats!

Old 03-17-2005, 10:14 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'm talking 3-4 years, so congratulate me then, if nothing else, for surviving the rat race hell hole that is my job.....o.k., not that bad, just having a bad day. Yep, I'm sure early retirement is for me..... :P
Old 03-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

He,he - one can argue this many ways; if the average household have 3 people (2 adults/1 child or whatever) then maybe the mill should be divided by 3?

Some would argue that the child have earnings years ahead of them - but they will on the other hand also have more cost (school/college/housing Etc.) ahead of them before those earnings + the stats focus on an instant picture of status, not the future.

Oh well, just playing with nos... *

On a seperate note the recent weeks drop have my YTD now up 3% only. :-/
Old 03-17-2005, 12:53 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ben, you answered the question bouncing around my mind. My wife and I should have a net worth of over a million in the not too distant future (too distant for my taste, but hey...) and I was thinking, will that mean we are millionairs? Per person net worth will only be ~500k, it just didn't seem right...
A couple of nights after we were married, DW and I were enjoying an evening out on the patio and I asked her "so...how does it feel to be a millionaire?". She looked thoughtful for a minute and said "mmm...about the same...no wait...GOOOOOOOOOD"...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:00 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I look forward to the day, believe me! When our combined portfolios hit six figures, we kind of just stared at the spreadsheet for a while...and giggled. Small potatos for many of you, I know, but at one point we were 50 grand in unsecured debt (credit cards plus student loans). We are hooked on saving now, just the reduced need for Tums is worth it!
Old 03-17-2005, 07:20 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
When our combined portfolios hit six figures, we kind of just stared at the spreadsheet for a while...and giggled. *Small potatos for many of you...
It's part of the milestones you need to hit. I remember when I hit the $100K mark, I was astonished that I really did it, especially since I came out of college like many with a negative net worth. Hard work and some luck got me there. One thing I did notice is that the second $100K is easier to make than the first $100K, the third is easier than the second, and so on. The key is to know when to stop accumulating points and to start using them. It's all part of goal-setting.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:30 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Plunka,plunka, - yawn - plunka, plunka - boring maybe - but it worked for us - max DCA 401k,IRA's and time in the market.

80-90% of our ER, depending on how we valued our real estate.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:32 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Good point retire@40!
I elebrated each milestone (initially each $10k, later each 100k) with a cigar and some champagne with a good friend on the FIRE track too.

To know when to stop is the hard part - 1.5M-2M and I should get going!

Side note: th: great line (from other thread): "which ***** jumped on like the last chopper out of 'Nam" - cracked me up! (still cleaning coffee of tie).

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2005, 06:54 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Ben - you are there.

My late great Father had a phrase: "walking around with a **** eating grin on your face."

Wether work on or go out to play in ER - you'll 'know'.

There may be an equivalent Scan der houvien phrase!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:15 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

So, curious, when people talk about net worth, do they include the equity in their house? I was when I referred to having a 7 figure net worth in a few years, but I don't factor it in when talking about the "portfolio". We bought our house in 2001 for 274k and our neighbor just sold for 600k, so you see it represents a huge portion of my net worth.....San Diego, land of rediculous houseing markets. :P
Old 03-18-2005, 07:20 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

when people talk about net worth, do they include the equity in their house?

One of the checks I do on my plan each New Year's Day is to see whether my net worth has either remained the same or increassed over the course of the year. For purposes of that calculation, I include the net worth of my house. I have had enough big increases in the value of my house in recent years to keep my net worth stable even during the time that I did not have money coming in yet from my writing business.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:07 AM   #33

Quote:
So, curious, when people talk about net worth, do they include the equity in their house?
Well, I generally don't talk about my networth. * *But yes it is commonly included in the networth calculations.

For ER planning purposes I wouldn't use it in my calculations unless you plan on selling and moving. *The value is not going to be easily accessible in retirement until you get older and decide you want to start a reverse mortgage. *The house makes a nice fallback to the FIRE plans though - useful for funding the nursing home if your portfolio does poorly.

I do plan on selling and moving in retirement but I estimate that the net equity on my current home will completely buy me a home in my retirement destination. *Since I plan on "perpetual travelling" for a number of the early years of FIRE I will be putting that home equity into the investment portfolio for those years but it will not be used for calculating withdrawals.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:39 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Yowsers, just re-read my post, I really can't spell without my morning coffee! I'm definitely not including the equity in withdrawal calculations, just making sure I'm learning the language here.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:53 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Since the use of net worth is basically in order to do a quick comparison of apples to apples (and not as such to plan for FIRE calculate SWRs or similar) then YES, any equity in home is to be included (would probably make sense to deduct estimated selling/broker costs Etc.).

The guy in the paid of $10mill mansion and no investments or savings have a NW of $10mill - not nil.

They (financial advisors targetting the rich) use another term when want to know the liquid/investable part.... forgot what it is though. (liquid NW?).
Old 03-18-2005, 10:02 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

ah!: http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/15/pf/millionaires/

High net worth individuals! One could however also fall in that target group if renting and only have a measly 1Mill investable (as that is what these studies are used for: target people with money to invest and earn fat commissions on them!).

Quote:

In 2002, when the S&P 500 stock index dropped 22 percent, the number of high net worth individuals (defined as those with $1 million or more in investment capital excluding home equity) fell 100,000. The S&P rallied 28.7 percent in 2003.

Worldwide, a half a million individuals joined the millionaire's club, which topped 7.7 million. Their overall wealth topped $28.8 trillion, a jump of 7.7 percent over the year before.

The United States produced the most new millionaires but Hong Kong, at 30 percent, and India, at 22 percent showed the largest percentage gains. China, with a 12 percent jump in millionaires, was right behind the United States.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #37

Quote:
So, curious, when people talk about net worth, do they include the equity in their house?
Theoretically, all your assets count to determine net worth including your home, your car, and even the 5 cent pencil on your desk. However, if you never plan on selling your house or renting it, or getting a reverse mortgage, etc., then it should not be part of your net worth calculations for ER purposes.

I do not include net worth of my house when I speak of net worth for retirement purposes because at this point in time I do not plan on doing any of the above.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't understand why people that live in areas where housing is overvalued don't cash in and move to the Southeast? (i.e. Cali, NY, DC, Minneapolis)

I was in Georgia this week....I could live like a King there with the same living expenses.

TD
Old 03-18-2005, 12:41 PM   #39

Quote:
I don't understand why people that live in areas where housing is overvalued don't cash in and move to the Southeast? (i.e. Cali, NY, DC, Minneapolis)

I was in Georgia this week....I could live like a King there with the same living expenses.

TD
Please Tommy Dolitte, don't start that. They may come.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:26 PM   #40

Quote:

TD

You get what you pay for! *- I travel all over the world and I'm not moving from Minneapolis inspite of Dec, Jan and Feb