A new outlook on early retirement and life in general

I'm in a very similar situation. Haven't been on the boards in at least 6 months, but we're still plugging away at FIRE.

We make sure to take our annual, nice (read: pricey) vacations, because that's what the DW and I like to do. Sure we could retire earlier if we don't do it, but there's no sense in being miserable for the next 15 to 20 years. Besides, de-stressing and spending money on yourself is an investment in your health because it lowers the blood pressure/stress levels.

I'm in a very similar situation. Haven't been on the boards in at least 6 months, but we're still plugging away at FIRE.

We make sure to take our annual, nice (read: pricey) vacations, because that's what the DW and I like to do. Sure we could retire earlier if we don't do it, but there's no sense in being miserable for the next 15 to 20 years. Besides, de-stressing and spending money on yourself is an investment in your health because it lowers the blood pressure/stress levels.

So do other activities. :cool:

[FONT=&quot]Foxfirev5[/FONT]
This really hit home this last weekend when a neighbor our age wasn't outside at the lake. Another neighbor told us he had relapsed and probably won't make it. It kind of puts things into perspective.
[FONT=&quot]
This truly is another consideration.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Billy and I have recently received numerous emails from long time friends (none of us are “old”) informing us of health issues and unexpected deaths or accidents. One long time friend always wanted to retire (had savings and owned a million dollar flat in NYC) but was afraid he wouldn’t have enough money. Others were continuing to work to have more, but then a major health issue came in and instead of retirement, they dealt with life or death topics. Another friend had an unexpected motorcycle accident where his wife died and he is now in physical therapy trying to get his life back.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I guess it just comes down to not knowing the future. One can plan and get the ducks all lined up but Life’s challenges happen anyway.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Finding the balance in so many areas…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Akaisha[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement[/FONT]

Racing to the ER finish line at the expense of your day to day life is big risk. Sucks if you're waiting for your golden years and you never make it. Moderation. Work hard, save some money and have fun along the way.

Besides, de-stressing and spending money on yourself is an investment in your health because it lowers the blood pressure/stress levels.
Absolutely.

220px-Waterhouse-gather_ye_rosebuds-1909.jpg

Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May (Waterhouse painting 1909) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DH and I have gone through pretty frugal times and we have gone through times when we let loose a little bit more. Lately, I guess we've been more in a frugal mode because of the economy and kind of waiting to hear what is going to happen regarding Medicare for those under 55 as of 2011. Even though we don't need to, we always seem to tighten up on spending when everyone else is.

I agree that you have to have a little fun with your money along the way, otherwise, what's the point?

We love concerts and will be going to two this summer: The Doobie Brothers in August and Chicago in September. We'll be doing a little fine dining beforehand. We also like to go to museums, aquariums, zoos, etc. so we try to do something along those lines a couple of times a year.

We love our home and spend a lot of time having cocktails on the patio, barbecuing and hanging out - just everyday easy living.

When I was working, my job was stressful and almost round-the-clock ( I was responsible for Asia Pacific distribution sales ) with meetings and conference calls. In particular, the commute through traffic was literally driving me crazy ( pun intended ).

The stress probably contributed to my current High Blood Pressure, so now that I've crossed the bridge to retirement, I hope to work out more, relax more and bring it down.

Still, I recognize that life itself is full of stress - family, health, relationships, financial, etc. So one has to roll with the punches.

Yup - balance is the key - pay for what you value in life and minimize the cost of that which you do not (or get rid of it if you can).

I agree that you have to have a little fun with your money along the way, otherwise, what's the point?

We love concerts and will be going to two this summer: The Doobie Brothers in August and Chicago in September. We'll be doing a little fine dining beforehand. We also like to go to museums, aquariums, zoos, etc. so we try to do something along those lines a couple of times a year.

We love our home and spend a lot of time having cocktails on the patio, barbecuing and hanging out - just everyday easy living.

Those two shows should be fantastic! I love live music and it is one area we try to spend freely in, because every concert or festival leaves us with a story to tell.

What people are calling "balance" here makes sense only if your w*rking life is tolerable. For many of us, it wasn't, no matter how we tried to compensate for it.

If you're drowning, you don't pause to admire the pretty fish. You just do everything you can to get to the surface before you expire. That was my situation, and so that was my approach to FIRE. I had no other choice, and I'm happy with the way things have turned out.

What people are calling "balance" here makes sense only if your w*rking life is tolerable. For many of us, it wasn't, no matter how we tried to compensate for it.

If you're drowning, you don't pause to admire the pretty fish. You just do everything you can to get to the surface before you expire. That was my situation, and so that was my approach to FIRE. I had no other choice, and I'm happy with the way things have turned out.

Yeah, who are these people who "love their job"?

Well said!

Saving conflicts with living ONLY insofar that living=spending money. There are other ways to live. Just sayin'... :)

After one has invested time, effort and money qualifying for a particular occupation, and then additional time and effort building relevant experience/expertise, it is easy to feel trapped. But the reality is that - absent unusual circumstances - almost all of us have a choice whether to continue or try something else.

I have just started a new j*b. I think I can bring value. I think I am going to really enjoy this j*b. :)

After one has invested time, effort and money qualifying for a particular occupation, and then additional time and effort building relevant experience/expertise, it is easy to feel trapped. But the reality is that - absent unusual circumstances - almost all of us have a choice whether to continue or try something else.

True, people look at the time, expense and effort put into their careers as investments from which they cannot walk away. However, a truly objective investor will cut his/her losses at a certain point. While there is no way to put in "stop loss" orders for your career, there are various stages at which you can choose to do something else. The key to avoiding the trap is not becoming completely dependent on the full income from your chosen career, also called "golden handcuffs".

Money = Freedome to Choose (and walk away if necessary).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom