Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

No regrets here. I'm in a little different situation (no wife, no dependents, very few obligations, and 2/3rds of the way to "my FIRE number") but I had a job I hated, so I quit on the spot. I then took a 3-week roadtrip seeing friends Ive been meaning to visit, reconnecting and just taking it easy. It took me a couple months to find another job (significantly lower paying) but the sabbatical was worth it, I'm glad I never have to work that job again, and I did land a job I'm content with.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post

Oh well. You never get ahead of the pack by running with it.
VQ

That, Sir, is a keeper. I hope this table displays from a Money Boss post:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdroth...posted-public/

Old 02-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I took an accidental 16 month sabbatical at 48. Accidental in that I retired, never intending to work again. Did really well the first 12 months - relaxing, travelling around Europe and the US, working out. After about 12 months, I started to get ancy. So when I got a call about a cool sounding project, I took the job. The time off was absolutely wonderful. The decision to go back to work, in retrospect, was not among my best decisions ever. Luckily, I can always re-retire.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
Twice when I was between jobs, I went to Latin America and enrolled in a Spanish-language school. I also brought my bike with me to tour on. When I eventually returned home and went on job interviews, "studying Spanish in Latin America" seemed to be a very satisfactory answer to the inevitable question about what I had been doing since my last job. Depending on the interviewer, I would sometimes also mention bicycle touring. It, too, was generally well accepted.
Ha! I love this one. You got to better yourself AND take the time off. Good for you.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Yeah, same here. I doubt I'd have the option to return. They aren't going to keep my job open a year or two. I would just retire, take a year or two off, then see if I wanted to go back. I'd go back to some other kind of work, maybe, or I might just stay retired. Depends on how I liked my "sabbatical."
Though this assumes you'd have the option to never work again, which unfortunately I don't think I'm there yet. I work in a field where I'm pretty sure I could get a job again, just maybe not as good/high paying. But the time off might be worth it anyway given what everyone is saying
Old 03-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Great topic.

I plan on taking a 6-12 month sabbatical in 2010, right around my 10 year anniversary in Megacorp world.

I will be just about to turn 33 years old at that point, and about 50% of the way to being actually FIRE'd.

I will not be asking for permission, I will leave and if they want me back I will come back on my terms, if not.....I am in sales and jobs are plentiful.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Birds1Stone View Post

I plan on taking a 6-12 month sabbatical in 2010, right around my 10 year anniversary in Megacorp world.
so how was it?
Old 03-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

I am considering taking a year with my two kids and spouse somewhere in Asia as well. Did you home school your kids? Enroll them in a local school?
Old 03-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm going back to work this month after about a year-long sabbatical. I'm 55 and work in IT, so I guess I'm unusual in doing this. I quit the old mega-corp job last year and I'm going to work for a smaller company now. I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't in the position where I could probably retire if it didn't work out.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitchell View Post
Just weighing some options here. I'm 49 and am in the last accumulation years towards ER. I was reading a thread about heath & aging and it got me thinking about how important it is to take time to enjoy life.

Since I haven't hit FIRE, I do need to keep working (or move to Thailand!), but I find myself really burning out at work. I have a high stress job in the entertainment industry that pays really well, but I'm craving a break.

I'd love to hear any of your stories about taking a sabbatical in the late accumulation phase. Was it the right thing for you to do? Or did you look back and regret it for any reasons?

Thanks!
I did a Sabbatical at age 49 for a year. Spent 6 months on our boat with my wife doing an extended cruise. Between preparing for the trip, recovering from the trip and finding a new job, it was a year well spent. I knew then I wanted to ER, so I went back to work for a little over 5 years and then retired. Kids were launched and my wife left the workforce some 25 years earlier.

No regrets. Could not have ER'd at 49.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you look at my linkedin... I'm on sabbatical..call it what you will.. retired. Unless I decide to go back to work... I'm retired.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:02 AM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

I took a break at age 36 and went and hiked the Appalachian Trail. No regrets. Basically changed my life as a result.