Bored bored bored bored bored...

My old handle for gaming and web posting used to be BunsOfSteel, but I find people get envious even if they have never seen my buns or proven to themselves that my buns are indeed of the steel variety, so now I use a much less threatening BunsOfVeal. Goes over much better even if does make me the "butt" of some jokes. :)

In earnest though, is there a discussion on various places to retire?

Hey BunsOfVeal,

Good to see you're still browsing this site.

I was afraid you'd been caught in a police steak-out.

This illustrates what retirees really do when they're bored, and perhaps a little horny. That's no bull.

In earnest though, is there a discussion on various places to retire?

Yes, there certainly was.

After much discussion and many field trips, it was the unanimous decision of this board that the very best place was the hamlet of Three Brothers, Arkansas. Population 2.

:-*

Can we mooove on? :D

BTW: This "senior member" title under my username is getting to me. It would be alright if I could get the 10% senior discount at the local grocery store...

newellcr wrote:
BTW: This "senior member" title under my username is getting to me. It would be alright if I could get the 10% senior discount at the local grocery store...

Maybe you could pray hard about it and hope for bovine intervention...

-Jay

Getting back to the original post (Bored bored bored
etc etc), I was never really bored much when I was
working, and have been even less so in retirement.
I have heard many folks (on this site and others)
say something like "Yep, got all my ducks (plans) in a row and I'm outa here in 9 years". Or, "In ____________(fill in your number) years I will qualify for
____________(fill in the blanks) and THEN I can retire!"
My cousin is 58, single with plenty of money. Kids all grown and gone, a widow with both parents deceased.
Her husband died in his 40s. She's hanging on for those extra $. Why? She lives simply in a small town.
I just don't think like that. Sure, you can always get/save more if you work longer. You also may wind up dead (or worse) before you get there. I feel the same way when people talk about having to provide for
30 years in retirement. Sure you have to allow for the possibility, but there is also the chance you will have zero years, and
the longer you wait, the greater the chance. My wife and I operate on the assumption that we will be gone by this time next year. Therefore, whatever we want/need to get done needs to start right now

JG

malakito,

I would just reiterate what some here have already said or alluded to. Life is about the journey, not the finish line.

I was reminded of this having just "finished" playing Everquest 1 for 3 years. I had built up a lvl 65 rogue with 100s of alternate abilities, adorned in powerful armor, and been and conquered almost every place you could. The entire journey, my goal was to continue to get more and more powerful. At the end, i asked myself "what now"? Sad to say, but i dont think it fully sank in until the end that the whole point of it all was to enjoy the journey, not to get to the finish line meaning i never reached some finite point where i went into an "orgasmic state of bliss". Heck, if i were honest, i probably enjoy the beginning phase the most; when I was a peon like everyone else.

I suspect life is the same way, so makes sure you enjoy the entire journey best you can, despite our mutual distaste for working per se.

Back
Top Bottom