Citibank Dividend?

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Did Citibank reduce the Dividend card cash back from 5% for gas, grocery & drugs to 2% ?? If so, that just plain sucks. :mad: Anyone have any alternative cash back recommendations?

I wasn't aware that they did that. Their web site for the card still says "Earn cash back on everything–a full 5% cash back on purchases at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations, plus 1% on all other purchases"

I read in a finance forum that Citi was doing or had already done a reduction. The poster provided a link to Fat Wallet. I haven't investigated yet.

I called Citi about a month ago because of the same rumor... they said no, it was still 5%

I checked my last statement and it was 5%..

Now, Citi did reduce the AT&T card that was getting 5%.. but I do not know what they reduced it to... my mom had one and got a letter saying so..

I would check your statement and see.. but not online... for some reason it appears you only get the 1%, but when I look at my statement, the bonus 4% is there...

I havent rec. anything official, but it sounds like some people have and looks like they are reducing the cashback...I have a chase card with similar 5% back....(it is no longer listed on chase's website though)

Another option is amex blue, but you have to spend up to 6500 to get the higest tier...

Advanta has a business card that I might start using (approved last week)...5% on  gasoline, office supplies, utilities, computer equipment, cell phones and Internet services, and 1% on all other purchases, but it is limited to 25 dollars back per month and some people have trouble getting it if they press you on having a business....

I received an email a couple weeks ago that AMEX is cutting back it's program too. In October they will be stopping the double points of everyday items like groceries and such. Looks like I'll be shopping for another card or using the DiscoverCard more.

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
I havent rec. anything official, but it sounds like some people have and looks like they are reducing the cashback...I have a chase card with similar 5% back....(it is no longer listed on chase's website though)...

Aw man, that's bunk. Why they gotta hose us freeloaders who pay off our card every month and take 300 bones from them every year?

We were probably seriously affecting their billions in quarterly earnings... ::)

I've got a love-hate thing going with my citibank div card.

They send the bill out so late in the cycle that it usually arrives at my house right around the last couple days of the month, yet it's due by the 5th. I really have to scramble to get the payment in the mail by the next day to make sure I'm not dinged for a late payment. I know that technically I can send a payment in whenever I want but that's such a pain in the arse.

Contrast with USAA who usually has my credit card bill by the end of the month and it's not due until the 15th.

End rant.

bow-tie said:
Aw man, that's bunk.  Why they gotta hose us freeloaders who pay off our card every month and take 300 bones from them every year?

We were probably seriously affecting their billions in quarterly earnings...   ::)

I am actually surprised that the 5% back cards have lasted this long with less competition from bank mergers....I think it is nothing more than to get people to use more cc's and then pull the rug..... Kinda like the drug dealer giving out free samples of crack....:LOL:

WRBT said:
I've got a love-hate thing going with my citibank div card.

They send the bill out so late in the cycle that it usually arrives at my house right around the last couple days of the month, yet it's due by the 5th. I really have to scramble to get the payment in the mail by the next day to make sure I'm not dinged for a late payment. I know that technically I can send a payment in whenever I want but that's such a pain in the arse.

Contrast with USAA who usually has my credit card bill by the end of the month and it's not due until the 15th.

End rant.

I check it online and pay it online, posts the same day you pay it.

mickj said:
I check it online and pay it online, posts the same day you pay it.

Yeah, same here. I have five Citi's going on, so it's a little bit of overhead.

WRBT said:
They send the bill out so late in the cycle that it usually arrives at my house right around the last couple days of the month, yet it's due by the 5th.  I really have to scramble to get the payment in the mail by the next day to make sure I'm not dinged for a late payment. I know that technically I can send a payment in whenever I want but that's such a pain in the arse.

Why not just set up with autopay?  I've been doing it for years and never had a problem.

It's free, the money comes out on the due date so there's never a penalty, I save on postage, worrying, time in writing the check, etc.

It's a no-brainer.

Citibank - got my attention. They must not like us "freeloaders" that actually use the rewards cards for the rewards.

What I noticed Citibank did to their rewards card is really jack up interest rates and fees.

I always pay the card off every month so I don't pay too much attention to the interest rates. However Their recent increase really caught my eye. The interest rate went from around 17 percent to 28 percent or something like that. Then the late fees and other charges also went through the roof. I always pay on time but if I was late I would sure notice it in their fees.

I assumed that they didn't really want me as a customer since all I use the card for was gas and groceries. That is I only bought stuff that pays a 5 percent dividend. I use another card for other purchases. Basically I am optimizing my rewards. I guess Citibank doesn't like those customers.

- Thanks for the money Citibank, but I'll switch over to my Chase Rewards card now which has a pretty similar deal - 5 percent back on gas, groceries, and drug store purchases. And the Chase card doesn't come with the outrageous charges.

Yeah, I noticed the jacked up interest rate. I alwys PIF every month, so I don't really care in the grand scheme of things. The other thing I noticed is that they boosted my credit lines, like I even get any where near my credit limits in any given month.

MasterBlaster said:
- Thanks for the money Citibank, but I'll switch over to my Chase Rewards card now which has a pretty similar deal - 5 percent back on gas, groceries, and drug store purchases. And the Chase card doesn't come with the outrageous charges.

Doesn't the Chase card require you to maintain a balance or something to get the full 5%:confused: I know there was something that made me not get it over Citi...

I do have a Chase Perfect card which is 3% for gas only and 1% for everything else... this is the one I use for most purchases except the 5% benes from Citi..

Texas Proud said:
Doesn't the Chase card require you to maintain a balance or something to get the full 5%:confused:  I know there was something that made me not get it over Citi...

I do have a Chase Perfect card which is 3% for gas only and 1% for everything else... this is the one I use for most purchases except the 5% benes from Citi..

Nope - No balance requirements, no annual fee. You can get a reward of up to $300/year in "free" money from Chase. For what it's worth the card is called the Chase Rewards card.

I had another (different) rewards card from Chase which then switched to not so great rewards so I called them up to cancel the card. They then put me on the phone with a manager who asked me why I didn't want their card. I told them that I had the Citibank Dividend card and that their card didn't stack up. They then "upgraded" me on the spot to the Chase rewards card wiith the 5 percent dividend on gas/groceries/drug store stuff.

I can tell a few tales about rewards cards. Since I started with them my impression is that they get worse as the years roll on. They hook you in with great rewards and then switch you around. So, keep your eyes open for a better deal.

And as always, these cards only make sense if you pay them off every month.

Looked all over the Chase site and I can not find any mention of the 5% Card...

I can not look at fatwallet as the company will not allow... will look at tonight...

nope. the 2 cards are no longer on chase's site....I used the links from fat wallet to apply and they still work...(at least last week)... ;) There is also a number to call to apply...

I may have steered you somewhat wrong. I looked at my statement and the actual name of the card is ...

Chase Cash Plus Rewards card. That's the one that gives you 5 percent back on gas/groceries/drug store purchases.

I didn't see it on their website. You could call up Chase and ask if they still offer it.

Again....2 cards...right out of the fatwallet thread...

Chase CASH PLUS Rewards **versus** REWARDS PLUS

CASH PLUS- Max of $300 in rewards per year. REWARDS PLUS- Max of $750

CASH PLUS- Points good for Cash only REWARDS PLUS- Cash, Gift Cards, Travel, Merchandise

CASH PLUS- Redeem points at $50 without loosing value. REWARDS PLUS- Wait until $100
--------

We just received notices from Citi today regarding the change to our Dividend Cards. Effective October 13, 2006, "you will earn only 2% cash back on purchases made at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations." Added to the 2% group are convenience stores and utilities.

I feared this day but knew it would come eventually. :'(

SaveSome said:
We just received notices from Citi today regarding the change to our Dividend Cards. Effective October 13, 2006, "you will earn only 2% cash back on purchases made at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations." Added to the 2% group are convenience stores and utilities.

:'( :'( :mad:

SaveSome said:

I got the same letter yesterday for two of these cards. I also coincidentally applied for two of the Chase Cash Plus cards yesterday too. :D Just voting with my wallet.

Back
Top Bottom