considering switching to a gov. job

Make sure you are getting top dollar for your security clearance.
Security Clearance Jobs - ClearanceJobs.com
That is one form of IT job that is not going to Bombay.

The security you seek in life is elusive.

The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost (1874–1963)

So - is there a ballpark formula for calculating the federal pension? I was telling a friend he should consider working a government job for 5-10 years. Let's say the pay is $100,000 just for ease of calculation. What would the pension be? For five years of service? For ten years?

Not sure if I've phrased this question well - but please take a shot at answering it.

1% per year of service, generally speaking (unless fire/law enforcement/air traffic). So, 10% of your highest 3 years salary if you work 10 years.

I started working for a local government at age 22 and quit at 29 (last year). In our pension plan, you are vested after 3 years. I just got my pension statement. If I retire / start withdrawing at 55, I'll get $500/month for life. If I retire/start withdrawing at 66, I'll get $1,800/month. That's really pretty good considering most people don't have anything saved up by the time they are 29.

I started maximum contribution to my 457b plan when I was 27. Now of course it's shrunken quite a bit, but it's still something.

So if you can put up with the bullsh*t factor in the public sector, I say it's definitely a good deal!

"I started working for a local government at age 22 and quit at 29 (last year). In our pension plan, you are vested after 3 years. I just got my pension statement. If I retire / start withdrawing at 55, I'll get $500/month for life. If I retire/start withdrawing at 66, I'll get $1,800/month. That's really pretty good considering most people don't have anything saved up by the time they are 29. "

And we wonder why state and local public pensions are going broke.

How many years of service does it take for him to qualify to purchase health insurance from the government if he retires early? Or is that even in the equation?

General Schedule = GS. I have a Son that did "get in" recently (last 3 years). However, he holds a CPA certification and is working for the IRS. He entered a training program that lasted about a year and is now a "senior" GS11 heading for a GS12 (hopefully). IRS does have non-supervisory positions at the GS 13 leave. My Son was "old" to enter Government employment at the age of 37. He likes the job (works out of his home about 4 days a week and sets most of his own "audit appointments". His work is in businesses NOT individual tax payers.

This site may help: 2009 Salary Tables and Related Information

I'm curious as to how this system works? If you have a lot of experience but never work for the gorvement, what GS level do you get?

A while back, I tried applying for a Homeland Sec. job online and they asked me to entered some kind of level or classification but no explanation as to what it is so I left it blank. I did not get the job obviously.

I'm curious as to how this system works? If you have a lot of experience but never work for the gorvement, what GS level do you get?

A while back, I tried applying for a Homeland Sec. job online and they asked me to entered some kind of level or classification but no explanation as to what it is so I left it blank. I did not get the job obviously.

Usually the job announcement will give you the best idea of what to ask for. But if not, here is a general policy document

Operating Manual for Qualification Standards

The usual educational requirements are listed in a table at the bottom, and there is also a link near the top for experience requirements when used instead. This policy is only loosely used but will give you some idea.

Edited to add: I am not sure if DHS uses GS grades anyway, so this may be of no use to you. I think they might be caught up in the DOD pay scales.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom