Dealing with the emotions of leaving your job

Want2retire said:
How utterly depressing that she cannot think of anything to do in her spare time which might provide more intellectual stimulation than a (yawn) JOB.

I know... the favorite statement... "I am afraid I will be bored."

Great... let the boredom begin!

Ihamo,

Your mixed emotions are natural. It is a grieving process, although you initiated it by your decision.
The job has been a huge part of your life and identity. But while we may love and identify with an organisation the org. cannot love back. We believe that a non profit is different from other businesses but in fact it is not.
So grieving will take some time, it may even come back again after you have left.

But it is like when we lose a person that was close to us. Memories fade away and new layers of experiences and LIFE will cover the past, even though memories return from time to time.

(Been there, done that...)

Enjoy!

chinaco said:
I know... the favorite statement... "I am afraid I will be bored."
The primary fear of every Young Dreamer (although some of them ain't so young by the time that becomes the last obstacle to ER).

And after ER, every one of them wonders why the heck they ever worried about it...

SteveR said:
Comments I keep getting are the usual stuff. I had one today that really made me shake my head in sympathy for this person. She told me "I could never retire..I am afraid my brain would turn into jello. How can you even think about doing nothing all day?"

Reminds me of an article in the January 6, 2006 Financial Times, "Persona non gratis" by Andrew Cracknell [http://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage.ft?news_id=fto010620061041492536]. Here's an extract:

"In discussions in the office about what life would be like without work, the biggest drawbacks identified were boredom and exclusion. There was a nagging worry that if you didn't have to go to work you might feel left out if, say, you were having lunch with a former colleague and they had to abandon you at 2pm sharp to go to a meeting. This might highlight your lack of purpose as an empty afternoon stretched out in front of you.

"Well, yes - but what's wrong with a long empty afternoon? And anyway, haven't you the wit and imagination to fill it? A tiny portion of your afternoon - as you sit in the sun in a small park, fascinated by a magazine you've never had a chance to read before - can be taken up in delectably imagining the meeting your former colleague has gone to, and remembering the look on his face as he hurried off. You usually don't want to be there."

My last day came and went earlier this week. Actually I came in the next day for a short meeting as well, but that also gave me some time on line to finish up some personal stuff. It is a wierd situation in that I have not officially left -- for a variety of reasons I decided to let them present this as an extended leave of absence, and there is a small chance I may end up doing some consulting for them in the future. But other commitments preclude that for the rest of this year, and I have a gut feeling that I will most likely just walk away.

I'm not strictly FIREd yet, as there are lots of unknowns about our financial and work situation. I will not be working at a job for the next several months, but will be working on some things that are important to me.

Anyway, feeling better as the days go on. As I get more distance from things it will be easier to move on. Already feeling much better.

Life awaits...

lhamo

Ihamo,

Glad you are doing Ok with your situation. Retirement, regardless of the reason, may take a while to adapt to. Hang in there. We are in similar boats; my (former) employer said they would like me to do some consulting once they find my replacement so I can help them transition into the job. Also, a former coworker told me at my retirement party last night that they gave out my name as a possible consulting source. Seems I may be called soon to do some consulting work for somebody. Not sure yet how I feel about it.

DW keeps asking me "how do you feel?". I tell her to give me a few days. It is the weekend and tomorrow will seem more like a vacation day than my first ER day. I wonder how long it takes to feel retired rather than on vacation?

SteveR said:
I wonder how long it takes to feel retired rather than on vacation?
I think you reached it already at the point where you stopped rammin' & jammin' on yardwork...

There are other issues here. I was asked to set up an information security deot for mega corp when S-Ox was passed. I actually think they asked me becuase of ability although the had (sort of) eliminated an equivalent position elsewhere. The other guy was offerred a relocation package and refused it. I didn't ask to go back. I stayed with IT security because I thought the company was committed to it.

When the smoke cleared, all they wanted was to pass the audit. At that point IT security dropped to the same level of interest as the contents of the commode. So, I helped ensure that the C-levels stay out of jail and my successor (in my old job) got a huge raise etc. I had one word FIRE

Back
Top Bottom