Degree Programs

BA in Fine Arts

Did it help - yes. I was able to work as a Canadian in Hollywood as a special effects artists by applying for and receiving a TN Visa - one of the only people in my company who had the credentials to apply.

That said, the degree helped in the visa requirement. What I actually learned at school was, for the most part rubbish.

This is great advice:

I believe it's a mistake to go to school only with an eye to a future career -- that's taking advantage of a very small portion of what's on offer in college.

Learn how to drink, make lots of friends, get into trouble (but not too much!). I highly recommend staying in student housing if you have the opportunity. Skip having a room mate if you can help it and get your own room. You'll surely come out of things with some life long friends and endless connections all over the place.

Cheers.

Interesting question. Yes and yes, in a roundabout way.

BA Philosophy, but minored in Math. Since I knew how to program, the minor got me a job at a bank doing batch processing (yes, no programming work at all and totally repetitive) in the accounting department. Being in the accounting department and realizing I was asking stupid questions about tax issues spurred me to study tax law, go for an MS in tax, and started my consulting career. The training in philosophy was very helpful in reading and understanding the arcane tax laws.

Back
Top Bottom