Disability insurance?

MissParker

Dryer sheet aficionado
Does anyone have any opinions on RiverSource Income Protection Disability Insurance? I was wondering if anyone had dealt with these guys or any other DI company for that matter.
I am a healthy, single 42 yo female. My annual income is $75,000. RiverSource has quoted me $108/mo for the insurance. Too much? Any advice on what to look for?

I would be very, very selective about who I bought this from. You want a company with the highest creditworthiness and with a good track record of paying out when indicated. There have been companies I will not name who have had extremely public issues with trying to avoid paying legit claims (think class action lawsuits, insurance regulators taking action, etc.). If you ever actually need the payout, you probably will not be in a position to squabble with your insurer (for years).

I would skip Riversource, which I presume is part of Ameriprise (insert Slideshow Bob shiver). Instead, do get quotes from Northwestern Mutual, MassMutual, Guardian, and maybe USAA (not sure if USAA is still in the business).

I recall reading something about this in the past month or so -- I think it's a brand new offering from Ameriprise and only sold through their network.

Thanks for the advice. I will look elsewhere. They must be branching out to make this available outside of Ameriprise because I didn't even know they were related. It seems rather missleading to me.

Back
Top Bottom