Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_Warrior View Post
Another great one is if you know somebody who doesn't touch-type, just replace the 'M' and 'N' keys.
"Back in the day" when keyboard key sizes were the same I swapped a co-worker's Ctrl and Alt keys. Mostly DOS (remember edlin anyone?) programs that took a Ctrl-C to stop from running. We laughed so hard when he couldn't stop the programs from running.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A pretty good one is to take the receiver out of the handset in a phone. They can hear, but nobody can hear them...

Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #23

Had a guy at work who was a bit annoying - conversation about him was that he must have been the guy who had his lunch money stolen when he was a kid - one day my husband goes up to him and demands his lunch money - he hands it over and the rest of the office nearly died laughing.

They put a pinhole in my water bottle that leaked slowly while I took a drink - leaked all over my uniform (not a good thing) - of course I thought I had problems with my mouth until everyone atarted laughing at me - the culprit? yup - my future husband

He is the ultimate jokester at work - I've laughed so hard sometimes - he really does know how to have fun while working
Old 09-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Used to page people with phone numbers like the police department, the gay hotline, etc....

Had a group of maintenance guys all in one small torture chamber office area. I programmed all their phone numbers into speed dial, and used to play "bounce the ring around the room"...

In one factory where I worked, guys using a grinding wheel to remove welding burrs wore aprons, the strings of which, inexplicably, would burst into flames, with a little help from a cig lighter...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

When I was in 8th grade we had a crusty old Civics teacher that liked to use film strips as a teaching tool. The smart alect who sat next to me hollowed out a book and packed it with batteries and flashbulbs. When the room was completely dark he triggered it and everyone was temporarily blinded, allowing him to stow the book. The Civics teacher looked and looked afterward but never found the evidence. I ran in to said smart alec at my 30 year HS reunion - yep, an engineer, now.

I used to carefully wrap the prongs of the Civic teacher's projector cord with electrical tape and plug it back in. It drove him crazy wondering why even a new bulb wouldn't fix it.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #26

I have a co-worker who turns his phone on speaker full blast when he listens to his voicemail....one slip up and the voice response gives back his partial code number and based on touchtone, obvious that he is entered 4 of same digits...

Got on the system and changed his message so if somebody calls when he is on the phone, you get a lady rabbling about her cat followed by a direction to leave a message after the meow [off the net]....it will take him forever to figure it out since his regular message (when he is out will work fine)
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

We sometimes unplug mouses on people computers or change their backgrounds. Everything is in good taste though.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I guess this is an old joke, but on April 1st my dentist friend got a message to call a Mr. Lyon at 555-1234. The number is for the zoo, of course.

The receptionist at the zoo apparently fields calls for Mr. Lion all day long.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:57 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

This one is kinda gross and really immature but it did make for some good laughs and was popular back in the 80's when the place that I worked at had corded phones. If someone was on the phone with a customer, often a co-worker would pass gas right beside him then nonchalantly walk away.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via MSN to Fool_working Send a message via Yahoo to Fool_working
We have a whiteboard at work where people out of the office leave their location and dates they will be gone (for example, Fool in Portland 9/1-9/31). We have one co-worker who ended up staying past the date on the board and we didn't know when she would be back. My boss crossed out her 'back' date and replaced it with "When the Raiders win the Superbowl" (she is a huge Raiders fan). Her reaction when she got back was priceless.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #31

DH loves to pull pranks. He took one of those fart machines to work ( you push a button and it makes a very believable noise). He put it under a co-worker's chair in the work room and started hitting the remote button. He says at first people pretend not to notice, and he loves seeing how long it takes before someone will say something.

I was telling a colleague of mine about this, and he just had to borrow the machine. I brought it into work for him, b/c he said he wanted to take it home and play some practical jokes on his sons. Well, he couldn't wait. He put it under a mat table in the gym and pulled the curtain around the table so it appeared someone was in the cubicle. Then started pushing the remote button. Thankfully, there was only one patient in the gym and her therapist...their reaction was priceless (one of them even started waiving their hand in front of their nose), and they had a good sense of humor about it afterwards.

Then later, when I was leaving a voice mail at a doctor's office, my coworker came in activated the machine right directly into the speaker while I was speaking! I was so befuddled I hung up mid-sentence!!! I mean, come on, I had just left my full name and credentials on the voicemail. I was really mad at first, but now I can laugh about it. I can only imagine the reaction of whoever listened to that voice mail...and how many people they replayed it for!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #32

One of the most satisfying pranks was played on the corporate security czar. His job was to annoy us developers by making us fix any security vulnerability he could imagine in the product we were developing. One day he was meeting with us and logged in to his account to show us something. He forgot to log out when he left the meeting. We defaced some files in his account with the message "You've been hacked!"

Another prank I played on the guy in the adjoining cubicle was to attach a USB keyboard in my cubicle to his computer. This allowed me to type random characters at any time on his computer. He could still use his serial keyboard like normal.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

There are a couple of people here at the prison who are always leaving their terminals on while going next door for coffee or something. Some of them even have a hard time understanding why the Associate Warden is calling to ask them about their new lawn mowing service and the discount they just offered her.

More on the line of payback than prank: When I used to work the midnight shift in the Control Center we had a locksmith who would come in to help throw keys. This was a great help and so none of us ever refused him, despite the fact that he was rather flatulent. But then he started making early morning use of the unvented restroom. Our standing rule was "Standing Only". (punintended) If you had to sit you got a relief and went somewhere else. But not him. Even after I asked him not to do this anymore he continued to foul our air, always right before he would leave for the morning. So finally, one day I got totally fed up and tightly stretched clear Saran Wrap over the bowl and left the seat down for him. He quickly got the message.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked with a guy who used to grease people's phone receivers with vaseline and then call them. Pretty gross. This guy went on to become a VP of Engineering at another firm.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Just HAD to share this one,,,ROFLMAO

There is a bathroom in the LTs office here, but most of us only use it for standing calls of nature. For stinky business we go to the separate three staller in the Admin Building. But our Captain goes in there two or more times per day and laughs his butt off at the wrinkled noses when he comes back out. So last week, while he was out on sick leave we got one of those plywood study desks from up in Education and put it in front of the toilet with an extra telephone and his name plate. We put his IN/OUT boxews on it. And the secretary had the rec department engrave a bright red plastic sign for the door that covered the one that read "staff bathroom". The new one read "Captain's Office". LOL, the Warden even came in early the next day to see his face. The Captain came popping in like always, didn't even notice the bright red sign. But he sure noticed the desk!!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Many years ago I was in marketing and a had real dislike for the CFO, and he me. It was a smallish company so he had to personally approve all expense reports. Three associates and I attended a 3-4 day convention at a resort.

I got aholed of some of the paper that the hotel printed it's receipts on and submitted phony bills, along with the legit bills for rooms and food, as we always did. The phony bills covered such items as $100/hour "hostesses" (3) for our 5 hour open bar/open house, 10 bottles each of Jack Daniels, Dewers Scotch, Patron tequila etc., para sailing excursions for prospective clients, gift baskets and flowers for several female clients. You get the idea...

I gave the heads up to the President/CEO of my little trick on the CFO. As I suspected, the CFO was eager to closely review the expense reports (I think it totaled almost $12k) and he could not race to the CEO's office fast enough to rat us out after reviewing what we submitted.

We all had a pretty good laugh at that caper. The CFO left about 6 months after that and took all the fun out of it. But, we still had a good chuckle recalling the adventure years after he was gone.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #37

Funny, I also pulled a "bathroom into office" prank a while back. During one of the belt-tightening periods at my corporation I posted notices on all the bathrooms saying that they would be converted into "dual use zones" where someone would have a desk next to the urinals. I even moved a desk and computer into one of the bathrooms. I made up all kinds of rules for how to interact with the "bathroom office employee". Do not bother them if the TP runs out, and avoid unnecessary small talk :-)
Old 10-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm always finding surprises in my cube after an absence. One afternoon, let's just say that the seam in my pants just "couldn't take it any longer". So, when I came back from getting a new pair, in my chair I find a "Pants Repair Kit";...the biggest binder clip you've ever seen and a roll of reinforced packing tape! Now, if I'd only had it before wasting my time getting a new pair...
Old 10-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

While we are on the subject of bathroom office pranks, here's one from an engineer's twisted mind.

When MP3 players are used for evil . . .

(Don't click on the audio at w*rk)

RoboDump 1.0
Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
While we are on the subject of bathroom office pranks, here's one from an engineer's twisted mind.

When MP3 players are used for evil . . .

(Don't click on the audio at w*rk)

RoboDump 1.0
Got to get me one of those...although, in our office seeing somebody in nice shoes would be a give away...