False promises at work - not being promoted

younginvestor2013

Recycles dryer sheets
In mid 2016 I was given more work responsibility, with the idea that I would be given even more work responsibility at the onset of 2017. I work for a small company, and my "predecessor" (i.e., another jr. employee who also held the same role that I did a few years ago) took the same path I've been on. My predecessor took on the same additional responsibilities mid-year, and was promoted at year-end, and subsequently took on additional responsibilities.

I reached out to my manager in November when we got the email about our year-end reviews to see when would be a good time to discuss work responsibility, pay, and title for 2017. I got a very snarly reaction asking why I thought it was appropriate to talk about pay. Mind you, there is a very very large internal pay inequity at play between where I am and just the level above me (to the tune of about 70%). I told my boss that I am motivated to succeed and take on additional responsibilities in the new year but she still thought I was out of line. I also indicated that there is a very large pay gap between where I am and just a level above me, so I was curious to have the discussion as to where things would be going from a pay perspective.

I had my year end review in December, which was 95% positive. Of the 4 raters that rated me, 3 of 4 were "exceeding expectation". The 5% that was not so positive was that they said they think I am being too aggressive about my career growth and that "perception is reality" and it may come off the wrong way to some people.

Despite all of this, and in light of my predecessor's career path and my good reviews, I thought I was still for sure slated for a promotion. Given that my boss (apparently) likes to initiate career growth conversations, I decided to hold-off and let my boss approach the convo, thinking it would come some time this month.

New titles were announced out of the blue today on a company wide call, and I thought I was going to be announced as promoted and that just maybe my boss hadn't gotten around to telling me and it would be a surprise.

However, that was not the case, and my name was not on the list. I am a little baffled and shocked to say the least. My boss emailed me today about "taking a stab" at my draft goals for the year and that we could go over them and modify as needed once the draft is ready. I replied asking if we could have a conversation before-hand to see if my mind is in the right direction as to how I should be drafting my goals and she replied saying that she prefers I take a first stab at it.

I am a little ticked off that I did not get promoted. I'm not sure as to:

1) If I should blatantly tell my boss this?
2) If I should set my goals up to take on even more responsibility even though I am not seeing any promotion
3) Keep my mouth shut and play "complacent" for another year and maybe it will come for 2018. If I want to stay at my company I feel this may be the most viable option since, apparently, I am being too aggressive.
4) What to do in general. I feel very undervalued and like I am almost being picked on. While our forecast for 2017 is slightly lower than that of 2016 due to uncertainty in the market, I feel like them giving me more responsibility without any additional pay is a slap in the face. I am not one for having a good poker face, so I am just concerned as to how my behavior is going to pan out for the rest of the year.

Sorry for the long winded post but I just needed to get it off my chest!

Or is the writing on the wall, and maybe it is time for me to look elsewhere?

That's possible. But it also possible that your boss thought you came on too strong, and just got a little offended. If the pay discrepency is as you say, odds are your immediate boss is not the only one that needs to OK a promotion, and there needs to be a place for you, as well.

That said, I found over my career the best way to approach this was during your review, and asking the question "what do I need to do to move to the next level?".

The first time I did this, my boss gave me some very concrete things to do. I think he was already on board, but needed the "proof" for the higher ups. Keep in mind I had only been in the job 6 months when this occurred. The next year, when I asked, he said you don't need to do anything more, and I was promoted a month later.

Also, in many places (especially where I worked) the expectation was for you to perform the higher level work for up to a year before you got promoted.

For the record, while I complained (to myself) at the time, it was not really a bad way to handle things. You neede to prove you could do it before you got paid for it.

Money talks and bull excrement walks. I would go see what else is out there. Frankly, with that large a pay inequity, they will never get you caught up. Better you jump elsewhere (or have a credible threat to do so) and stop wasting time hoping they will get around to you.

How do you get the 70% number.

The CEO of the start up I worked at was not making that much more on salary than me.

How do you get the 70% number.

The CEO of the start up I worked at was not making that much more on salary than me.

Because I was told by a couple employees as to what their salaries were. Mind you, these employees should be paid more, due to having (slightly) more experience than me and a higher title/responsibility, but not 70%, IMO. Logically, if I were actually promoted, I should be looking at a 35% pay raise then..... :confused:

And you believed them?

There was a unwritten policy at the Megacorp I was at. First you do the job then you get the title. The other biggie was I want that position and nothing about money!

If I was capable of doing the next position I'd do it. If the pay is what you think, it doesn't matter to me(your manager) there's a floor full of people who want more money. Why do you want or deserve consideration for this huge promotion?

Obviously if you don't know you won't get it. It's then a great time to discuss what do I have to do to prove myself? That's the discussion where your manager has to put up or shut up. If they can't articulate the path then assume there is not one.

You titled this false promises. Were you actually promised promotion? Your narrative reads as if you were asked to take on more responsibility and you assumed promotion would happen because it happened to your predecessor

Perhaps even before the review you were behaving ( probably subconsciously) as if you expected promotion- your reviews seem to say that. I would set goals for growth , not mention the promotion and , if you want, search quietly for a new job. Perhaps your manager communicated poorly when you were asked to take on a new role but it is your reputation that is at stake ambitious and hard- working is goodl aggressive and pushy not so much. You may well be misunderstood but in many fields your reputation can spread outside the company to others

a promotion is not a pay raise. a promotion is an increase in responsibilities that sometimes come with a pay raise

sounds like you were already promoted with the additional responsibilities

And you believed them?

I did for two reasons....1) I've seen our company financials and what the payroll line item is and 2) I found a forward looking internal pay analysis for our department and the $ figure was in-line with both of these figures.

And because I work well with this particular individual and trust them and we get along.

You titled this false promises. Were you actually promised promotion? Your narrative reads as if you were asked to take on more responsibility and you assumed promotion would happen because it happened to your predecessor

Perhaps even before the review you were behaving ( probably subconsciously) as if you expected promotion- your reviews seem to say that. I would set goals for growth , not mention the promotion and , if you want, search quietly for a new job. Perhaps your manager communicated poorly when you were asked to take on a new role but it is your reputation that is at stake ambitious and hard- working is goodl aggressive and pushy not so much. You may well be misunderstood but in many fields your reputation can spread outside the company to others

I was not explicitly promised "a promotion" BUT I have been told at least 8-10 times over the course of 2.5 years that I am part of the long term plan for our department and our company and that there is a ton of growth for me available at the firm.

In fact when I first started at the firm, I was told this fairly regularly, and my boss even asked me a few times if I was interviewing to leave the firm :confused: :confused:

Also, in my year end review, my bosses told me that they don't think that I trust them, and that they want me to place more trust in them.

But given all of the above and what has already been discussed, I don't understand how they can think I don't trust them when I've been given false promises and paid extremely below what others are.

With your follow on posts.... it seems there is something off between you and your bosses that either you do not see or you are not telling... I do not have any idea what, but some of what you say leads me in that direction..

I remember when I was first out of college and working at a big accounting firm... I was a senior and we had to evaluate all of the underlings.... one guy came into my office to ask me what his chances of being promoted were... I was honest with him and I said 'not good'... he thought he was a hard worker (he was OK, but not the best) and should be promoted... but, there was something 'wrong' about his attitude that came across badly... (note, I was not his supervisor)....

Fast forward 15 years and I met him... he is a big time lawyer and a large law firm doing very well.... he took my talk to heart and went and got a law degree and changed his attitude... he was doing MUCH better than I was... but, he was telling everybody in the room how important that talk we had years earlier had changed him...

I would have a heart to heart with your boss... there might be something that you are doing that is turning off upper mgmt.... or, there just is not a place yet to move you too... and you are pushing too much...

You mentioned that your company forecast for 2017 was less than for 2016. It's likely that management is trying to control costs and salaries are usually the most expensive line item. If this is the first time they have not kept their promises, I would try to find out what you need to do to progress to the next level, and maybe even to be somewhat conciliatory in your presentation. You don't want to put yourself on the outside of the "in" group.

It's easy to misinterpret the intentions of management vs. reality, as I have found from both sides of the aisle. As an example, you saw the payroll expense for the company. Did it include state and federal taxes, unemployment, disability and Social Security matching benefits, retirement and insurance? Your take home salary is quite a bit smaller than what you cost the company in payroll expenses.

If they have a habit of breaking promises to you, then I would take it all with a grain of salt. In small companies, the personalities and values of ownership have a lot to do with how you progress within a company and I've seen all types. Trust is something that is earned, but so is mistrust - promises made vs. promises kept.

You need to think about what has been said and whether it is really a promise, or just an implicit expectation you've developed as part of a career development discussion. They really are two different things - a promise is something quantifiable and totally explicit. Given you have a lower plan for the year, the company doesn't sound like it's really feeling its game. It could be moving in the other direction and the business plan doesn't call for a heavier org chart in your area.

The biggest consideration is how marketable you are. Are people just like you making a lot more money in other companies? Did they get raises this year? Do you have all the skills and qualifications to move over to one of these other companies? Talk to your peers at these other companies to see how green the grass really is, and if it is truly better on the outside, that may be a good option for Plan B. If you are not as marketable as you should be, figure out what you need and make those skills your career development goals for this year.

Best Wishes and Good luck!

Last edited:
Gee , where do I start.....................

Huge jumps in pay normally result from moving to another employer concurrent with a higher level position. What kind of money are you worth somewhere else ?

The usual solution is to move up AND out.

Sometimes the solution is a move to an unrelated field or industry. This I have done twice in 40 years of work.

I could co on and on , but I'm pretty damn boring.

At work a promise is only relevant if in your contract.
But even then the company situation could change, your performance or attitude cound not meet expectations or... or... or...

If your company needs you in a higher position you might get promoted.
If you are needed in the current position you will not get promoted.

If you feel you are "worth" more money or responsibilities right now you can test the waters by looking for another employer.

You seem to feel some entitlement from comparison to your predecessor.
This is wrong.
He/she is unique, you are unique and the situation of "then" and "today" is unique, too.
Good luck.

You say you work for a small company. I'm surprised to hear that a small company places such emphasis on performance goals, reviews and career advancement. So often small companies are truly understaffed, and their real emphasis is just getting the job done--not lost in high level "Human Relations." It sounds as if you're just getting lip service.

Performance reviews in our MegaCorp were really for defensive purposes. In modern times, so many employees think they're owed promotions--before it's time. And they're also quick to sue whenever passed over by other employees that do a better job. And if there's any hint of discrimination for race, religion or gender, God help your management as they're automatically guilty until proven innocent.

Dealing with performance reviews in my MegaCorp was a very difficult job task. We were numbers orientated, and just coming up with the statistics to substantiate our job reviews was a big job. I had over 25 young college graduates to keep up wiith, and i really didn't have the time to put up with even a few prima donnas in an ultra fast moving business.

It's almost unheard of to hear of a company's goals to be reduced. Our MegaCorp threw new and higher goals on us year after year that we usually deemed unattainable. And somehow we met them. Without stretching for great things, profitability used to support higher salaries just won't be there.

I think I'd put my feelings on the line with your management. Either they step up or they don't. But in the meantime, you might want to be looking for other positions at other companies--put out some feelers.

.... I had over 25 young college graduates to keep up wiith, and i really didn't have the time to put up with even a few prima donnas in an ultra fast moving business.

I think I'd put my feelings on the line with your management. Either they step up or they don't. But in the meantime, you might want to be looking for other positions at other companies--put out some feelers.

This is a great post, but I am pulling out these points especially--the OP seems to have already gotten a reputation as a bit of an entitled prima donna, from his comments about his bosses etc. I wonder if it's best for him to try to repair that by stopping being obsessed with getting what he perceives as broken promises and what a predecessor's path is and instead do the best job he can for the next year, and then get another job (after repairing any damage to his reputation). IMO he is way too focused on the money right now.

I reached out to my manager in November when we got the email about our year-end reviews to see when would be a good time to discuss work responsibility, pay, and title for 2017. I got a very snarly reaction asking why I thought it was appropriate to talk about pay. Mind you, there is a very very large internal pay inequity at play between where I am and just the level above me (to the tune of about 70%). I told my boss that I am motivated to succeed and take on additional responsibilities in the new year but she still thought I was out of line.

Compensation, career growth, job responsibilities... all of these are ALWAYS reasonable topics to discuss with one's manager. If yours won't talk about them, then she is not doing her job of developing her people. That's a bad sign and should prompt you to look elsewhere.

But before we pass sentence on the manager, review your own actions objectively. Make doubly sure that you have been entirely professional in your discussions. Are you certain that the snarly reaction was not precipitated by an impertinent action? Hostility has a way of leaking out, and once out it breeds more hostility in response. I have had good bosses and bad ones, and even the good ones had bad days. Don't leap to judgment on a single data point.

You are already into the 2017 performance period. If you have earned the promotion but it doesn't come next time around, you should plan to depart -- in a quiet, professional manner. Keep in mind that you won't be "teaching those idiots a lesson" by quitting. You will simply be pursuing other employment that better matches your interests.

Best of luck! Consider that however it turns out, it's probably for the best.

With your follow on posts.... it seems there is something off between you and your bosses that either you do not see or you are not telling... I do not have any idea what, but some of what you say leads me in that direction..

I remember when I was first out of college and working at a big accounting firm... I was a senior and we had to evaluate all of the underlings.... one guy came into my office to ask me what his chances of being promoted were... I was honest with him and I said 'not good'... he thought he was a hard worker (he was OK, but not the best) and should be promoted... but, there was something 'wrong' about his attitude that came across badly... (note, I was not his supervisor)....

Fast forward 15 years and I met him... he is a big time lawyer and a large law firm doing very well.... he took my talk to heart and went and got a law degree and changed his attitude... he was doing MUCH better than I was... but, he was telling everybody in the room how important that talk we had years earlier had changed him...

I would have a heart to heart with your boss... there might be something that you are doing that is turning off upper mgmt.... or, there just is not a place yet to move you too... and you are pushing too much...

A lot of merit here, but I have a different take on the final recommendation regarding heart to heart talk. I've seen too many of these work situations, both me personally and friends/coworkers over the years, where it's just impossible to change upper management's impressions. In my case, it took my resignation to get an overdue offer of a promotion (which I turned down). I think OP needs to put his/her best foot forward publicly, but actively look for other employment.

Huge jumps in pay normally result from moving to another employer concurrent with a higher level position.

Not in entry-level consulting work, +70% is pretty normal when moving to the next rung.

Judging from the way our friend communicates I have a big hunch he's working in one of those, in which case some mega-corp rules do not apply.

The issue you are displaying is perceived entitlement, and that won't work in a company like this. Be grateful you got the feedback.

Mind you: you may have the right skills to get promoted, but its clear someone has issue enough. Luckily that's easy to correct. People don't mind ambition per se.

You have two options:

• Drink the kool aid and act like a grateful happy camper that's picking up the feedback and learning. Ask for informal mentoring for example how to get the balance right between healthy ambition and perceived entitlement. Take feedback seriously, and act like you are working on the 'problem'. Specifically: get regular updates on improvement. If you show corrective behavior, make sure your supervisor gets to hear about it.
  • If you can't change perceived behavior, leave. I'd go for the first option though.

In other words: adopt the way of the weasel to get what you want :D

[Edit] On re-reading your original post: Be aware that "Exceeding expectations" may not exactly mean that. There is such a thing as grade inflation. You might actually be average. Also, Mr. predecessor might a very fast learner. Just realize displaying anger/frustration doesn't get you anywhere, and learn to pick up on the unwritten rules a bit more. Your supervisor is a very busy person and getting you on track for improvement is just one task among very many. He doesn't have time to chitchat with you so you can write down stuff. He wants you to write a plan, show you take feedback seriously, come up with a plan to address negative feedback so he/she can tick the box and hopefully find an excuse to promote you later on. It's your job to find that excuse: make an action plan, and show your making steps. In six months you'll be on your way.

Last edited:
Well, there seem to be a number of things going on here.

First, what others earn or allegedly earn doesn't much matter... what matters is what you earn and what others who have similar responsibilities, education and experience at your employer and other potential employers earn... that said a 70% difference with the person that you report to is a bit on the high side but it is hard to know whether it is because you are underpaid (which is actionable) or they are overpaid (which is not).

I recall a time when I was disappointed in my raise for the year... I had a brief conversation with my boss that I was disappointed and why, but that I was patient and liked working there so was willing to let my disappointment go and I hoped that they made me square later on. It worked out ok and I got a better than expected raise later on. Most years were about expected, some were disappointing and others were better than expected... it all evened out over time.

You would be best to have a candid talk with them about your disappointment and what they think you need to do to get that promotion... it puts them on notice that it is important to you and as some have mentioned, in many cases promotions are principally title changes with a little bump, but in other organizations they are title changes with a big bump and in others you need to essentially do the bigger job for a while before you get the bump. Also, start looking in case things don't work out... sometime you have to change employers to get that bump in pay. My last change was a 35% bump.

I remembered this previous thread on this topic: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/pay-discrepancies-in-corporate-america-82600.html.

At that time, you felt you'd been promised a promotion and were mostly concerned about how much money you could expect when it came; so I can see that not getting the promotion or a large raise is really disappointing. I do think you've gotten a lot of good advice in this thread and in the previous one. Unfortunately, this may be an irreparable situation if you've gotten a reputation, deserved or not, for caring more about "what's in it for me" and "how does this move me ahead" than about your employer's business. It's very hard to change others' perceptions, and you may need a fresh start at a different employer to get past this.

Did you meet with a head hunter you mentioned last summer? What was the outcome of that discussion?

Also, have you ever read askamanager.org? You might get some additional good advice if you post in Friday's open thread there.

Thanks for all the responses, everybody. I appreciate the insight but unfortunately feel very confused as to what path to take given the varying responses.

I think for now, my plan is to sit tight and see how my 2017 goals discussion goes with my manager. Given that the firm thinks I am being too aggressive, do you think it makes sense to not bring up at all my disappointment with no pay / title change?

I think I should either sit tight for another year and see where things go, or actively look. I do think there is room for growth at my current firm, but I am not sure why I am not seeing $ growth even though I am seeing increased work loads.

Lastly, and maybe I should have mentioned these two things earlier, but across the board they announced that there will not be any pay raises at all this year, although there were a few prootions.

Back
Top Bottom