Join Early Retirement Today

Re: FIRE vs. Semi-Retire
Old 09-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

There is also the option of going part time, but at something you enjoy much more. You may not be able get the health care benefit (fun things usually don't cover insurance), but you will get money to put towards purchasing insurance on your own. I have been giving a great deal of thought to jobs that may bring in that extra $5-15K a year, but are part time or seasonal and more importantly something that wouldn't be high stress and actually might be pleasurable. It wouldn't be official FIRE, but it's also a far cry from being a wage slave. Especially if you can squeeze by without the extra income if need be.

Looking at it another way, a part time job that brings in $5K a year (disregarding taxes), is equivalent to an investment of $125K returning 4%. Making $10K a year part time is like adding $250K to your funds. Of course it still is work no matter how you slice it. Still, worth considering.

One more perspective that I am thinking about is that it might make the plunge into full blown FIRE a little easier to take. You get to cut the ties with the big official career, but you still have a little bit of a safety net if you need it.

Here are some part time work ideas that SG offered me on another forum (I have added a few of my own as well)...

Work in community service
Run for local election (school board, zoning board, town council, etc.)
Work at the polls as part of the Election Board
Work taking tickets or as part of security at a local event
Work for your local Irrigation Board
Start a small business
Start a community Newsletter
Buy a suitable property and build a hotel/apartment or store
Collect and sell antiques
Head a small non-profit organization
Be an author
Write a book
Write articles for your local newspaper
Be an artist
Learn woodworking or metal working and create sculpture
Play an instrument in a band
Consult/Technical
Invent a device and obtain a patent
Solve a company’s current technical or manufacturing problem
Serve as an interim executive
Teach
Become a substitute teacher in nearby school districts
Teach courses at local colleges or junior colleges
Develop short courses in your field of expertise
Be a Tax Preparer
Be a real estate agent
Be a landlord
Take a job in a local store (plus get the employee discount)
Become a clothing store salesperson
Sell power tools
Sell sporting or recreational goods
Work in a home improvement outlet
Take up a trade skill
Build custom cabinets
Become a handyman

Work at a Tennis Center
Become a tour guide/leader (hiking, cycling, fishing, climbing, etc)
Work at a museum or gallery
Usher at the perfomance center
Home inspector
Fix computer problems in the neighborhood
Web page designer
Seasonal work at a national park

Also from SG:

Another article:
Americans choosing work after retirement
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7140314/

And some more job ideas:
Ten hot jobs for today's retirees
http://tinyurl.com/cqblw

--Biker

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for posting the list. Very interesting.

My grandfather retired and worked in a small cemetary attatched to a catholic monastary until he was 75. He worked about 10-20 hours a week. The monks gave him lunch and friendship. He really enjoyed it. I think I might like to do something like this.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #23

Here's a link to the "10 Hot Jobs for Retirees" article that does not require signing up for spam.* Scroll down to May, 2004.

http://www.co.yakima.wa.us/e&t/news.htm
Old 09-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sure fire way to lower your SWR . . . Keep working!
Old 09-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
Sure fire way to lower your SWR . . . Keep working!
Sure fire way to make SWR completely irrelevant.......die!

JG
Old 09-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Sure fire way to make SWR completely irrelevant.......die!

JG
I'm sure the kids will enjoy it though.

Nice post! Laughed my butt off.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I haven't picked a date yet but I will likely be relatively young when I pull the ripcord - late 30's or early 40's depending on how life plays out over the next 3-5 years.

With as much as 60 years of life still in me (I hope), I expect to semi-retire, rather than go for the full thing so early. I just don't have enough faith in any "Safe" withdrawal rate to risk my entire financial future for such a long period of time. My biggest worry is that 20+ years after retirement, once I've become essentially un-employable, I'll realize that my portfolio alone ain't gonna cut it. And then you'll see me working 40+ per week as a Wal-Mart greeter trying to make ends meet. Not how I like to envision my "golden years".

Instead I plan to retire from the 12+ hours a day I now give to MegaCorp to something a bit more leisurely. DW is currently self-employed as a freelance writer and is making a push into travel writing. Her schedule is her own and she takes only the projects she wants. The Internet and international cell phone service allow her to work from anywhere in the world. She's making a respectable living at it, too. I figure with my help she can cut her hours down to about 20 per week and still make enough to cover our day-to-day expenses. We'll then have the flexibility to go where we want and do what we want while still having some money coming in the door so we won't have to worry as much about what the market is doing to our portfolio.

Cheers

Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
DW is currently self-employed as a freelance writer and is making a push into travel writing.* Her schedule is her own and she takes only the projects she wants.* The Internet and international cell phone service allow her to work from anywhere in the world.* She's making a respectable living at it, too.*
This is quite an achievement! What fields does she cover? What sort of markets does she sell to?

Ha
Old 09-19-2005, 07:22 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
This is quite an achievement! What fields does she cover? What sort of markets does she sell to?

Ha
Thanks, I'm quite proud of her.

She worked in book publishing for about 10 years and did some part-time freelance writing in that space - back cover copy, promotional materials, etc. That formed the core of the business when she started freelancing full time. She then used her publishing contacts to break into some related print magazines like Publisher's Weekly, Pages, etc. She has now dropped most of the original publishing work in favor of the print magazine stuff. She recently had her first article accepted by a major travel magazine, which we hope will be a watershed event. It wouldn't be a bad gig if she could make travel writing her bread & butter - fingers crossed.