Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here's a contrarain idea. Live life in the fast lane: lot's of fats, booze, chicks etc. but LBYM. Then you can enjoy a 10% SWR and still leave a pile behind.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
kumquat's post reminds me of a couple of lines from a song by Blondie
Die young, stay pretty
Live fast 'cause it won't last...

Another extreme view of investing in one's self: plastic surgery--nose job, boob job, eye lift, tummy tuck, etc. Aren't there magazine articles and maybe even valid studies that suggest attractive people are chosen for jobs and promotions, get the sales deals or contracts sealed, etc.? There's also the self-satisfaction that one looks good, plus the bonus of higher probability of attracting rich and/or powerful mates.

Just messin'. The thread is actually good (until my post). Lots of good reminders to not be (too) obsessed with scrimpin' and savin' to the detriment of taking care of ourselves.

flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe
LOL My cousin actually calls buying new clothes 'investing in herself' - she is also (almost) always broke. But does get to hang out with people who are sort of well-off (so we joked she could be our 'spy' in the world of the rich and financially educated. uhm. That was before discovering this board.) Trouble is her well-off entrepreneur/investor boyfriends tend to be so busy they have no time for her and she eventually dumps 'em! So yeah, there's more to life than making money...

flipstress, there's actually some truth in 'attracting mates' - and sometimes those mates give jewelry or other gifts or such, and the money is more than returned... LOL (A friend of mine had the experience, although they eventually broke up cause he was a workaholic too, among other things. This friend has lost all her family, including her brother at a young age, and says, 'Money isn't everything'. She'd even get angry at me if I tried to save too much.)

What I invest into? This may sound strange, but I've invested quite some time into finding environmentally healthier alternatives and generally healthier stuff, not just food but also other things. Am still in the process of learning, but this really means a lot to me.
Into friendships... & learning about things that interest me (writing, songwriting, singing, Art...).
In the past I've read many books on psychology, communication, energy healing etc.
I suppose that if needed I could pass off as a guru or 'life coach' - many of my friends have come to me for advice and such. At a time I threatened them with starting to charge for it!

I like reading novels, this widens my understanding of the world & myself, is considered 'market research' by me, & gives ideas for storylines etc. when necessary.

In the past, financially I invested most into books, clothes, and healthy food. And an occasional Art course or such.

Have helped the kids from the street with studying.
& have a sponsored kiddie in Brasil. Really wanted to do that for a long time!

My life is not very balanced right now, but ideally it would be
freeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:37 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado
I invest in myself every morning at 6am when I head to the gym with a couple of my friends. I spend a long day in lab doing my research and studies so that when I get home to my girlfriend we can sit down for an hour and a half and cook a nice dinner together. Maybe do another hour of homework and then spend another half hour just sitting/laying around talking before we go to sleep early. Every other day at least
either hang out at a friend's house or meet them for happy hour(we all work hard, so we subsequently play even harder.)

Natesal is offline   Reply With Quote