GE corporate audit staff?

I am interested in the GE CAS program and I am also interested in getting my MBA and CPA while doing it. Can someone please explain how this works?

I know that I could do a part time MBA.

However, for a CPA, don't I need enough accounting units in school and work experience in an accounting firm? Or, do you take classes when you on in CAS that counts towards your CPA? In addition, do the hours you spend in CAS qualify for CPA accounting work hours?

Is this correct - 6,432 views of this thread? Why?

Is this correct - 6,432 views of this thread? Why?
This thread's been kicking around for over two years.

Or maybe this is the hottest place on the Internet to find GE CAS jobs...

I am interested in the GE CAS program and I am also interested in getting my MBA and CPA while doing it. Can someone please explain how this works?

Doing either an MBA or a CPA during CAS is impossible. Doing both is laughable. If you already had the required accounting credit hours and had passed the CPA exam, you could probably use CAS to fulfill the work experience requirement to become a fullly licensed CPA. However, I believe the CPA requires you to work under a CPA, and you may not always have that option on CAS (I would guess that the majority of CAS'ers do not have a CPA).

Or maybe this is the hottest place on the Internet to find GE CAS jobs...

Funnily enough, if you google "ge corporate audit staff" this thread comes up #1 in the results, and GE's own offical HR page for CAS comes up #2. The irony is delicious...

I started my career on GE's FMP program and after completing that and having a regular GE job for a few years I joined CAS. This was in the mid 1990's. It was one of the best experiences of my life. The current CAS associate gave a pretty good summary of the pros and cons. One other important thing to know is that to even get accepted onto the program, you'll have to complete a one month pilot, which is basically one a one month assignment/interview where you travel with an audit staff team, learn first hand what they live like and what they do. They will see through you right away if you are there for monetary reasons alone. That is not what they want. This is by no means an easy program to be accepted to nor to stay on. The feedback is honest, frequent and, in my experience, fair. Promotions are a true weeding out process and not for the weak-hearted. That said, it is exhilarating for the bright and inquisitive mind and an unparalleled program for someone wanting to catapult their career. This is the fast track to becoming a leader at GE, not to a quick retirement. Good luck with your decision.

This person is either trying to imitate or actually is Charlene Begley.
BW Online | July 28, 2003 | Crashing GE's Glass Ceiling

interesting.

Corporate Audit Staff in GE: 2009 Assessment Day (Final interviews)

Hello All,
Was searching for some valuable information on what the assessment day for CAS looks like and ran into this thread. Can anyone asssist please with the peculiarities.... what to expect and all? The assessment day is sometime later this month and I believe this is a fantastic oppotunity I don't want to miss out on.

Regards

CAS

I've been GE's Corporate Audit Staff (CAS) for 2 years. It's really an extension of FMP. Do you like what you're working on now? As a CAS associate, you'll be doing very similar things except you look at financial cycles from a control perspective similar to Sarbanes Oxley.

For starters, I've really enjoyed my experience. Here are my pros and cons...

PROS:
In 2 years, I have 13 countries under my belt in Europe, Asia and North America. I've met the most amazing people from all over the world that I would've never had the chance to meet in any other job. I work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. They challenge you to improve your critical thinking. I have saved a good chunk of change.

CONS:
You will work long hours. However, if you are efficient and prioritize appropriately the hours become significantly reduced. You may not always get along with the people you're working and living with. Again, reviews are only 4 months long so the end is always right around the corner. If you are open about meeting new people with a variety of backgrounds and personalities, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

I recommend talking to an associate who's auditing your business for more insight.

Best of luck on whatever decision you make. FMP is a great stepping stone. ;)

Does anyone know what is the average salary of a CAS? I was invited to assessment day with GE, and think working with GE would be great for my career, but I have other propositions and the best to compare them it's financially.

I would appreciate if someone could answer that...

JRock, the post you quoted is five years old and the poster hasn't been heard from since.

Not sure how our Early Retirement forum became a clearing house for GE CAS employment information, but I do know we're failing miserably at it!

Assessment day

Hello All,
Was searching for some valuable information on what the assessment day for CAS looks like and ran into this thread. Can anyone asssist please with the peculiarities.... what to expect and all? The assessment day is sometime later this month and I believe this is a fantastic oppotunity I don't want to miss out on.

Regards

Hello Focus247,

How did it go? I hope you have succeed...

Right now I am in same situation has you did, and I wonder if could give valuable information about the assessment day...thank you

JRock, the post you quoted is five years old and the poster hasn't been heard from since.

Not sure how our Early Retirement forum became a clearing house for GE CAS employment information, but I do know we're failing miserably at it!

I am sure you are right, but I already know nothing, so I do not have much to lose.

Man, those little Google spiders sure are good about rooting stuff out. This thread is #4 on the hit list for "GE CAS".

JROCK - focus247 joined this forum six months ago, posted once and has never signed on since then. Might we suggest you search elsewhere?

Just another victim of SEO who didn't take the time to assess the value of the results.

As for GE, the lack of information on the program (let alone any positive endorsements!) appears to speak volumes about the program...

Does anyone know what is the average salary of a CAS? I was invited to assessment day with GE, and think working with GE would be great for my career, but I have other propositions and the best to compare them it's financially.

I would appreciate if someone could answer that...

Hi JRock,
Started CAS in January, and actually saw your post, but was too 'busy' to reply...:) This should at least give you a clue on the rigours of the programme.

SO far its been great, though tough and challenging.. been all over u.s and europe in the last 5 months. Hope you got to accept the offer.

Well, anyone joining CAS should be breced for the challenged. Definately not for the fainthearted.. be ready for fire drills at short notice, think and speak intelligently at all times (even when you cant see value in what you are doing), stay close to your computer 24.7 and be ready to hit the ground from day 1!... Your typical week-day is in 2 folds:

8am to 8pm

and then 9pm to 2am

Seriously.. no exageratting

and be prepared to work from 3pm-12pm on sundays.

For the salary, depends on where you're hired from, but dont think it'll be less then $40,000 a year..

But once you can come out of this alive, you'll be earning good cash, and handling a leadership role.. so not a bad 2 year sacrifice for the reward it promises..

Hi JRock,
Started CAS in January, and actually saw your post, but was too 'busy' to reply...:) This should at least give you a clue on the rigours of the programme.

SO far its been great, though tough and challenging.. been all over u.s and europe in the last 5 months. Hope you got to accept the offer.

Well, anyone joining CAS should be breced for the challenged. Definately not for the fainthearted.. be ready for fire drills at short notice, think and speak intelligently at all times (even when you cant see value in what you are doing), stay close to your computer 24.7 and be ready to hit the ground from day 1!... Your typical week-day is in 2 folds:

8am to 8pm

and then 9pm to 2am

Seriously.. no exageratting

and be prepared to work from 3pm-12pm on sundays.

For the salary, depends on where you're hired from, but dont think it'll be less then $40,000 a year..

Sounds like hell to me. Of course I'm retired, so a 1 hour work day would suck.;)

...For the salary, depends on where you're hired from, but dont think it'll be less then $40,000 a year..

Yowza. With that work schedule, I would hope the salary is no where near 40K. Anything under 100k would hardly seem worth it.

Words of wisdom through the ages. As true now as when first written.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom