Hey Young Dreamers... get this-

Well, I actually don't have a land phone, so I don't receive any telemarketing calls. I have a cell phone and I didn't want to spend the extra $20 a month for a second phone line. There's still some "early retiree" in me.

I contribute to large national organizations. I contribute to some of the schools I have attended. I occasionaly give money to something local, where I might physically hand the money over to a person. Most of the big charities have secure websites and they publish how much of the money actually goes to the charity. If something goes wrong, you can always dispute the transaction with your credit card company.

Wabmester: If you give me your phone number, I can invite you to contribute to the Daystar ER Foundation.  :D

daystar said:
There's more to life than early retirement. I would hate to see this board turn into a big competition where young dreamers challenge each other to see who can retire first...

There's a whole lot more to life than working 9+ hrs/day, too.

MRGALT2U said:
Hey, my brother's class (high mortality) was class of '65 also.  Not sure if any died in Viet Nam.  None from my class did (1962).

JG

DW and I were discussing this (Viet Nam casualties) yesterday.
Although I personally do not know anyone who was killed, I do have 2 close
friends who were wounded. Man, they can tell some stories. My best friend
was a medic. He doesn't talk about it.

JG

Count me in the camp that likes beans and rice. Unfortunately, I have not had any for awhile, but now I am hungry for them.

Jarhead- that is too funny!

I agree that there is more to life than just retiring early, but I think that the vast majority on this board agrees also. We contribute to our church, support a child overseas and various other charities. Maybe, we would have been RE if we had always taken that money and invested it, but it would not have been worth it. I have a feeling that alot of people on this board to contribute to worthwhile charities, because they seem like such nice people.

Dreamer

dimwit said:
I'm just saying why don't we all eat rice and red beans and retire at the first possible moment....

because you want those extras.

Cut the extras and LBYM and beat me at 45.

That's what my brother does. I'm telling you....the guy's total cost of living (south TX) is $12k, which includes a mortgage. The trick? He won't spend money on anything. He eats peanut butter sandwiches, watches a 13" TV with rabbit ears, drives a mid-90's Kia, etc. The good news: his savings percentage is insane. The sad part is he'll never spend a dime of it.

dimwit said:
I'm just saying why don't we all eat rice and red beans and retire at the first possible moment....

because you want those extras.

Cut the extras and LBYM and beat me at 45.

Why do you want us to beat you? :)

JG

I'm actually just trying to beat myself... my FIRE date just keeps changing - since I keep upping the ante. So I was just yacking at myself - this forum is a really great sounding board.

I'll have to say I've been on the road to FIRE on my first day of work (exactly 20 years ago to the month) - and just have been upping the ante from barebones to realistic to (almost now) quite enjoyable. I was really on my own and stumbled upon the Terhorst's book about 8 years ago (quite on my own) and also the Retire Early which convinced me of a relatively safe 90% SWR of exactly 4.78%. Now after this most excellent discussion board (and the recommended readings) I really feel comfortable with a SWR of 4% with the added flexibility of reducing this to 2 to 4% if need be (that is, really working with 2 budgets just to get the right mind-set.)

I have to say that any young dreamers (or anyone for that matter) that find their way to this board is blesssed. So much covered for just about all cases and lifestyles - of those enlightened individuals that have that constant murmur of freedom and FIRE while young enough to enjoy it.

dim

Nords said:
Lemme guess-- unmarried with no kids, right?
I'll take it one step further....
He's unmarried, no kids, and a girlfriend who doesn't mind paying for everything. I get upset with her just for putting up with that!

Even when we were kids, he was pulling the "uh, I forgot my wallet" routine.

dandan14 said:
He's unmarried, no kids, and a girlfriend who doesn't mind paying for everything. 
Wow, a girlfriend with a wallet!

OK, I'm getting confused here. What's the problem again?

Nords said:
Wow, a girlfriend with a wallet! 

OK, I'm getting confused here.  What's the problem again?

The problem is that DanDan14 wishes he had got there before his brother.

ha

Sticky rice is the only "real" rice.

43 FIRE'd in 2 weeks. Wife n'2 kids.

Enjoy!

dandan14 said:
That's what my brother does.   I'm telling you....the guy's total cost of living (south TX) is $12k, which includes a mortgage.   The trick?  He won't spend money on anything.  He eats peanut butter sandwiches, watches a 13" TV with rabbit ears, drives a mid-90's Kia, etc.  The good news:  his savings percentage is insane.  The sad part is he'll never spend a dime of it.

I'll have to re-read Dante but I'm pretty sure from your description that your brother lives in one of Hell's inner circles.

. . . Yrs to Go said:
I'll have to re-read Dante but I'm pretty sure from your description that your brother lives in one of Hell's inner circles.

He said his brother lived in South Texas...close enough. ;)

REWahoo! said:
He said his brother lived in South Texas...close enough. ;)

Have you ever been in Northwest Texas? :) Fortunately, Texas really is like a whole other country.

JG

Back
Top Bottom