Hey Young Dreamers... get this-

dimwit

Dryer sheet wannabe
I'm just saying why don't we all eat rice and red beans and retire at the first possible moment....

because you want those extras.

Cut the extras and LBYM and beat me at 45.

I am 36 and FIREd but not a big fan of beans though... Cheers!

I am targeting my early to mid 40s, but dont eat beans and rice :LOL: I probably could go earlier, but will probably stay until 20 years service so that I get some extra medical benifits. We dont eat out a lot, though, which I think is a big drainer for most people. I think LBYM doesnt mean to give up on everything. I guess that it all depends on your values and most people spend every dime even as their incomes are high so there is a lot of extra spending that doesnt really give much "value" to people's lives.

Hey, don't diss rice and beans. Dirty rice is good. Make it nice a spicy.

I love rice and black beans spiked with hot sauce. Great single man's lazy and simple meal. Add a side green vegetable and you have nutritious meal. When my local supermarket has Goya beans on sale 3/$1, I stock up.

I eat rice and beans for lunch all the time! What's better than a healthy $.36 lunch?

Red beans and rice - ya gotta have da sausage - jalapeno added is called New Orleans style - when you buy Blue Runner brand in da can. Like stew or chile - everybody has 'their own secret family receipe' - right??

Monday is 'wash day and traditional red beans and rice time.'

But can you cook beans and rice in a kayak or wear them on your head? :D :D :D

college roomates made the best red beans, rice and cornbread on the planet. They took pity on me and my mac & cheese dinners with Tang, and let me mooch all semester long. I bought them concert tickets, it all worked out! :D

"red beans, rice and cornbread... mac & cheese dinners with Tang"?

Livin' large in college. You all must have been rather wealthy. What ever happened to ramen and water?

justin said:
"red beans, rice and cornbread... mac & cheese dinners with Tang"?

Livin' large in college. You all must have been rather wealthy. What ever happened to ramen and water?

I got poorer later, ramen became a staple as well as discount/day old you cook it yourself deli pizzas, which were 2 for 3 bucks. Each pizza was two meals, so I "treated" myself to that on weekends.

Two weeks ago I was taken out for a business dinner at Ruth's Chris steakhouse, filet mignon and a good cabernet. I may wax nostalgic about college, but I wouldn't go back! (well, for the food, anyway)

Can of field peas, slice of white bread, glass of instant milk...

Repeat

I don't miss those days.....................

CT,
I know what you mean. I took my first ER at 50 after 30 years. I am still working; different company; differnet state, but will do FIRE in two years.

Life is short and tomorrow is not promised. My wife worked for the same company for 34 years, retired early at 56 and died 7 months later. We were on track to have a good and secure retirement and I still will. I like knowing I can leave anytime I want to on my own terms. My managment knows this and pretty much leaves me alone. It is hard to find anybody with my experience in this area to do the job I do for what they pay me; so they just let me do my own thing. That makes it almost enjoyable to work.

SteveR said:
CT,
I know what you mean.  I took my first ER at 50 after 30 years.  I am still working; different company; differnet state, but will do FIRE in two years. 

Life is short and tomorrow is not promised.  My wife worked for the same company for 34 years, retired early at 56 and died 7 months later.  We were on track to have a good and secure retirement and I still will.  I like knowing I can leave anytime I want to on my own terms.  My managment knows this and pretty much leaves me alone.  It is hard to find anybody with my experience in this area to do the job I do for what they pay me; so they just let me do my own thing.  That makes it almost enjoyable to work. 

Hello SteveR...........I haved posted before about all of the people I knew who have
passed on. Won't repeat. However, my brother recently MCed his HS
reunion (40 years). Class of 80+............14 are dead. Think about that.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
However, my brother recently MCed his HS
reunion (40 years). Class of 80+............14 are dead. Think about that.

Similar experience here. Going to my 40th in September and 15 out of a class of 72 are dead. :(

REW

REWahoo! said:
Similar experience here.  Going to my 40th in September and 15 out of a class of 72 are dead.   :(

REW

Wow: Where'd you go to school? Those are high numbers (percentage wise).
Our 50th reunion, class of 54 was held last year, but we had already made other plans and didn't attend. We had a class of 125, and they sent out "In memoriam" for 6 of our classmates.

An aside, I was one of those listed. Maybe they know something I don't know.
Told my wife I was going next year no matter where they hold it. Should be a fun time. :D

Jarhead

ex-Jarhead said:
Wow:  Where'd you go to school?  Those are high numbers (percentage wise).
Our 50th reunion, class of 54 was held last year, but we had already made other plans and didn't attend.  We had a class of 125, and they sent out "In memoriam" for 6 of our classmates.

An aside, I was one of those listed.  Maybe they know something I don't know.
Told my wife I was going next year no matter where they hold it.  Should be a fun time. :D

Jarhead

Seems the reports of your demise were greatly exaggerated. Hemingway
was reported dead twice and even read his own obit. Anyway, I agree
that's a high rate. I hated high school but have completely enjoyed
each and every reunion. Go figure............

JG

ex-Jarhead said:
Wow:  Where'd you go to school?  Those are high numbers (percentage wise).
Our 50th reunion, class of 54 was held last year, but we had already made other plans and didn't attend.  We had a class of 125, and they sent out "In memoriam" for 6 of our classmates.

Jarhead, I think we are likely seeing the small sample problem. Your class numbers are probably low, RE Wahoo's seem high.

I believe the last I saw, my college class (we are mostly age 64-66 now) has lost about 85 out of 1000. Quite a few were early on, in outdoor accidents, battlefield injuries, car wrecks, etc. Now the cancer, heart disease and miscellaneous crap are showing up.

My class is very fortunate to have a skilled and empathic writer who has written an obituary for every class member lost so far. I told him I hope to write his.

Ha

HaHa said:
Jarhead, I think we are likely seeing the small sample problem. Your class numbers are probably low, RE Wahoo's seem high.

I believe the last I saw, my college class (we are mostly age 64-66 now) has lost about 85 out of 1000. Quite a few were early on, in outdoor accidents, battlefield injuries, car wrecks, etc. Now the cancer, heart disease and miscellaneous crap are showing up.

My class is very fortunate to have a skilled and empathic writer who has written an obituary for every class member lost so far. I told him I hope to write his.

Ha

Yeah, my brother and I (58 and 60) have had a few classmates die in accidents, etc, plus a
few suicides. Now the "misc. crap" is taking a toll. Hey folks, it's a natural
thing. Just today I talked to a neighbor who is battling prostate cancer.
He said "I'm still alive!" I said "Me too! Good for us!".

JG

ex-Jarhead said:
Wow: Where'd you go to school? Those are high numbers (percentage wise).

I agree the numbers are darned high. Small town in East Texas, class of 1965. A bit surprised that none died in Vietnam. I'm not fully up to speed on all of the reasons but do know that one died of a stab wound in prison, another was struck by lightning while on a tractor. A couple of deaths from auto accidents, two from complications related to diabetes, several from cancer.

REW

REWahoo! said:
I agree the numbers are darned high.  Small town in East Texas, class of 1965.  A bit surprised that none died in Vietnam.  I'm not fully up to speed on all of the reasons but do know that one died of a stab wound in prison, another was struck by lightning while on a tractor.  A couple of deaths from auto accidents, two from complications related to diabetes, several from cancer. 

REW

Hey, my brother's class (high mortality) was class of '65 also. Not sure if any died in Viet Nam. None from my class did (1962).

JG

There's more to life than early retirement. I would hate to see this board turn into a big competition where young dreamers challenge each other to see who can retire first. Some people take "living below your means" to extremes and end up torturing themselves for years just to retire a few years earlier. Lately, I am learning how to be more generous with my money. I'm about to turn 26 this month and I have already started a habit of giving $50 a month to a charity or non-profit foundation. I'm sure some people on this board would freak out about this and start thinking ..... "what is the future value of $50 per month compounded at 8% interest blah blah blah."

My goal is to retire somewhere between 48 (early retirement) and 57 (full retirement). I'll be getting a Federal pension. In the meantime, I have been trying to better myself and keep myself entertained. I completed my MBA while working full-time. I hit the gym about 3 times a week. I read business magazines and books. I go out for lunch or dinner once or twice a week. Sometimes, I go see a movie on the weekend. Yes, all this costs money, but it's better than "eating, sleeping, and retiring early."

daystar said:
I have already started a habit of giving $50 a month to a charity or non-profit foundation. I'm sure some people on this board would freak out about this and start thinking ..... "what is the future value of $50 per month compounded at 8% interest blah blah blah."

Naw, I'm freaking out because a lot of charities are very inefficient, especially when it comes to fund raising. When I was your age, I would occassionally get a phone call from somebody raising money for a Police or Fire Department charity. I figured that I better not piss off police or firemen, so I'd give them some money. Later, I found that the company who solicited money for some of those organizations kept close to 90% of it for themselves, and passed on a miniscule amount to the underlying charity. So, now I only give directly to local organizations that I know fairly intimately or to national or international orgs who publish how that money gets distributed.

Back
Top Bottom