How do you make the (work) days go by faster?

All I know is that watching the stock ticker to see how my options were doing did not work to shorten the day. Focusing on the task at hand was best for me.
Amen to that, just doing the "next right thing."

Buzzword bingo? Or some other stupid game of the day, take bets on how many time the newbie says "like", number of bathroom trips by the old guy, how many times the new father falls asleep, etc etc. Or doughnuts, last type to be eaten, and the exact time and by whom, a trifecta? QUOTE]

We would play 'Who picked up the nickel'. My co-w*rker would document who picked up the nickel and keep an Excel sheet with the data. I guess just do what ever it takes :)

When things are slow, I have sometimes allocated work over the week so that there is something to do every day. You can also bring in reading, all the better if it is to some degree work related.

I'm in IT, and in the early years, 30 years ago, I did lots and lots of programming. I found that when I could go off in a corner by myself and get totally absorbed in a program, the time would just fly by. At times, I was almost (I can't believe I'm saying this) "happy at work". But unfortunately, in my experience, Corporate America won't let you stay off in a corner by yourself, you have to be a "team player", go to meetings, fill out meaningless paperwork, interact with people you don't like, etc., etc.

I still get to do a bit of programming, and, it still makes the time fly.
I haven't found anything else though, that gives that clock a kick in the pants to get it going faster. I think the secret is to get totally absorbed in a challenging task that you can work on by yourself. For me, that was programming.

But unfortunately, in my experience, Corporate America won't let you stay off in a corner by yourself, you have to be a "team player", go to meetings, fill out meaningless paperwork, interact with people you don't like, etc., etc.
Yes, thank you! One reason I'm not aiming for any promotions (next position up is supervisory). Pay's bigger but the headaches are even more so. At least in my current job, it's 90% actual work and only 10% all that other stuff.

Sirius satellite radio via Internet is worth Its weight in gold. Comedy Channels,
talk radio, sports talk, music and financial networks. I only turn it off when I need to concentrate on a task. It's priceless to me

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Do you have ideas for how to make the days pass faster during the next several years?

Headphones and an iPod do the trick for me. If you put some effort into it, add some audio books. My iPod has a radio, too.

Then there are bathroom breaks. Old folks need frequent stops, and always use the furthest stop.

Wear a pedometer, and let it be known you must walk 10,000 steps a day or you will not meet your Fitness Goal. Everybody respects fitness goals!

Then there are bathroom breaks. Old folks need frequent stops, and always use the furthest stop.

I have 20 months to go which is going to be tough because I'm now eligible to retire. But working to age 62 will significantly increase my pension. One thing that helps is I now have many doctor's appointments - nothing life threatening but more dental, dermatology, etc. I used to schedule appointments to minimize work disruptions. Now I just take what is available and don't come back to work if done within 2 hours of my normal leaving time (I have more sick leave than I can use and it rolls into your years of creditable service when you retire and the money is peanuts). Previously I was saving my annual leave to cash out the max I could upon retirement. Now am planning to take my leave to include taking one day a week off when feasible. As I get closer to the end, I might take some mental health days off too. Also plan to take a walk each day and I spend some time checking on my 2 retirement forums and the market news and retirement articles on the internet.

Last year I had 3 tough technical projects - completed 2 and am now down to 1. We were reorganized a couple of years ago and merged with a larger group that is keen on Quality of Life, Performance Culture, etc. and our technical work is now not as valued. While I prefer to be in a strictly technical organization, I have decided to embrace the new thinking and volunteer to be on a few "business management" type initiatives (e.g., ISO 9001). I may also sign up for many of the sort of trivial training courses that are offered. Will try to just work on a few technical projects, preferably short term projects. As an engineer, I feel slightly guilty about this approach but my new management has pushed me into this.

As a last resort, I may inquire about working part time taking some leave without pay. There is a provision for this in our company regulations that allows you to work 1/2 time for up to 2 years without impacting your pension.

Last edited:
To pass the time, today I made some personal health goals using google sheet charts.

Last edited:
Wear a pedometer, and let it be known you must walk 10,000 steps a day or you will not meet your Fitness Goal. Everybody respects fitness goals!

Megacorp paid me yearly for wearing the pedometer and getting 12k steps per day.

Now it's my own fitbit. That suggests a way to make time fly. Find work colleagues and have fitness competition for steps each week.

The best work days are when I'm extremely busy. On those days there is not enough time in the day to get it all done and the day is over with in no time. I even enjoy the days when all hell is breaking lose, keeps it exciting.

The worst days are when there is nothing going on. Unfortunately you probably have to pretend like you are busy or at the least you are still required to have your butt in the seat all day even if you have nothing to do.

Slow work days are the biggest reason why I want to switch to working remotely from home. If I was home and there was nothing going on I'd watch tv or play video games. I resent the fact that most employment requires face time even though you are being hired as a professional to work autonomously and get projects done, not to punch a clock.

I think its a Baby Boomer thing. My generation and younger seem less uptight. I'd gladly take a cut in pay if it meant I didn't have to waste my time. This is why I am pushing towards early semi-retirement asap.

The best work days are when I'm extremely busy. On those days there is not enough time in the day to get it all done and the day is over with in no time. I even enjoy the days when all hell is breaking lose, keeps it exciting.

The worst days are when there is nothing going on. Unfortunately you probably have to pretend like you are busy or at the least you are still required to have your butt in the seat all day even if you have nothing to do.

Slow work days are the biggest reason why I want to switch to working remotely from home. If I was home and there was nothing going on I'd watch tv or play video games. I resent the fact that most employment requires face time even though you are being hired as a professional to work autonomously and get projects done, not to punch a clock.

I think its a Baby Boomer thing. My generation and younger seem less uptight. I'd gladly take a cut in pay if it meant I didn't have to waste my time. This is why I am pushing towards early semi-retirement asap.

Oh, God, this. Seriously. All of it. Except for the video games...I might be inclined to read a book or nap instead. :D

My fastest and best work days were those that I napped through.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Hi,

Corporate work is my fastest and best path to FIRE, but after all of these years, it's getting harder and harder to get through the days. I would trade off pay for lifestyle, but I don't see a good option there because I really want to be free of the schedule and other obligations that come with paid work.

Do you have ideas for how to make the days pass faster during the next several years?

Thanks!
you dont. Find a job that you like to do that the day goes by fast. As for me, i work 12/day 6 days a week to scarify for my early retirement. I like my job, but i dont love it; obviously, I love to retire more.

totally agree with you on this

Back
Top Bottom