How many times salary?

I really don't look at Xtimes expenses. My goal was a combination of SS along with dividend mutual funds and bond interest that cover all my expenses. Since SS and dividend funds increase most years I feel I have inflation covered. Now, I'll be leaving a bunch of money but I have a younger DW, a good CPA and great kids. When I'm not around DW can start drawing down if she needs to and won't have to worry. I don't mind helping kids as long as I have enough to enjoy life while I"m here. I'm lucky, saved enough and have a great family.

Having a pension fortunately for me, negated any need to worry about assets. I just simply retired when I could live on 60% of my take home part of my pension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just read Bengen's 4% rule article using historical data. That article is great. Easy to read. I am curious what critics have to say about this article, so will research that. I am curious if they can dispute the statistics.

I tried reading kitces. Too much lingo I don't understand. Way over my head. Damn it Jim I'm a pharmacist not an investor! ;)

Have yet to look through other suggestions.

I think 40x is probably a bit conservative for a 60-65 year old. A 3.5% WR would be reasonably prudent for that age especially since if need be vacations could be dialed back and are a high % of the total expenses. That would equate to ~$2.5m in today's $.

If you haven't already done so you may want to get a copy of Quicken Deluxe or higher and run your situation through the Lifetime Planner.

I noticed tho that if you give QLP an annual budget, it calculates withdraws at some higher figure. I guess that's based on the anticipated tax rate you give it so if you say $100k, it will withdraw $125k.

IIRC, the Fidelity planner also did something similar.

So would it be 25x your budget or the withdrawal that various calculators come up with to meet the given budget?

.....So would it be 25x your budget or the withdrawal that various calculators come up with to meet the given budget?

Neither. I look at survivability using 5 to 10 different tools. In my case they all pointed to ER to different degrees.

Then I withdraw what we need to live.

Back
Top Bottom