Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The difference is I never USED my physical appearance as a means to gain favor or promotions in the w*rkplace.
What about getting out of speeding tickets?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
What about getting out of speeding tickets?
Funny you should mention that....a story, if I may.

I got a speeding ticket for doing 52 in a 30 mph zone in late 2004. I was going MAYBE 35 mph at best, but this turkey gave me this ridiculous ticket. There were at least 5 other cars in the vicinity, all going about the same speed, but I won the prize. Hmmm...I wonder why?
I appeared and pleaded not guilty, despite the DA's offer to reduce it on the spot.
No thanks.
I cleverly found out the make and model number of the radar in service, did my research, then went to court with "the notebook" in hand. I identified myself by name, was representing myself, and gracefully added that I was an Engineer by profession.
The judge smiled and told me to proceed. I think the judge definitely wanted to hear what I had to say (slow day in court), but the DA jumped right up and and dismissed the charges. I suspect he preferred to do that rather than allow me to blow the accuracy of this particular outdated radar equipment right out of the water.
It was classic.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Well, somewhat disappointingly, the opening I mentioned earlier looks like it will be a lateral move rather than a step up. It p!sses me off to think that the sihtty team I am on will probably cost me a promotion this year. Will have to sit and think about whether I want to move on this or wait and suffer for a while.

In many ways, the new spot is a great fit for me. It requires specialized knowledge that is rare to nonexistent in the organization, but which I happen to posess from prior job experience. I think that it also may be a spot from which I could get groomed to run a small team, which is the way up in this organization. I am dying for a promotion, since it comes with another week of vacation as well as a bump in comp, but I guess when push comes to shove I would rather not be miserable. The downside to applying for the new spot is likely limited to hard feelings from my present chain of command and could also end up in a counteroffer. Hmmm. Have plenty to think about.

The new spot gets publicly posted Monday and the application deadline is probably a week and a half from then. Time enough to think about it and do some research, I guess.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Not being miserable is a good thing brewer....
Old 02-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Not being miserable is a good thing brewer....
For sure. But I get one chance to move internally and then I have to live with where I am for at least a couple years. So I have to choose carefully.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

A suggestion for your pending thought process...

Get that sheet of paper out and do the Pros and Cons exercise. Writing it down will help immensely...typing it up quickly on the computer will not be using all of your senses and thinking powers. Sometimes a good old No2 has magical powers for slowing down rapid thinking into nice deliberate and deep thinking.

Good luck!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, appreciate the thought freebird. I have a series of things to do before I decide on applying:

- talk to a seasoned person at work who knows the politics and mores of the place
- talk to the person who left the team and created the opening
- talk to someone at my level who just switched teams and may hae done a lateral move
- think through in detail the potential outcomes of applying and not applying

Writing it out will be part of the last step. Oh, and by the way, I still haveto keep up with the travel and multiple work assignments. I will not miss any of this when I am FIREd.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #188

Good luck with the lateral application.

I still think that you'd be better off moving on to some other place where you don't feel such hostility and resentment.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

OPM survey results of Fed ees on what is important for advancement:

-- A supportive supervisor to encourage my development and advancement (85 percent)
-- Senior person/mentor (other than my supervisor) looking out for my interests (85 percent)

There was the usual prior work experiance, chalanging assignments stuff but these two were far and away the leading factors.

Brewer: The most important conversation is #2 on your list.

As a change agent at my former agency resentment comes with the territory.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #190

Brewer, think about the lateral transfer carefully. I think you need to decide if you would be happy to stay within the organisation and function without any resentment or anger towards your current workmates. They are ugly emotions, and they only person you will hurt will be yourself, as you can guarantee those causing the current issues are probably oblivious to how and why you feel the way you do.

If you do apply for the position opening up and are able to snag it, would you seriously even consider a counteroffer from the bozos in your current section? Don't lose track of why you are looking to move.

Good luck with your decision. It is not an easy one, and one that I do not envy.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

I might consider a counteroffer because they could ultimately block my move. Minimum requirements to stay would be a promotion and a large reduction in my travel. I am guessing they will not offer that, so it is likely a moot point.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I might consider a counteroffer because they could ultimately block my move. Minimum requirements to stay would be a promotion and a large reduction in my travel. I am guessing they will not offer that, so it is likely a moot point.
Totally makes sense. Bit of a bummer that the bozos still may have a say in your future career for the immediate future at least. Good luck.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Well, they scheduled a half day team love fest for next month. Bleah. With any luck I will be on my way to a new role by that time.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #194

We used to have company picnics (employee appreciation day). I used to call them "mandatory fun days" just to get management worked up. Told them if they wanted to appreciate me, they could give me the day off.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Well, this one includes a 15 question "anonymous" survey, an exercise to make sure we can "leverage" other team members and "hold each other accountable," then a "contracting" exercise where we make our expectations of each other clear. Sounds about as fun as a high colonic on national TV.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #196

Any chance you could offer to take the colonic on tv rather than attend the shitfest?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Well, this one includes .... an exercise to make sure we can "leverage" other team members.
Oh wow. I think I see what's wrong with your workplace, Brewer...the perception, reinforced by jargon, of people as being just "things."

"Leverage" your co-workers, indeed. It makes it sound like you're expected to put a crowbar under their chairs and raise 'em up, using their desks as fulcrums. What ever happened to "recognizing and making the most of one another's skills"? I bet your managers also use "fungible" and "human capital" in the same sentence.

Reminds me of the landscaping companies who promise to "install" your trees, instead of the old-fashioned method of "planting" them.

Amethyst
Old 02-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
"Leverage" your co-workers, indeed. It makes it sound like you're expected to put a crowbar under their chairs and raise 'em up, using their desks as fulcrums.
Oh, please, please, please let me use a crowbar on my cow-orkers!

- Will Rogers
Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Any chance you could offer to take the colonic on tv rather than attend the shitfest?
I could probably get out of it scot free if I have an accident with a nailgun. Other than that, I am likely stuck. Perhaps I will offer deliberately absurd answers to any and all questions, especially on the "anonymous" survey. Beatrix Potter riddles and the like might be good, or perhaps Dr. Seuss lines. Gawd knows I have read enough of both in the last few years to quote them verbatim from memory.

The man in the forest said to me
"How many strawberries grow in the sea?"
I answered him as I thought good
"As many herrings swim in the wood"

- Will Rogers
Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

This is precious. Now I get an email from someone in a related department to mine asking if I will serve as an instructor in my area of specialty and that my participation has already been "approved" by two of my many bosses. Excuse me? First I have heard of it. No frigging way I am getting on a train/plane for a couple days right after I get back from a month-long business trip I had no say in. Since I cannot outright say no to this without consequences, I plan on simply ignoring it.

- Will Rogers