How to cope with bad work situation?

I have been there. There is no fix in most cases, except medicine. Life is to short to put up with b--sh--. My blood pressure stayed high when I was in your situation. I took prozac, it worked for me. After I was on it for three months I could care less about most anything:ROFLMAO: I never got upset about anything. Not sure if that was good or not but it worked for mr. All turned out good for me. oldtrig:)

Ctrl + Alt + arrow keys to turn their PC screen upside down

Holy cow! It works! You can turn it sideways too! :LOL:

(Sorry. I never knew you could do that! See how useful this forum is?)

Holy cow! It works! You can turn it sideways too! :LOL:

(Sorry. I never knew you could do that! See how useful this forum is?)

I found out by doing it by ACCIDENT. I had to get on the internet on that same computer and do a search to try to find out what I did, and how to undo it. :facepalm:

Reading upside down has never been one of my best skills! :2funny:

A business culture that accepts disrespectful behaviour actually encourages it. Senior management has already voted on what matters. This is not likely to change unless top management changes. Uber-importance will not always prevail where a strong management culture exists, the management instinct of self-preservation is a powerful force.

Documentation will not help deal with a de-motivating workplace. The only real option there is to find greener pastures – and not discuss with anyone at work for any reason.

If it wasn't for the bad boss would you want to remain in your current position? For me that would determine my course of action. If it is your dream job and you would like to stay there until you FIRE your actions need to be different from what they would be if you would be happy to move on. Whatever you do, keep records of his behaviour. Record notes in a diary, keep copies of inappropriate instructions, CYA at all times. Probably the thing that will get most notice is if you are unable to make deadlines due to this bozos actions. However, that could have a backlash with a bad review.

I also decided to up the ante. I left a copy of my resume on my desk, partially covered by a pad of paper.
Are we related? :cool:

2 years before I FIREd, I actually put in a request to get official time to take a civil service exam.
I was a GS-13 Engineer w*rking for a 3 letter agency and really desperate for a change.
So I politely informed my predator supervisor that federal regulation blah-de-blah granted me the right to request administrative time (not annual) and mileage allowance to travel to any other agency's civil service exam.

The other agency? The United States Post Office :LOL:

And she had no choice but to sign the request AND the mileage reimbursement paperw*rk to boot. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hope I made ya smile. :flowers:

PS The USPS supervisor's job never materialized, but they didn't know that.

I actually bought and used a annoy-a-tron years ago on an unbelievably annoying co-worker. She had an extremely loud, grating voice, and insisted on carrying on long phone conversations (both work and personal) via speaker phone, even after she had been asked not to by a number of people in the same cube farm. :mad: I was able to shut her down for a while by disconnecting the speaker wire one night, but she just got a new phone a week later. I bought the annoy-a-tron, and it drove her freaking INSANE! I hid it up in the overhead file cabinet, chose the alternating beeps, and sat back and laughed my @ss off! She never found it, even though it eventually ran out of battery power. She moved out of our area shortly after. Well worth the money. >:D

Brewer, if you are like me at all (and I really hope you're not, for your sake ;)), vengeful and vindictive, getting back at someone at a really childish level can be very rewarding. It helped me get through some rough times with my sense of humour (defective as it may be) intact. JMO. :greetings10:

Brewer--nothing to add but I went through a similar situation for awhile during my career---and believe me it sure seemed like it was a lot longer than it actually was. For what it is worth---it makes FIRE that much sweeter.

Oh, the annoyatron sounds perfect... Very, very, very tempting. I could install one in the boss' office and another in the cube of his chief rectal suction provider.

It's a great site. I also have the remote that allows you to take over TVs. Really useful. I mostly use it when I'm stuck in a doctor's office or garage trying to read and they have CNN or MSNBC or Fox News blaring. Mostly I just mute it. Sometimes I'll turn the channel to Nickelodeon or SciFi or something. And the battling RC tanks were great back in the office days. Thinkgeek challenges my LBYM tendencies. :D

A business culture that accepts disrespectful behaviour actually encourages it. Senior management has already voted on what matters. This is not likely to change unless top management changes. Uber-importance will not always prevail where a strong management culture exists, the management instinct of self-preservation is a powerful force.

Documentation will not help deal with a de-motivating workplace. The only real option there is to find greener pastures – and not discuss with anyone at work for any reason.

Brewer - MichaelB is right - leadership is tolerating this...and for some reason. It isn't affecting them or hurting them..yet. The advice of document, document, document is right on. The advice of start looking for another position is also right on. The annoy-a-tron is a wonderful tertiary task :)

I had a very stressful situation one time and I documented it very carefully. I happened to be an inheritor of a bad situation, unknowingly, unfortunately. However, the documentation was a godsend. Also, I was very careful about what I said and did - and counseled those involved to also be as professional as possible. As it was, there was a *heck* of a lot more going on and luckily I wasn't too tarnished by the shenanigans...and then luckily I found another position.

Good luck in your situation - yes, the stress is horrible. Just don't let the stress get to a point where any damage in undoable.

Hang in there Brewer. I was blessed in March '09 with the opportunity to leave a situation that was FUBAR. My sanity and liver were eternally thankful.

I make such a piss-poor wage slave.....

Oh, the annoyatron sounds perfect... Very, very, very tempting. I could install one in the boss' office and another in the cube of his chief rectal suction provider.
Remember to wear gloves while installing in case it is eventually located (fingerprints). :LOL:
WHY didn't I have one of these things while I was still w*rking ? Oh, using this thing on the main predator would have been right up my alley. :cool:

Now have been "invited" for a 1 on 1 with an HR drone, as have many of my cow-orkers. Yay. Well, they cannot make me talk andthere is no upside in me opening my mouth, so I will not be doing so.

Oh gawd, I remember at the gasping death of one workplace, they hired some consultants to come in and talk to everyone. Anyone who complained to "the Bobs" was mysteriously let go. Mum is DEF the word!
We had a saying: "Head down. HEAD DOWN! Head down." Embrace it. :)

Now have been "invited" for a 1 on 1 with an HR drone, as have many of my cow-orkers. Yay. Well, they cannot make me talk andthere is no upside in me opening my mouth, so I will not be doing so.
What is your plan?

I agree there is no upside in talking, but there is a downside in not "cooperating". While you don't want to dump on "the man", you can't praise him. Are you doing the "well, some things aren't perfect but I love working for mega-corp ........" thing or something else.

Good luck.

This happened to me too, in connection with my awful former supervisor (who was promoted out of my chain of command in 2006). Basically they asked me a lot of vague questions about whether I thought there were unfair, discriminatory things going on.

My very measured response (=baldfaced lie) was that although the situation was not all sweetness and light, that at the moment I couldn't recall anything untoward going on.

They may SEEM like they want to know the truth, but really (IMO) they just want to be able to say they investigated it with inconclusive results, so they can move on.

I really felt bad about it because the EEO complaint that they were investigating was probably justified. It all worked out, though.

My estimation is that this is at best a check the box exercise and at worst a witch hunt. Plan A is to smile, be polite and spew meaningless drivel. If they are too persistant, plan B is to say that I have no further comment on anything whatsoever. Plan C is to spontaneously puke on my interrogator's desk.

My turn is tomorrow morning. The more I think about it, the more this angers me. Will have to hide it tomorrow.

Brewer,
Keep Low, and Keep Moving.

Telling HR will have no meaningful benefit, as others have described it here. The only way to effect a meaningful change is to hire an attorney and sue the company. And, all that will result, is PERHAPS some sensitivity to the employee issue, if one is lucky.

And, of course, you don't want to do that while you're still employed there.

So, your plan to respond with meaningless drivel is best for self-preservation. Unless they want to ask you those questions while you sit in the witness box in a court room, there is no need to be truthful -- just be polite!

Don't get angry, continue your plan to seek employment in another part of the company, or another company altogether. Implementing that plan means you are doing something about the situation that fits you best.

After all, what you have is a business arrangement: they hire your brains for $ and the promise of professional development (most of which you do on your own anyway). If the promise and the premise for the arrangement isn't working out, you move on, and wish them luck in their current endeavors. It's up to someone else to exercise 'justice.'

-- Rita, retired.

Back
Top Bottom