I celebrated my 42nd birthday this month and hit a Milestone!

With those two in mind, have you actually seriously asked yourself this question:

That is, how much do you need before you retire? You're 42, screen name says you have another 13 years? Do you need to wait that long, or do you just not want to retire before that?

Just curious. :D

Arebelspy - I created the screen name before much thought (number crunching) and addiction to this forum. I've always thought I/we were/are doing well and age 55 would be a huge win, heck 60 was a dream too, once upon a time.

After further research within the forum, retirement calculators, etc, I feel pretty good, assuming no major job loss (DW is a SAHM) or rental property issue (liability/lawsuit), we will be FI in 6 to 8 years assuming a conservative return of 5-6% on investments along with our current contributions.

My wild cards - two young kids (think preschool age) and no retiree health benefits.

So, my current thinking is to hang up megacrap by age 50 then explore part time/flexible semi-retirement activities for health benefits or just be a bum/slum landlord. Not sure just yet... I'll decide in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom