I did it.

BizzyC

Dryer sheet aficionado
I told my boss that I will retire no later than by April of next year!

Yikes! I mean, yay!

The conversation started out with just trying to tell him not to grant me stock options this year. They vest over 4 years, so I didn't want them to waste them on me but to give them to someone who will get the value out of them (maybe, depends on how the stock price does!). So then that kind of set the stage for him asking the timeframe I was thinking about.

Yeah, I know it's generally not advisable to announce that far in advance but I've worked with my manager, my manager's manager, and my manager's manager's manager for 20+ yrs across 4 different companies, so I'm 100% confident I'll be treated fairly. We've had some number of people retiring or quitting, and we are ridiculously slow to hire, so they really needed the advance notice.

I'm 47 now, will be 48 when I retire next April. Hubby should be joining me in retirement shortly after April next year, hopefully after having sold his company. After that, probably a big RV trip (~3 months or so?), and then we move to Maui to start the next phase of our lives.

Woo-hoo!

:dance:

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you know the organization and people well and are trying to do the right thing and trust that they will do right by you.

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you know the organization and people well and are trying to do the right thing and trust that they will do right by you.

Yes. It's a nice position to be in. Of the 3 levels of management above me, each one has at one point in time reported directly in to me, and at some point in time I reported directly into each one of them, so very strong relationships with each one.

Congrats. I wish I could have given that much notice, though my situation was probably more amicable than many others. Sounds like some fun travels ahead!

Sounds like you are doing the right things and thus will be able to sleep well at night.

Back
Top Bottom