I got laid off today (kind of)

The Chinese have a saying "ride a horse to look for a horse" - I believe the saying is "ride a cow to look for a horse"

Nope 骑马找马

Ride a horse to look for a horse - two meanings: 1/look for a job while in a position or 2/look for something that's under one's nose

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

+1 on all the comments about looking for a job now vs. 5 months severance.

Also, +10 on continuing to do a good job. No need to be a super hero but remember every day that you are managing your brand. Many years ago I went through a corporate transition where a number of people wound up in the "stay until we tell you you're done and you'll get a big severance check" situation. It was a big check (1 yr with benefits) so sticking around wasn't a bad idea, but some of them got very jaded after a few months -- a few to the point of being malcontents -- which was unfortunate because they were really excellent people. Its unfair, but their attitudes during that transition have haunted them for 10 years among certain people who have moved on to bigger things in the industry.

Always manage your brand.

Good luck.

^^^^ good advice... in the old days we referred to it as reputation rather than brand... but same idea.

One thing I did my whole career that I think contributed to my success was that I continually "thought like an owner"... in my mind, even though I was only an employee, it was "my" business so decisions we made through a prism of what was best for business because I believed that those decisions would be best for me in the long run.

Thanks for your comments Texas Proud.

I would be getting almost five months severance with no healthcare. I am 30 y/o and an accounting professional. I am concerned about continuing in a company where I no longer have a future vs. cutting my losses and looking for a position that sets my career in the direction I want to take it.

Spend every minute looking for a new gig... Severance is nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Back
Top Bottom