Identity Crisis

vvsonikvv said:
know at some companies, they put you through a training program, where they set you in different roles so you 'try' them out and then pick (or they pick) where is best for you. (atleast the college hire recruiters tell me). Companies like Booz Allen, Bain, McKinsey, all train you to be good at something. Train you in consulting, doing it their way. But here, I do 'stuff' and i get better at 'stuff', but no one really is looking for an expert 'stuff' doer.

If it makes you feel any better, I assure you that there are plenty of frustrating moments (and hours, and days) for recent college grads who find themselves on the pure strategic side of the business as well. While it's true that there is some training at the firms you mention, nearly everything valuable that can be taken away from the job is acquired through trial-by-fire, and it sounds like you may now be evolving into more of that type of scenario.

CCdaCE said:
Sounds like you have it figured out. Flexibility is nice as far as hours. When I graduated, I considered myself very detail oriented (Good at programming, for instance). Now, a few years later, I usually pick the right path in the big picture, but screw up some minor detail of it. ... So, things change, even if you don't expect them to.

Good luck.

Well, i havent figured it out. I just went this way as a trial.

I know at Booz. you work 40hrs per week. Work over that, and your good for those hours so if you work 160 hrs in 2 weeks. You get 2 weeks off! I work 160 hrs in 2 weeks... I can expect 160 hrs the next two weeks too!.

UVaOK, thats UVA ? I'm in DC and tons of other co workers, friends, acquantances are from there. Good people. Well, I think maybe Strategy is cool. I'm not sure.

My theory is that there are many positions. And everyone is good at some, and like others. Some positions some dont like, others do. I just know that what I am doing now is not what I like. It's just that I'm not sure if this will lead to a good position. (that position I haven't figured out yet.).

vvsonikvv said:
I know at Booz. you work 40hrs per week. Work over that, and your good for those hours so if you work 160 hrs in 2 weeks. You get 2 weeks off! I work 160 hrs in 2 weeks... I can expect 160 hrs the next two weeks too!.

UVaOK, thats UVA ? I'm in DC and tons of other co workers, friends, acquantances are from there. Good people. Well, I think maybe Strategy is cool. I'm not sure.

That is indeed UVA--I have lots of friends in DC as well. I graduated last year and am now trying to adjust to the real world while working for Mck/B/B in the Midwest.

Is that true about Booz? I had never before heard that, but it sounds like a great policy (albeit extremely rare for a major firm in this line of work). Now if only I could get my office to adopt a similar policy so that I could have the next 12 weeks off...

Back
Top Bottom