Join Early Retirement Today

There are four lights!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are four lights!

Reminds me of a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode...called "Chain of Command."

From wikipedia:
.... Much of the episode revolves around the differences between Jellico's and Picard's command styles. Picard, while reserved, trusts those around him and relies on the professionalism of his subordinates. Jellico is much more authoritarian, demanding strict obedience and exact execution of his orders. This sudden change in command style creates friction between Jellico and the senior staff, notably Commander Riker..."

You've have to have watched this episode to understand, but my brother and I have this inside joke that when walking away from a crappy situation, I said "There are four lights!"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

The "Nelson touch" was in part the abilty to give clear "general" orders. Most famously:

"Captains are to look to their particular Line as their rallying point. But, in case Signals can neither be seen or perfectly understood, no Captain can do very wrong if he places his Ship alongside that of an Enemy. "

Old 10-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Lisa, boy do I know how you feel. It does help to know you have an exit strategy and a plan for your life outside these walls.

Although it may be silly, I have two videos I watch whenever I think I might suffocate if I have to spend another minute trapped at my desk.

One is the Where the Hell is Matt video (I've linked to it a million times on here, I think) and the other Michael Franti's Sounds of Sunshine. Both just rock my world when it starts to suck.

At the risk of duplication:
Where the Hell is Matt? (2008) on Vimeo
Thanks for taking the risk Sarah-I enjoyed watching both videos!

I hope that the job gets better for you. Sounds like your retirement planning is going nicely.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #24

You might occupy your time by planning your retirement in privacy.
I planned for years. I so enjoyed the shock on the faces of my idiot supervisors when I finally turned in my notice. Everyone from top to bottom could not believe I was able to retire. I kept it a complete secret until the very last moment possible. Had planned it for many many years. A lot more than you are looking at. I didn't even tell my closest friends at work for fear they might leak it.
Couldn't get the smile off my face for days.
Steve
PS. I did it so quickly I purposely didn't even have time to train anyone to replace me.
Oh the joy of leaving them high and dry.
PSS. Just for clarification, it wasn't so much the idiots over me/us but the idiots (above) choosing the idiots I had a hard time understanding. It seemed they wanted only yes people that did not think for themselves. All I can say is, if you worked there for enough years you all would agree with my analysis. For the most part I promise. I probably should have pointed out I worked for a political municipality controled crap hole. That would have been enough said for you all to comprehend the complete story.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I even took positive action and changed jobs but discovered that I've traded a nut job boss for a control freak boss.

I think it's exactly the reason why I'm not looking for a new job. I mean my boss(es) are great, but I'd love a new or more challenge in my work and more $$, of course. But I'm afraid to gamble...who knows what kind of boss I might get ...... Satisfaction of a job is greatly influenced by people who manage us, IMO...

Maybe you need to become a manager.....
Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #26

I've been a manager and didn't care for it. The track I was on was in sales management and I was working regular 80 hour weeks including most weekends. After five years it almost killed me and my marriage.

I much prefer being an individual performer since I only have one boss rather than the many that I had as a manager. (dotted line reporting extraordinaire)
Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I've been a manager and didn't care for it. The track I was on was in sales management and I was working regular 80 hour weeks including most weekends. After five years it almost killed me and my marriage.

I much prefer being an individual performer since I only have one boss rather than the many that I had as a manager. (dotted line reporting extraordinaire)
In many cases the extra money to be a manager just isn't worth it. As an individual contributor you may not have the power to make big decisions, but you certainly have the power to make the small ones. In business, it is often the small decisions that make the difference.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Plans are to hang on until 55 because my employer subsidizes retiree healthcare and because we save my entire salary.

Excellent plan. Clearly, you do not underestimate the importance of employer-subsidized healthcare. That is huge.

Without the employer's group plan (which generally has no pre-existing condition limitations), you're subject to the whims of the individual health policy underwriting guidelines.

I'm waiting to see "hangnail" listed as a pre-existing condition / automatic denial.

Hope you had a fabulous bike ride. I'm about to go do that myself!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #29

Someone sent me this today, which sums it all up nicely:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp career.bmp (162.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 11-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #30

I am sorry Lisa....I went through idiots like that at megacorp as well. You could just leave and learn a whole new field like I did I work about 15 hours a week now and can live, save, and enjoy life off the money.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
The "Nelson touch" was in part the abilty to give clear "general" orders. Most famously:

"Captains are to look to their particular Line as their rallying point. But, in case signals can neither be seen or perfectly understood, no Captain can do very wrong if he places his Ship alongside that of an Enemy."
The immortal memory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Excellent plan. Clearly, you do not underestimate the importance of employer-subsidized healthcare. That is huge.
Well, perhaps. Personally I don't see it as a big deal.

While it is nice to have one's dental expenses and prescription lenses covered, those costs are not much in the grand scheme of things. I certainly don't see my benefits plan as an important incentive to delay my departure from the workforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
I kept it a complete secret until the very last moment possible. Had planned it for many many years. A lot more than you are looking at. I didn't even tell my closest friends at work for fear they might leak it.
Very prudent. Good for you!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not every day is bad and in fact most days are bearable. I was having a very bad day and was able to blow off steam by venting to a group that I knew would understand where I was coming from.
We've all had bad bosses and it's unbearable - but I'm glad I stuck it out (vs quitting). Longest "episode" was 3 years, and the boss eventually got fired. It can take longer than you'd like, but more often than not organizations have a way of catching up with the jerks in time.

If venting works for you, by all means. It never worked for me because it means I have to relive a bad experience. I try very hard to live in the present, spending as little time in the past (learn from mistakes and move on, the past will never change) and future (make plans, but living in the future condemns the present) as absolutely necessary. And I know my supporters are going to take my side no matter what - so it's sort of pointless.

If it helps - at those bad moments, I tell myself, 'will this matter when I'm 65 and sitting on my front porch enjoying a new day?' The answer is always very clearly 'no.' And more often than not, it's not important much sooner. The whole thought process takes me a minute or two and I'm over it. I've shared this with many of my co-workers and once they internalize the idea, most of them find it very helpful. FWIW.

In the meantime, eyes on the prize...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote