Layoffs at IBM

Some long faces locally. Many IBM'ers are being furloughed over the fourth of July week. If you have vacation time, and take it, you get paid. If not... no pay

BUM

Excuse my ignorance, but what does it mean to be furloughed at IBM? Do you mean to say that regular employees must take time off without pay due to lack of work, etc.? Or is this "just" for contractors? I'd think contractors wouldn't get paid time off for holidays anyway...

I'm confused, but this surely doesn't look good no matter what.

On the other hand, if the choice is lose your holiday pay or lose your job...

Thanks for any additional info,
Caroline

woo hoo, my first post... well, here anyway.

Caroline said:
Excuse my ignorance, but what does it mean to be furloughed at IBM? Do you mean to say that regular employees must take time off without pay due to lack of work, etc.? Or is this "just" for contractors? I'd think contractors wouldn't get paid time off for holidays anyway...

As far as I know, it generally affects people involved in manufacturing type work. There is still some left. This is an old description of it from "Alliance@IBM". I'm not a big fan of them either.

http://www.allianceibm.org/articles/furlough.htm

I worked for CSC, (stands for collection of sh*tty companies) and they put us on furlough. Basically, the accounting laws were counting the vacation on the books as a liability to the company, so to look better they forced us to take two weeks vacation. If you didn't have two weeks, they let you "borrow" time and pay them back. :mad:

I just found this forum today, I am an IBMer in Global Services I know 3 in the MHV and 2 else that were affected by the lay offs that were anounced in early May, one was only here for a few years and wasn't too bright, 3 were close to retirement, not sure what they are going to now. Anyway there were more today, don't know any details yet other then my department wasn't affect.

Bob

mickj said:
I wish I could get laid off from IBM now.
Are they offering a generous severance package. I know Boston Scientific gives 1.5 months of pay per year of service, 2 years of bonus plus medical benefits.

mickj said:
I wish I could get laid off from IBM now.

I wouldn't worry; I'm sure they'll be another layoff coming soon. IBM in Austin just had a substantial layoff back in September. This was in the processor design group, once thought to be an untouchable area.

But my question is, why not just leave? Is it the severance package?

Don't really want to leave to do the same thing somewhere else, I would rather have the severance and be forced to find something completely different.

mickj said:
Don't really want to leave to do the same thing somewhere else, I would rather have the severance and be forced to find something completely different.

My sentiment exactly...

Left in 1992 with a golden handshake. Went into consulting then CEO of a couple of tech companies. Finally retired in 2002. Learned more in the last 10 years than in the previous 10.

Don't hurry. Your time will come.

mickj said:

Are you really sure you want to wait around for that? What if it never happens?

BTW, do you have an idea of what you'd like to go into?

I don't really think that it will (layoffs) happen. I don't really want to wait around even if it would. More just a fantasy.

I wish that I had a passion for some type of work, but I don't that I know of.

If I were to leave, I think I would have to go back to school. That doesn't really appeal to me unless I can find something there that I really want to study.

Also I have a family, so I don't really want to make them suffer if we had to downgrade our lifestyle or move etc. so that I could go back to school.

Anyone have any ideas of a good career with a low barrier of entry :) :confused:

mickj said:
I wish that I had a passion for some type of work, but I don't that I know of.

I know what you're saying. I went through something similar a few years ago. I left Megacorp voluntarily and took some time off, did some traveling with my girlfriend (now my wife), and during that time I racked my brains trying to figure out what my "calling" was. After much soul-searching (including dilligently going through "What Color is Your Parachute?"), I discovered that there really wasn't anything that I wanted to do that would qualify as work. The bottom line is, if I didn't have to work, I wouldn't. That doesn't mean that I would sit on the couch all day and watch TV, but I wouldn't do anything that resembles what I'm doing now. I'd do some traveling, some rock climbing, some surfing, maybe write a little, and after I got tired of that, I'd probably do some volunteer work. But nothing that's nearly as stressful as what I'm doing now.

However, as strange as this may sound, simply coming to that realization made me appreciate my job that much more (I'm a computer engineer). I get paid very well, I get to work on interesting problems, I'm pretty much always learning, I work with (mostly) intelligent professionals, and I don't have to punch a clock. The people around me trust me to get my job done. Sure, the hours can be hell sometimes, but since I've taken that break, I've gotten much better about respecting my limits. Even though I'm full time, I treat the job as a contracting gig, b/c you never know when layoffs are coming in this field.

I know some people who live to work, and I respect the fact that they've always known what they've wanted to do and enjoying doing it. But I've realized I'm a "work to live" person.

mickj said:
Anyone have any ideas of a good career with a low barrier of entry :) :confused:
Yeah, that's a tough one. It sounds like you're open to a wide range of possibilities. As corny as it may be, "What Color Is Your Parachute?" may actually help you narrow down your interests into things that really appeal to you. Like I said, it didn't lead me to any particular profession, but it really made clear what my strengths and weaknesses are. And I realized that my current field is one of the best in which I can utilize my strengths.

mickj said:
The military has raised many of its max recruiting ages to 42! The idea is to be able to complete a 20-year career (and be eligible for a military retirement) before you can start collecting Social Security. The new CENTCOM, ADM Fallon, has already turned 62 but the Senate gave him an age waiver during his interview.

CompoundInterestFan said:
I discovered that there really wasn't anything that I wanted to do that would qualify as work. The bottom line is, if I didn't have to work, I wouldn't. That doesn't mean that I would sit on the couch all day and watch TV, but I wouldn't do anything that resembles what I'm doing now. I'd do some traveling, some rock climbing, some surfing, maybe write a little, and after I got tired of that, I'd probably do some volunteer work. But nothing that's nearly as stressful as what I'm doing now.
That's how I ended up deciding to ER. I thought that I'd cast around for a few years and decide to start another career but... five years later... I'm pretty sure that ER is my avocation.

I got real tired of the diagnostic tests & career surveys that'd suck down an hour or two of my life only to conclude that I'd make an excellent nuclear engineer, teacher, or department head.

Nords said:
... five years later... I'm pretty sure that ER is my avocation.

I think I've come to that conclusion as well. The time I had off was much more enjoyable than any job I've ever had. :)

Unfortunately, I also discovered that retirement doesn't pay much, so I have a long way to go before I'll be able to make that job transition.

mickj said:
Massage therapist?
one year of school ($6k IIRC),
independent gals/guys charge $55-$90 per hour here (metro Atlanta)

One of my retiring mates became an organist and choir master at his church. Although the pay is not good, he is very satisifed with his change of pace after 15 years...a good pension and golden handshake made it possible financially.

Back
Top Bottom