Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

...and, according to at least one forum member, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees those who put beans in their chili.

Or make BBQ ribs in their crockpot.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

Or make BBQ ribs in their crockpot.
The notion those are "BBQ ribs" is truly a crock.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Of course, Wikipedia (I know, I know) says

Quote:
Beans (frijoles), a staple of Tex-Mex cooking, have long been associated with chili. The question of whether beans "belong" in chili has been a matter of contention among chili cooks for an equally long time. It is likely that in many poorer areas of San Antonio and other places associated with the origins of chili, beans were used rather than meat, or in addition to meat.
But I don't eat red meat and I don't have any desire to move to or visit Texas so we're both safe for now.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Chili con frijoles is nothing more than bean stew. Real chili has no beans.
There's "chili" and there's "chili con carne". Both names are Texan in origin (hence the bad spelling) and imply only one has meat. The ingredients in chili are so common that the dish most likely dates back a thousand years. Meat would have been an option for wealthy people back then and also in the early 1900's when chili became popular in the US Southwest.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
There's "chili" and there's "chili con carne".
Yep, there is chili and then there is chili bean soup...
Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #66

I'm really hungry. This is one time it's too bad Amarillo is far, far away. I'd like a big juicy steak with all the trimmings right now.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Keep in mind that the actual city of Dallas is pretty liberal while the suburbs and Fort Worth make it more a more conservative metro area overall. In my experience in Dallas, most people are pretty open minded and friendly.

Good luck on your move.
Just don't cut anyone off or if they do it to you flip them bird on the highways, otherwise you could get shot!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Just don't cut anyone off or if they do it to you flip them bird on the highways, otherwise you could get shot!

That goes double for Houston!
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Dallas doesn't have any world-class attractions. But it does have world-class traffic jams. So fly into DFW and experience it yourself! You won't have to go far... You can just take the North airport exit into the Hwy. 114 idling parking lot, or take the South exit and experience the 183 Airport Freeway idling parking lot. Be sure your rental car has a full tank before you leave the rental lot.

If you take the North exit, get out of the car and have someone take your picture next to the toll booth where the woman flew her car up and over the toll booth. It's on youtube somewhere. I think she got tired of waiting in line.

Dallas fire dept. sends two trucks to every freeway accident, no matter how minor. One to service the accident, the other parked a bit upstream to intercept the rear-enders to avoid losing firemen, EMT's and police. The sacrificial fire truck. I kid you not.
You mean the fire dept. doesnt do that everywhere?

As far as the traffic, every decent sized city Ive visited the people complain about how they have the worst traffic in the world. In my opinion its pretty much the same everywhere. BAD!
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
That goes double for Houston!
You mean they don't do that everywhere?

Hmph, how boring that must be.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Texas is a huge state. I lived in College Station, Texas for 12-13 years and liked both Texas and Texans a lot when I lived there. I doubt I would ever want to move back, though. Good luck and I hope you find the opportunities you seek.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Keep in mind that the actual city of Dallas is pretty liberal while the suburbs and Fort Worth make it more a more conservative metro area overall.
My brother and his wife lived on the SW end of Grapevine Lake, in a moderately upscale suburban development. Their neighbors on one side were a young gay male couple, and on the other a single middle aged lesbian. As best I could tell they were fully integrated into the community. After all, most suburbanites are more interested in property values than they are in sexuality, and gays are always very good for property values. Talk about nice landscaping!

Overall, big Texas cities are very sophisticated and tolerant places, probably more so than many other cities.

Ha
Old 05-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #73

Hey I moved away from LI (Levittown)......................55 years ago.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Hey I moved away from LI (Levittown)......................55 years ago.
55 years ago? Damn! Do you ever look back and wonder what life would be like had you never left?
MBAVisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #75

I guess I probably shouldn't admit that we live in Lubbock. For the most part we like it. (hiding face)
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #76

In the early 90s in Southern California I worked with a woman who got her Ph.D. in Austin in the late '80s. She returned to So Cal and lived in Venice Beach despite the long commute it gave her. She couldn't imagine living anywhere else then Venice - except Austin. Made me want to go there.

I asked her about an Austin story I heard 10 years earlier. Story says the Klan planned a march up a boulevard to the state house. Various counter demonstrations were planned. On march day a line of National Guard down the middle of the boulevard kept the two apart. 3000 people showed up to moon the Klan. She said she'd never heard the story but knowing the people in Austin, it's totally believable.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
In the early 90s in Southern California I worked with a woman who got her Ph.D. in Austin in the late '80s. She returned to So Cal and lived in Venice Beach despite the long commute it gave her. She couldn't imagine living anywhere else then Venice - except Austin. Made me want to go there.

I asked her about an Austin story I heard 10 years earlier. Story says the Klan planned a march up a boulevard to the state house. Various counter demonstrations were planned. On march day a line of National Guard down the middle of the boulevard kept the two apart. 3000 people showed up to moon the Klan. She said she'd never heard the story but knowing the people in Austin, it's totally believable.
That sort of happened, but it was in the early 90's rather than the 80's when Texas made MLK day an official state holiday. The Klan wanted to march and Molly Ivins and Steve Fromholz put together a couple of hundred people who mooned the Kluckers. Molly was such a liberal that about the only place she could work in Texas was Austin, and she and Fromholze used to run around doing similar crazy stunts in support of their political beliefs and probably because they were drunk when they thought them up. It's the stuff that puts the weird in Austin.

The only Klan march in Austin in the 80's was 1983 and featured a spinoff commie revolutionary group that tried to spark off the great race war by throwing rocks, bottles, and whatever at the Kluckers. Mooning would have been so much more peaceful, but the commies always go for violence.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
The Klan wanted to march and Molly Ivins.....
We will never again have anyone as colorful, witty, and amazing as Molly. She was the consummate story teller. I remember, in one of her first books, when it was a slow news day in DC and Jody Powell said there was nothing to the stories about Bert Lance.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #79
gone traveling

From a college perspective, UT is a great school, but the Aggie faithful refer to those Austin students as tea sippers.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot to mention when you are in Texas and see a rainbow bumper sticker, it doesn't mean they are gay. Lots of Christians have rainbow bumper stickers. (or they used to)

When I first moved up to NY and saw lots of rainbow flags and bumper stickers, I thought there were lots of Christians in NYC. Then thought it was odd there was a Christian bar. I went in to see and dawn on me that it was a lesbian bar. I only went in because there were full of girls.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote