leverage techniques

Even the old timers are starting to get fed up.Mondays at eviction court used to be maybe a dozen evictions a week,now it's up to 50 to 60 every week.
There are good deals that can be made.After the market crash of '01 many decided that they wanted to be landlords.They would bid up houses to the point of negative cash flow.Now they are loosing big time.
As for payoffs,I deal with a local bank that never sells paper.In doing that I don't have to worry about fannie may guidelines and the amount of mortgages that I can have.I also bundled a number of homes under a jumbo loan.I only have notes remaining on 14 of 53 units left.The amount left is quite small,if the market turns good again I may just pay off those early as well.
leverage is ok for younger folks just starting in the business and accumilating more units.At my age I would rather sell than buy.

The management companies around here want over 10%.I tried one a number of years ago and that cost me tenants.Repair service was terrible,they also imposed rediculous late fees that they kept and the screening they did was unacceptable.This was one of the better agencies around.
We do all of our own work,just two of us,my wife and I.Only thing I hire out for is roofs,or in this case a fire rehab.
Had to learn how to do most of it as in my younger days I never worked on houses.Fortunately all of my units are 1978 and up so there are no lead issues,no basements and all but one are individual baseboard heat.That makes it very easy.

Still waiting to hear again from the ins.company for more info.They want to base everything on not what I originally bought the home for plus appreciation.as I mentioned earlier,I literally stole this house.When I bought it the same homes in the area were going for 60k.I got two 2 bdrm ranches and a 3bdrm side by side for a total of 51k with the seller paying all closing costs and giving me 3.5k in cash to boot.He was still in them at 13% and was being ripped off by the management company handling the homes.Best deal I ever made :))). I want to just demolish the property and donate the land to the city for a tax write-off,the ins.company wants to rebuild.

Lorain is going the way of Youngstown,rents are dropping like a rock.Even sect8 has lowered what they pay.But sect8 tenants are ever harder to come by as they are all moving to Avon,Oh into new state and fed government subsidized townhouses that are all decked out.
Just goes to show that the government rewards deadbeats and punishes tax producers.

raysk said:
Still waiting to hear again from the ins.company for more info.They want to base everything on not what I originally bought the home for plus appreciation.as I mentioned earlier,I literally stole this house.When I bought it the same homes in the area were going for 60k.I got two 2 bdrm ranches and a 3bdrm side by side for a total of 51k with the seller paying all closing costs and giving me 3.5k in cash to boot.He was still in them at 13% and was being ripped off by the management company handling the homes.Best deal I ever made :))). I want to just demolish the property and donate the land to the city for a tax write-off,the ins.company wants to rebuild.
I've always heard that the first thing you want to do after a fire is to hire your own claims adjustor to help you negotiate with your own insurance company. A professional advocate can keep you from being steamrolled. Frequently they'll give you a generous offer just to avoid having their resources tied up in estimates & negotiations.

Of course this tactic may make it difficult for you to continue any other policy business you have with them.

Surprisingly the insurance company does use independent adjusters in the field.
When he checked out the property he talked a total loss before even stepping inside of the less damaged side.
Both he and my contractor agree that it is not worth trying to restore as both the trusses and roof have extensive damage.
This insurance company was very fair to me last year on two tenant caused kitchen fires.
They are just not happy about me wanting to have the building torn down and not replaced.
I should here more from them sometime this week.My contractor still has to get all the numbers figured out.

Nords said:
I've always heard that the first thing you want to do after a fire is to hire your own claims adjustor
Thanks Nord thats the people I was talking about. I wasnt happy after all was said and done. I think that in hindsight I should of hired these guys. No matter who the insurance company has they are biased in some regards.

If your right about the area being that bad. You might be better off dumping what you have and 1031 into something .
Rushing to pay off the houses doesnt really do much for your cash flow until they are paid off. So again the best way to run the numbers is to pay any extra funds to one house and then move on to the next when paid off.

Back
Top Bottom