Life Plan II (Redux)

Singleee

Dryer sheet wannabe
Introduction in "Hi I am" under "Single (Again) Expatriate Restarting the Retirement Plan "

So, the ex (>:D) received the larger chunk of the family assets in the settlement, around US$1.6 mill :mad:, leaving me with a little over US$760k (properties, stock and cash).

Aside from one mortgage (covered and then some by rental income) no loans or credit card debt (cleared it all 2 days ago). I earn pretty well and live comfortably about 50% of net income without much effort whilst still maintaining a pretty nice lifestyle.

Mid term financial planning needs to address child education: US$100k already set aside in a dedicated fund and ring fenced for future use. The regular payments are included in my 50% spending but I need to look at possibly increasing the contribution.

Health care / medical coverage is provided by employer and as a fall back both home and adopted countries have good free health care systems.

Looking at possibly taking some critical illness insurance now that I am single again. I don't have any other insurance.

Once the europhia has worn off, I do need to sit down and put the assets and surplus income to optimum use now that I have stopped paying the lawyers!

Singleee

Introduction in "Hi I am" under "Single (Again) Expatriate Restarting the Retirement Plan "

So, the ex (>:D) received the larger chunk of the family assets in the settlement, around US$1.6 mill :mad:, leaving me with a little over US$760k (properties, stock and cash).

Yikes, you didn't do too well. What courts were in charge of this massacre? Do you also pay child support and/or alimony? Is your child anywhere that you will be able to see him/her often, or is this pretty much a hit and run?

Do you work in the Near East?

I saw this post and figured there would be lots of responses. I imagine some of the marrieds on here are trying to deal with the tachycardia that you caused. Maybe when that settles back down there will be more activity.

Best of luck to you, and be sure to wear your life jacket when you re-enter the dating pool. :)

Ha

With 7 years to go, you might want some insurance to cover any lost net income from disability. How much do you plan to save in order to FIRE at 45?

(I gather that the uneven asset split was based on assets brought into the marriage?)

BTW I have had some experience living in KL and Manilla if that helps.

The division appears lopsided but was at least in small part allied to assets brought into the marriage, earnings during etc.

Bottom line is that the financial settlement was always less important to me than the child custody, which is shared 50/50. To some extent I "bought" the joint custody and time. I can always earn money but time (especially with a child) I could never get back. So to me it was an ok deal.

I don't pay alimony and never will and we share the child costs equally, so it works out ok.

Next time I think about getting married I will just go out, find a woman I don't like and give her a house :D

Next time I think about getting married I will just go out, find a woman I don't like and give her a house :D

Hey why not, cut out the middlemen!

Can't remember who told the story about how he avoided sexual temptations when traveling on the road. First he would carry a photo of his dear wife, and when his blood was getting hot he would pull it out of his billfold and look at her to give him strength. Later this didn't work so well, so he photographed all his stuff on the lawn in front of his house. Then he cut the photo in half, and stuck that in his billfold. This worked pretty well.

Ha

When I was young, guys used to say "why buy a cow when milk is free?" Not likely PC today.
Yeah, I've heard that all my life as well. So strange how women are referred to as cows.

Perhaps as I graze and slowly make my way to the barn, I will discover an analogy for men....

Oh btw, welcome to the forum Singleee.

Perhaps as I graze and slowly make my way to the barn, I will discover an analogy for men....

bbbamI,

...haven't you heard..."Why buy the whole pig since all you get is just a little sausage?"

omni

When I was young, guys used to say "why buy a cow when milk is free?" Not likely PC today.

Yeah. Now we say "why buy the cow when you can milk it through the fence?" The younger generation is more flexible.

Many years ago I was taught that girls should be good girls...the old "cow" metaphor.

I thought it was a load of crap then and still do. I can't speak for other women, but for yours truly when there is a need, it should be and will be fulfilled.

I thought it was a load of crap then and still do. I can't speak for other women, but for yours truly when there is a need, it should be and will be fulfilled.[/QUOTE]

Hand raised and waving around wildly!

Yeah, I've heard that all my life as well. So strange how women are referred to as cows.

Oh btw, welcome to the forum Singleee.

"Why take all the bull, when all you want is the horn?"

Back
Top Bottom