Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Parking on Rice campus in the football stadium lot is trivial. Some folks chain a bike up out there so they can ride the bike to class from the lot. If you PM me the apartment address, I can make some other comments as I lived in the area for years and have visited friends as recently as last week.

Public transportation in Houston is an oxymoron.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My recent e-book, "Dad's Guide to What Teenage Guys Are Thinking", appears to have done its work.
Maybe get her a copy of "Dave Barry's Guide to Guys" from a used bookstore, too.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Our daughter did exactly what your DD is doing, Nords (and bonus, got a single at Rice her senior year!). It was a piece of cake. Your DD will be able to take care of it just as ours did. We didn't have to cosign anything, and all three girls were named on the lease and utilities (same was true for the many apartments DS shared), and there were never any need for written agreements among them.

She definitely needed her own car to get to school. Never had a Texas DL or separate insurance in Texas--ours covered her in Houston. Having her own car for school and work was immeasurably helpful on the stress relief scale.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But I think it's a lot easier to take a ride with a friend or even (heaven forbid) a cab.
Sounds good. Even pay a generous monthly rate to the friend. Everybody's happy. Dispatched cabs are OK. Don't worry about the cost. It really simplifies things and overall, it isn't that expensive.

Quote:
Her apartment complex had some break-ins last year so all the doors have been refitted with beefed-up frames and deadbolts.
Please advise her to be inside that door when it is dark. The perps are out there and they work in the dark. Consult with Leonides and others from law enforcement on this board. I'm just a paranoid engineer/parent.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
.. our daughter's getting tired of the few miscreants who disrupt the entire dorm with their sophomoric party behavior after midnight.
Hey, three of those guys ended up being my off-campus roommates after I got bumped out of the dorm!

I agree with W2R, though, it's all going to work out fine. With my DD, I'm now three years past where you are. I'd worry more about a son...

I'll PM with some Houston specifics. Short version:

• Rent the housing
  • Go for the car, even with the start-up hassles and carrying costs. Texas plates.
  • Houston is a big city, but danger isn't lurking on every corner
  • Surprise her with an IKEA and Target gift certificate. She'll have the place furnished and ready to go in 24 hours. (A son, on the other hand, would come home with three cases of "cheap and delicious" Swedish meatballs - then throw a party when he remembers that he only has a 1-case freezer.)
Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Please advise her to be inside that door when it is dark. The perps are out there and they work in the dark. Consult with Leonides and others from law enforcement on this board. I'm just a paranoid engineer/parent.
I live right next to a university, as well as having attended several, all in urban dense locales, and I cannot think of any woman student who ever wanted to be inside her apartment at dark. The street right outside my place today is thronged with young females until fairly late on weekdays, and long after I am asleep on Friday and Saturday nights. All those bars and clubs are not kept open solely by men. Also, many campus events take place at night-basketball games, lectures, music, and dances to name a few.

Ha
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
Just before you get her a car have her take Defensive Driving so she can have the discount at the start of the policy. I can't remember if Texas offers a Good Student discount.
I'm sure you already know this - be very, very careful about getting a car anywhere around Houston. There are a tremendous number of "flood cars" on the market and you need a good mechanic to figure out what you're getting.
When does she graduate?
Defensive driving course-- good point. We don't have that in Hawaii but I bet she can find it in Houston.

I'm not sure that she qualifies for a good student discount! Eh, but she'll probably be back in the zone after summer school.

I've explained CarFax, salvage titles, and having a mechanic go over the car.

She graduates and gets commissioned in May 2014. She's finishing sophomore year next month. Hard to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Nords, regarding the car, make sure she can get reasonable parking on campus.
In other words a car may not necessarily get her particularly close to her classes if she has to park a half mile away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Parking on Rice campus in the football stadium lot is trivial. Some folks chain a bike up out there so they can ride the bike to class from the lot. If you PM me the apartment address, I can make some other comments as I lived in the area for years and have visited friends as recently as last week.
Parking's pretty good, and she has space near the NROTC/Rice Police building.

LOL, HTown Harry, check your PMs-- thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Maybe get her a copy of "Dave Barry's Guide to Guys" from a used bookstore, too.
She thinks of Dave Barry as some geezer writer that her father's always laughing about. You know, like in those history books of the 1980s & 1990s.

Among her dorm, NROTC, and the other civil engineers: she has not been very impressed with the male gender of the species. Not that I've learned this directly, but spouse has shared redacted FOUO FOIA documentation as deemed appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Hey, three of those guys ended up being my off-campus roommates after I got bumped out of the dorm!
I agree with W2R, though, it's all going to work out fine. With my DD, I'm now three years past where you are. I'd worry more about a son...
I'll PM with some Houston specifics. Short version:
  • Rent the housing
  • Go for the car, even with the start-up hassles and carrying costs. Texas plates.
  • Houston is a big city, but danger isn't lurking on every corner
  • Surprise her with an IKEA and Target gift certificate. She'll have the place furnished and ready to go in 24 hours. (A son, on the other hand, would come home with three cases of "cheap and delicious" Swedish meatballs - then throw a party when he remembers that he only has a 1-case freezer.)
She & spouse have cut a pretty wide swath through IKEA & Target the last couple years, so I think they'll be furnishing the place with "early dumpster discards" found on OwlList.

When she graduates and the Navy ships her load of furniture from her home of record to her first duty station, we're going to let her pick anything out of our house. She'll pack out her high-school bedroom set, of course, and selected other couches & chairs. It'll be interesting to see what she picks.

We learned this trick from a retiring Air Force officer. When he and his spouse retired to their new "forever dream house" and their daughter married a servicemember, they let the happy newlyweds clean about 5000 pounds out of Mom & Dad's house. Then Mom & Dad went shopping for new retirement furniture to redecorate their new retirement house.

Spouse and I will probably do it from Craigslist, but that depends on what our daughter takes from us.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote