Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCD View Post
I have heard him mentioned on another blog. Read the New Yorker article and read his follow-up comment. As far as I know he is paid through clicks and affiliate sales on his blog. He doesn't personally charge anybody anything, so not sure how he is conning anyone.

I have not ventured over to his site. Others have mentioned a propensity for foul language of which I'm not a fan so I'm not one of his rabid fans seeking to defend. :O)
I've been doing a little more reading on his site because you don't want to be judgmental. I have a hard time getting passed all the name calling and swearing like it's a bunch of little boys. For me at least, any good information gets lost in the shouting.
He doesn't charge anybody but he does take donations.
"Some generous people have actually asked me if they could donate to this blog just to say thanks. I have always said no in the past, but given the new goals above, I will now accept that generosity and see how it goes. This is of course fully optional.. if you just want to read for free, please continue to do so! This Paypal Button"
Get Rich With: Blogging?
Love the title of this blog post.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

The people on that site are very helpful!!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

I just hope whoever makes Magic: The Gathering cards reads the New Yorker article and sends a few brand new packages of the cards to the little guy in the mustache house. Sounds like it's the only thing the kid likes to do that connects him with other kids but dad has to be a badass about that too.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I just hope whoever makes Magic: The Gathering cards reads the New Yorker article and sends a few brand new packages of the cards to the little guy in the mustache house. Sounds like it's the only thing the kid likes to do that connects him with other kids but dad has to be a badass about that too.
Mr. MM actually responded to that on the Boggle and the reporter didn't quite give the full story. Of course the problem with media attention like that is you lose some control over your story. Although, I'm sure the extra attention has probably provided quite a benefit, too. Risk/Reward. :O)
Old 02-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry that was on his forum: New Yorker Article: The Scold - Mr. Money Mustache’s retirement (sort of) plan

cd :O)
Old 02-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCD View Post
Mr. MM actually responded to that on the Boggle and the reporter didn't quite give the full story. Of course the problem with media attention like that is you lose some control over your story. Although, I'm sure the extra attention has probably provided quite a benefit, too. Risk/Reward. :O)
Thanks, Chris--I'll stop worrying about the little guy now
Old 02-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #147
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Thanks, Chris--I'll stop worrying about the little guy now
The kid has $700 of his own dollars to spend on Magic. That's a lot of booster packs. Or a whole lot if he keeps buying the $20 packs of 1000 cards from amazon/ebay.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:58 AM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The kid has $700 of his own dollars to spend on Magic. That's a lot of booster packs. Or a whole lot if he keeps buying the $20 packs of 1000 cards from amazon/ebay.
I don't think it's really about the cards. He doesn't seem to have access to his savings or get to decide how to spend it, but now dad has let him buy thousands of unwanted cards for $20 instead. Oh well, one day he will see that one of the cards is worth something and will be blaming his mom for throwing them out when he moved away from home. Oh wait, that was DS and his baseball cards (bought new with his own money) And I know four little girls who will say the same thing about their Frozen memorabilia....
Old 02-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm really enjoying watching the MMM forum about the article and how they're arguing over his "business" travel and construction "hobby".

The amount of bending over backwards to justify whatever MMM says is outstanding. He's a contractor who often barters instead of taking direct payment. That's still working for money
Old 02-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
The amount of bending over backwards to justify whatever MMM says is outstanding. He's a contractor who often barters instead of taking direct payment. That's still working for money
yep, I don't consider that retired
Old 02-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #151

I'll just throw in one more voice for MMM providing a good service on the internet. I'm not in the target market for him: am not an "environmentalist" by today's standards, am still working long hours in mid-50s to support desired "insane" level of retirement spending, don't yet live in a walkable environment, paid full price for kids' private schooling, and don't own a working bicycle. But, I spent some time on his site in the past and he has some good ideas. In fact, I've referred some of my younger relatives (including sons) to the site.

Like every financial blogger, you take what is beneficial and relevant from his site. Some may find nothing, others may find a lot. Much like Wade Pfau, a much different thinker/writer, who some reject out of hand and others of us find to be a valuable resource.

To each his/her own.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

There's a reason we never accepted or solicited "free" press trips or products to review or pitched affiliate relationship deals for our travel blog. Because to accept that stuff you also have to accept the resulting quid-pro-quo relationships and deadlines that are indistinguishable from any other job.

And the old saying that "the man who loves what he does never works a day in his life" is only partly true. Because nobody loves taking orders from other people, whether those other people are called bosses or customers. And that's mostly what you get paid for in any paid assignment: to take crap from other people.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

All ethics and everything like that aside, I am blown away that anyone can make $400,000 a year from a blog like that!

I've only glanced at it, and I'm sure he puts a lot of work, ummm, I mean "doing what he wants do and enjoying life on his terms" in to it, but if I could make 1% of that figure with 1% of the effort, I might feel good about having some extra spending money for toys, w/o the guilt of 'raiding the stash'.

But I doubt it works that way.

-ERD50
Old 02-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Does he claim that as income? Despite what some think, bartering is still 'income' to Uncle Sam.

-ERD50
Old 02-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Does he claim that as income? Despite what some think, bartering is still 'income' to Uncle Sam.

-ERD50
Perhaps not if he really really enjoys it and really, man, like really, it is a hobby that he would do for fun even if his backyard was full of gold bars.

Ha
Old 02-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
All ethics and everything like that aside, I am blown away that anyone can make $400,000 a year from a blog like that!
I'm dubious.

He's got a successful site, no doubt, but it still takes a lot of work to pull down that kind of coin.

As an example, another pretty successful journalist / blogger named Andrew Sullivan built a following writing for the Atlantic and the Daily Beast before starting his own site. He had an 11 person team that turned out tons and tons of daily content. His commentaries were often picked up and discussed by news and opinion "celebrity" heavyweights, like David Brooks, etc. He had a following loyal enough that 34,000 people paid subscrition fees to avoid the site's pay-wall which was similar in structure to the one at the New York Times.

He was also super transparent about his finances. In 2013, which I think was his last full year before burning out and retiring from blogging, his site pulled down $851K in gross revenue.

Can MMM make half as much writing every couple of weeks? If so, hats off to him.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

I'll say one more thing. There's a ton of behind the scenes stuff that goes into building a successful and profitable website that few people would consider enjoyable . . . Search Engine Optimization, designing, coding, brand analytics, networking, pitching, marketing, legal, etc.

If you're making any meaningful money from it, it's a job.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
I'll say one more thing. There's a ton of behind the scenes stuff that goes into building a successful and profitable website that few people would consider enjoyable . . . Search Engine Optimization, designing, coding, brand analytics, networking, pitching, marketing, legal, etc.

If you're making any meaningful money from it, it's a job.
That is true, but it can also get to a point where it doesn't require as much time and still produce a handsome income. And if you do enjoy those things than it may not actually feel as much like a job. I can say before Google's animal updates I did enjoy DIY SEO and was a bit successful at it. It got to a point where it wasn't as enjoyable for me and have not been in that arena for quite some time.

cd :O)
Old 02-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #159
Dryer sheet wannabe

Mr MM Explains the Why of FIRE

Reading MMM's blog is what got me started on the idea of trying to reach FIRE, but I no longer read it very much or read the forum. The forum is strongly atheistic to the point of being openly antagonistic to anybody who is religious. They are also pretty arrogant people. The biggest section of the forum is an area to shame people who aren't living a monk-like spartan lifestyle like them.

I did learn some useful stuff though, like the importance of having skills you can monetize and the importance of being able to DIY to save money. I also picked up a tendency to avoid using conveniences when putting out a little more work is better for me (i.e. DIY, riding a bicycle or walking instead of taking a car whenever possible, cooking my own food instead of ordering in, doing my own cleaning, growing a garden, etc.)

I also got the idea to really start investing from reading the blog. MMM's tendency to refer to his dollars as his "employees" changed my mindset about the purpose of money and work. Now I invest my money so I can profit from other people's work as well as my own work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyCat View Post
Reading MMM's blog is what got me started on the idea of trying to reach FIRE, but I no longer read it very much or read the forum. The forum is strongly atheistic to the point of being openly antagonistic to anybody who is religious. They are also pretty arrogant people. The biggest section of the forum is an area to shame people who aren't living a monk-like spartan lifestyle like them.

I did learn some useful stuff though, like the importance of having skills you can monetize and the importance of being able to DIY to save money. I also picked up a tendency to avoid using conveniences when putting out a little more work is better for me (i.e. DIY, riding a bicycle or walking instead of taking a car whenever possible, cooking my own food instead of ordering in, doing my own cleaning, growing a garden, etc.)

I also got the idea to really start investing from reading the blog. MMM's tendency to refer to his dollars as his "employees" changed my mindset about the purpose of money and work. Now I invest my money so I can profit from other people's work as well as my own work.

I must be improving as a "Boss" because my "employees" are working a lot harder now. The first 15 years out of college the only thing my employees would do on the job was buy cars, go to bars, and chase women. As a boss, I am ashamed they were allowed to get away with that and not be fired! Oh well, thankfully the pension glossed over the unproductively from these employees.