Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Panama, Honduras, Vietnam, Argentina, Thailand? Where to retire?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

is brazil easy to get residency in? argentina is, that is one of the reasons why i am gravitating towards there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
is brazil easy to get residency in? argentina is, that is one of the reasons why i am gravitating towards there.
I have recently been told that it is also easy to reside legally in Chile. It is said to be one of the least corrupt countries in South America, has a stong economy and is easy to start businesses there. Cost of living is said to be one of the highest in Latin America, but not very high compared to the US. It sounds very promising from a business standpoint.

On the other hand, I have heard (and can attest) that Chilean men tend towards being lady-killers (macho with an exploitative attitude towards women).

By several accounts, manners in Uruguay are more like those in North America. Unfortunately, Uruguay has a sleepier economy and is not growing very fast.

Both Chile and Uruguay are said to be very safe. (Notwithstanding that a friend of mine was robbed of everything but his pants in a cab in Chile.)

All three countries sound very interesting to me personally and I have hopes of a long visit in that part of the world, but I have no thoughts of starting a business down there. I think they would be worth a fact-finding trip.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I think believe jp was refering to the fact that some retired men find Thailand appealing because they can find young Thai woman looking husbands/boyfriends who will provide financial security for them and their family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
The more I think about it, that is a big incentive for me as a woman to NOT move to Thailand.
Hmmm If you are hungry for a hamburger, eventually you will find a MickeyDs. That doesn't mean every shop on the street is selling hamburgers. OTOH if you aren't looking for a hamburger, you may just walk past a MickeyD without realizing 'Hey there's a MickeyD'. Although I have never been, I have a feeling there are a few MickeyDs in South America. And I have heard there might even be some outlets in the US.*

Mike
Old 04-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

yeah, but if you aren't looking for a hamburger and mickyd's are all around you, you might just start thinking a hamburger might not be a bad idea.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:57 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Why not just keep him in NYC, where although good looking enough, many of the women possess frightening personalities?

Ha
Old 04-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I do not know how easy it is to get "formal" residency in Brazil, but I do know that immigration rules are not enforced very strongly and the country is in general very open to outsides. For example, over the past several years there has been a wave of illegal immigrants from China into Brazil. Many of them sometimes get cought by police on completely unrelated matters. It has been the government policy NOT to deport these people, but simply legalize them. Brazil, like the USA, is a country made up of immigrants and it is just not part of the Brazilian culture to discriminate against people because they are born somewhere else. Xenophobia is a big taboo down there. Any politician down there who dared to propose building some sort of wall or fence to keep immigrants out would fairly quickly be labled as a racist pig or worse by the mass media. So I belive that you should not have a whole lot of problem getting residency. You might want to try to contact the Brazilian consulate in NYC. They tend to be quite helpful.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Seriously why not India? I've not seriously researched it but curious if anyone else has.

Warm weather if not in far Northern part, lots of coastline, rising but still relatively low cost of living, less need to learn another language since so many English speakers, and you might even find your non-Indian accent quite in demand if you're looking for part time work.

If computer programmers are middle class making 8k/year how much could it possibly take for a Westerner to do so, especially without same need to commute/etc.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And the food. Mumm!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
And the food. Mumm!
Past the pepto
Old 04-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Not too keen on India. If you aren't Indian they can be very racist- to both blacks and whites, but not to chinese for some reason. One of the reasons why I am thinking of Argentina, I would blend in there or even Brazil, well until they hear my accent. Keep in mind that everywhere is racist, but maybe in a different way than what you are used to. I would not want to be middle eastern in France, but wouldn't mind being black there. Wouldn't want to be filipino in japan but wouldn't mind being white there. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that is the way I see it. I find it fascinating how all groups have their own racist leanings. In Europe an American can get a lot of heat for their nationality but if you are a non-white American, they don't give you problems, because then you don't fit into the "evil white bush loving american" stereotype. And this is funny, because it is white europeans who would be the ones doing this. Please let me clarify, I dislike or like, whatever the mood I am in that day, all races equally. But the truth is if you are a white person in India, you will have beggars flocking around you and if you are white or black in india, then you are not welcome to marry one of them by their families. I hear that in other parts of Asia, it is a great thing to get a White American husband. I could be wrong here, but want somewhere that I can blend into better. Goa, though, I hear has a big expat community, so who knows. Never been to Goa though.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, and southern Indians seem to be more relaxed about things, many are christian so they don't have that whole caste thing going on. So maybe what I said only holds true for parts of India, as it is such a big and diverse country
Old 04-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK I don't know too much about the country but have you researched Chile? I have never heard anyone mention it before, maybe for good reason or maybe due to it being a road less traveled.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

heard good things. don't know much yet though.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Chile, anyone?

FYI, a fellow I know set up this web sitte:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dchappell/chile/

Dave might respond to intelligent questions about Chile, too.

This web site is also interesting, if a little behind:

http://www.chipsites.com/

Cheers!

Ed

Old 04-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #55

I think it's very hard or impossible for a foreigner to own property or live permanently in India, but I'm not completely sure. Other than that, it sounds like parts of it would make for a very nice inexpensive retirement spot.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:52 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Seriously why not India?
I worked on an extended assignment in India a while back. I have zero interest in returning and cannot imagine why a westerner would want to move there. I have the same feelings about New York City.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:27 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know too much but I have heard of backpackers living semi-premantly in Goa. But my impression is you would have to seriously like the culture to live in India.

I think where the Japanese retire in Asia is a good indication of where is good.
Tops tier is Australia and New Zealand, then Malaysia, Thailand, Phillipines (possibly in that order). I don't think India or China is on the radar

Mike
Old 04-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I worked on an extended assignment in India a while back.* I have zero interest in returning and cannot imagine why a westerner would want to move there.* I have the same feelings about New York City.
Yeah, well, that is why I want a home abroad somewhere cheaper, more laid back and did I mention cheaper?* I really have to like the culture of where I am going, and not a huge fan of India.* And it is getting much more expensive to live there.* Gotta keep a foothold in New York though for now, home is home and not ready to completely drop out yet.* But maybe down the road...
Old 04-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Oops, did the quote thing wrong before.* And anyone know about New Zealand?*

(Moderator edit: Fixed the quote; the "/quote" had an extra space at the end and the software kept adding to it in an attempt to fix the problem.)
Old 04-12-2006, 06:59 PM   #60

Quote:
Not too keen on India. If you aren't Indian they can be very racist- to both blacks and whites, but not to chinese for some reason.
Indians seem to treat whites/blacks/asians with a great deal curiousity, but I don't know if I would call it racist. I do agree about the beggars/shopkeepers etc, they automatically assume that you have money so they hound you or try to rip you off. I didn't get the impression about intermarriage being a problem either, but like you said, it's a big country, with plenty of conservative parts.

The Indian government has also issued a mandate to stop the practice of charging foreigners different rates than locals to get into tourist sites.

I don't think I could retire there either, it's a little too much sensory overload, but I will definitely visit frequently once I retire.

Quote:
Oops, did the quote thing wrong before. And anyone know about New Zealand?
I absolutely LOVED New Zealand! The landscape of the country is stunning and there is such a variety of things to do. I also thought that it was very cheap, but this was in 1999. People are really friendly. About the only negative that I can think of is that it's far away from everywhere if you want to travel.