Re: Any Pharmacists on here? Walmart thread

azanon

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wasn't judging anyone that shops there, Justin. Just pointing out that walmart is no Saint. You disagree with that general statement?

In general, i agree with what the media reports. In general. There are exceptions of course. I fall on the liberal/democratic side, so ive noticed that the media tends to be on the side i'm on - with the exception of fox news.

Re: Any Pharmacists on here?

azanon said:
I wasn't judging anyone that shops there, Justin. Just pointing out that walmart is no Saint. You disagree with that general statement?

In general, i agree with what the media reports. In general. There are exceptions of course. I fall on the liberal/democratic side, so ive noticed that the media tends to be on the side i'm on - with the exception of fox news.

Walmart probably does some bad things. I think every fortune 500 company in existence has probably done some bad things.

I don't pull an ethics report on every company that I patronize. I have not heard anything about Walmart that would turn me off from shopping there. They are in business to make money, and they are very effective. I have not found a single store that I like better than Walmart. Most small town consumers agree.

I think the idea of demonizing a corporation like liberals (and some conservatives!) do is ridiculous. If you don't like shopping there, don't shop there. Why do we have to polarize ourselves over an issue like how good/bad walmart is? As the late Sam Walton is famous for saying, "Can't we all just get along?"

I think the idea of demonizing a corporation like liberals (and some conservatives!) do is ridiculous.

The only reason we're having this discussion is caused you started off by pointing out how my dad's business deal was not in the best interest of the people. It was as if you were implying that walmart only makes business decisions based on what helps their clients.

If you don't like shopping there, don't shop there.

I don't.

MESSAGE FROM MODERATOR:

Per request, in an attempt to give two good discussions their own threads, I have split out the Walmart discussion from the "LBYM, young pharmacist" thread. Or at least I tried. I'm sorry not all relevant posts got moved, I hope there is enough for continuity. :) :)

lol - i dont have anything else to say on this.

Dang, well it was good practice anyway. Too bad, I was enjoying reading the conversation. In general, please bear with me as I learn how to fly this thing... :)

azanon said:
The only reason we're having this discussion is caused you started off by pointing out how my dad's business deal was not in the best interest of the people. It was as if you were implying that walmart only makes business decisions based on what helps their clients.

I think you are attributing someone else's comment to me. I didn't say your dad's business deal wasn't in the best interest of the people. I did say that I am able to obtain cheaper prescription pharmaceuticals at walmart than what I can get with insurance. But I don't think that is what you were referring to.

I think your father was clever/lucky to get the exclusivity clause in his rental agreement. It will effectively stop walmart in that shopping center from opening a pharmacy. But when your dad's rental agreement expires, you can bet anything that walmart will pay the landlord a sufficient amount of money to allow it to start a pharmacy. They probably have already inked a deal in contemplation of your dad's lease expiring! I know I would if I were representing walmart.

Your dad can compete on other points besides price. Customer service, friendliness and knowledge of the pharmacists can potentially beat walmart's low low prices. I wouldn't bet on it, but it isn't impossible. Your father has a business and it is subject to competition. Unfortunately for your father, that competitor is Walmart.

I have a question for you about your decision to not shop at Walmart. Do you acknowledge that prices are slightly to moderately cheaper there, and in spite of this continue to shop where you do? Do you go to Target instead? The fact that some people hate a company as seemingly benign as walmart is very interesting to me on a personal level.

Hey Laurence:

Just a suggestion, but when you snip something like this out of another thread, it would be a lot clearer if the title were changed, too. Otherwise it is hard to tell which is the original discussion and which is the non-sequitur.

I should fess up that it was my suggestion to split the topic, so the new poster, Dave, wouldn't have his first topic hijacked. And I wanted to respond to the Walmart discussion, but I can't remember anymore what I was going to say. :-\

So which thread is this now? The "Are there any Pharmacists out there?" or Wally world----the evil empire?

Wally world----the evil empire

Ok, thanks........it is hard to keep up with all the meetings I have today.  :confused:

Wally World---The Evil Empire.

I choose to shop there and at Sam's Club....The Dark Side of Wally World, for two reasons:

1.  I can save money on the stuff I need to buy.

2. I own stock in the company and as part of my investment philosophy is to buy stock in companies I know through their products i.e., Kroger, Dell, Wal Mart, Cendent, a few drug stocks and some software/hardware companies.  

The Evil Empire is hated because it is a microcosm of America in many ways.  It is the ugly side of free enterprise and since it operates on huge volume it can offer low prices which results in a less competitive environment.  It is all that is good about a capitalistic society presented in smiley faces  :), consumer hype, and mega corporation flag waving.  It is what all companies are to strive for....massive markets and huge cash flows.  

Beside, Sam Walton is a very very distant relative.  8)  

Did anyone read the New York Times article about Costco being the Anti-Walmart? I wanted to link it, but I guess you have to pay for archived articles there (and since we all are LBYM types I will summerize)

Basically, they reduce prices as much as possible while paying employees above average wages and healthcare benefits. They have very low turnover in employees. Also, if the CEO finds out a vendor is giving someone else a better deal, then he cuts that vendor off.

I haven't shopped there, but I don't shop at Walmart anymore either. Now that I live in Seattle I may just join Costco if I can find a place to put 50 rolls of TP in my 800 square foot apartment!

Ah Costco, personally I think it's a tool of the devil! I just love the store WAY too much. I go in for TP, baby stuff, the usual stuff that a good LBYM stocks up on in vast quantities when there is a special or we get our coupon book from them. But then, I see they have 93 point Cabernet there for "only" $15 bucks, and the NY strip steaks are about as thick as my arm, and oh look! That's an awesome car wash kit!

....I am weak.

I do get my work clothes there, standard attire here is slacks and polos, and I can get a complete outfit for under $25. :)

My nephew works for Costco (tire department) and speaks highly of them.  Excellant training, good teamwork, fair wages and treatment.

I shop at Costco but don't spend as much on 'stuff' as in earlier days.  My spending reflects my values, I am not a WalMart or Sams Club customer although I have walked through their stores to look at their merchandising.  I prefer Fred Meyer, Safeway, Trader Joe's, Costco and Whole Foods (aka, Whole Paycheck).  Each has their strengths, none have systemic compensation or employee relations issues.

Ugh, Trader Joe's is another one! I could spend all day there, and Cost Plus World Market. I'm glad to hear they treat their employees well, I certainly bought enough wine and cheesecake organic vegetables there. :)

Has anyone ever looked at how much Trader Joe's employees make? They make some decent cash and can make some major $$$ after a while. I was trying to convince some a friend to take a second job there to pay off some debt.
No wonder the employees are so friendly and helpful. I've been going there since 1998 and I think I've had maybe one or two bad employee experiences in all those years at many different stores.

My comment about Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is much more of a gut call than specific knowledge.  In my 26+ years with DOL I audited the old line employers on the list, none are perfect but they fixed their issues.  Trader Joes and Whole Foods are relatively new.  However, like an old Cop who walks a beat one aquires a sense of how employees are treated by observing them.  It can be as subtle as body language between employees and supervisors, how employees carry themselves and in a tight labor market do you see the same faces over several months (retention). 

Consider where WalMart started.. stores in rural communities with few employment opportunities.  That was where their employment practices developed.  As they moved to the edge of suburbia employee expectations were higher and issues surfaced. 

The labor markets where Trader Joe's and Whole Foods started operation are much different, it is competitive.  My observation is that they are hiring people who have other employment options and they seem happy.

When my daughter was a student at Kent State, she worked in the baby department at a nearby Walmart. One day they brought out a bunch of boxes for her to put on racks and she noticed a foul odor. She opened one of the boxes and found a dead rat inside a box of baby clothes. Freaked, she called one of the managers and showed him the rat. He went and got a bottle of Febreze and told her to spray the clothes before she hung them up. To this day she says that Febreze smells like dead rat to her. I'm willing to bet this goes on in other stores but I just can't get over that dam rat! :-[

cabbage said:
When my daughter was a student at Kent State, she worked in the baby department at a nearby Walmart.  One day they brought out a bunch of boxes for her to put on racks and she noticed a foul odor. She opened one of the boxes and found a dead rat inside a box of baby clothes. Freaked, she called one of the managers and showed him the rat.  He went and got a bottle of Febreze and told her to spray the clothes before she hung them up.  To this day she says that Febreze smells like dead rat to her.  I'm willing to bet this goes on in other stores but I just can't get over that dam rat! :-[

I'm willing to bet you've eaten FOOD that had rodents removed
from it. I used to work in a butcher shop. I could write a book.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
I'm willing to bet you've eaten FOOD that had rodents removed
from it.  I used to work in a butcher shop.  I could write a book.

JG

I agree. I used to work in a deli.

Maybe we could start a new diet. Take people on tours of butcher shops, delis, chicken and cattle slaughterhouses.......

Back
Top Bottom