She's Moving Back Home - College Grad - Need Advice!

Do people really take jobs/pursue careers that might provide a decent paycheck but might not be a good fit at all? If so, maybe that explains why so many people want to RE.

There may a be a lot folks who start out in one direction and one promotion leads to another to the point where you end up in an area that pays really well but isn't where you want --or ever wanted to be.

As time goes on you realize that you could do a better job than your idiot boss and when the opportunity comes, along with more money, well.....

The school teacher who ends up being the principal, the cop that ends up being the chief, the sales guy who becomes VP of sales.

OTOH I wonder if a lot of people start out following their passion but then life gets complicated. What you love just won't support a spouse, 3 kids and all that goes along with it. Being a poet/painter/historian are nice professions, but......

Last edited:
I think there is a range here. Sure, most people don't "love" their work so much they are happily working in their 70s. On the other hand, I think that many people do have jobs that are well suited to their talents and interests and don't make them miserable and unhappy.

I don't advocate that people shouldn't consider economics in choosing a job. I think you should consider how hard it is to find a job in the field and what type of earnings are likely.

But...that is not saying that every person should simply pick a career based solely on those things either.

There are fields where I could probably complete the course of study and go into that field but where I would either be miserably unhappy because I hated the work or I would be mediocre because it didn't make use of my talents and required me to use abilities that aren't my strongest. I don't think doing that would be a good idea even if, on paper, that was a high paying field. Good engineers can be paid well. Miserable, mediocre engineers are unlikely to have great career or life success.
http://www.early-retirement.org//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

When I was a kid I grew up in the construction business. My father owned a decent sized construction company which I worked for every summer since I was twelve. When I graduated from college with a degree in engineering I figured that I would do as I always had done and go to work in the family business. But my father had other plans!! He sold his business and left me without a job and a pile of student loans. To say that I was devastated and angry was the understatement of the century for me at the time and I rebelled big time. So what did I do? I moved as far away as I could. I had a total of $2300.00 to my name and I packed up my things and my dog and I move to Maui! Now that was 29 years ago and as I look back upon that time in my life, I wouldn't have had it any other way. It was the most exciting time in my life and I'll never forget it. I could go on for hours telling my story of how I moved to Hawaii with $2300.00 but I would get too far off track. The point is that your daughter is at the prime time in her life for adventure and excitement. She's been prepared and she's ready. She's not too young and she's not too old. She's just right and it's my opinion that you need to give her a gentle push out into the world. Living at home with mommy and daddy aint where its at. The excitement of adventure is just waiting for her but FEAR is standing in the way of the best time of her life. Push her out there into the deep water! When she learns to swim the adventure that comes her way will last her for a lifetime and when she gets older she will thank your fatherly wisdom. If you love her you want to see her live the most awesome life possible and I'm sorry to say that it won't come from the safety and security of mommy and daddy's house.

Thanks NOLADave and others. Agree your 20's are valuable growing opportunities. The gentle nudge is a great motivator.

So, Here's an update. She has been back home for a month. She discovered 'networking' and landed a paid 4-month internship at a small but growing marketing company in town. The pay is hourly but the experience of wearing multiple hats each day could be valuable. Will keep everyone posted. Thx.

Back
Top Bottom