She's Moving Back Home - College Grad - Need Advice!

OP still around and taking some good notes here. The shock is DD has good grades, good looks, has 2 computer engineer parents who have done very well but still DD is struggling. Never expected her to move back home to our small downsized space and neither did DD. She is aggressively looking, has some interviews lined up but I am still concerned she is spraying bullets without specific purpose or target. Almost like not ready for real world. Oh, and pretty much all of her friends have already landed decent paying professional positions. She has a huge amount of motivation without DW and I even having to say anything. Most folks on the thread are advocating patients as this issue is somewhat self correcting. Again, taking some good notes like maybe repositioning her for career with more demand in today's world. Can't thank everyone enough for the positive posts!!

As others have mentioned... I think it is the degree that is holding her back... can she go get a 'better' one with maybe one more year? Some degrees are pretty close and with just a few classes you are there...

I would take my time.... but I would also make a deadline.... IOW, if she decides to go a Masters route, or another degree... then she gets a bit of wiggle room... if she decides to stick with what she has, then maybe in 6 months start charging and in 12 move her out... as long as she knows up front your expectations it should go OK...

Our "rule" is that kids living at home not at school need to either have a job or be actively looking for a job. If looking for a full-time job after school, I would say that if a full-time job isn't food in a reasonable period (a couple of months), that a part-time job should be taken that wouldn't interfere with interviewing (deliveries pizzas, weekend work, etc.).

As for "rent", once a job is obtained, my position is that I don't charge rent but I would charge an amount equal to the out of pocket cost of having the adult child at home. So, some amount to cover extra utilities and cost of food. I would expect the adult child to cover his/her other expenses such as clothing, gas, auto insurance, health costs, etc. Obviously until a job is obtained there really isn't a way to collect on those costs.

As far as the daughter's situation, I don't necessarily think it is a big deal not to have found a job yet. I do tend to agree that the problem may be the major. I wonder if your daughter really assessed career possibilities before getting the degree. Do her friends who have jobs have the same major or perhaps other more marketable majors? What is it that your daughter wants to do with the degree? Why that degree?

I wouldn't have her just go to graduate school if she doesn't have a realistic plan of how going to graduate school will benefit her career prospects? On the other hand, if she made a bad choice of major (and I don't know if she did) then a relatively short program in something else might work. But, on the other hand, it might not make sense to go back to school for another several years just because she hasn't found a job in 2 months if her major is viable.

I am surprised that nobody on this thread has mentioned networking yet as a job placement tool. It has worked quite effectively for both myself and DW over the years.

When you are just blasting out resumes you will be compared to the perhaps hundred other resumes and it will be hard for you to stand out.

With networking you will still have to go through the standard corporate interview process, but having someone on the back end who is looking for your resume can make all the difference in the world IMHO.

-gauss

I am surprised that nobody on this thread has mentioned networking yet as a job placement tool. It has worked quite effectively for both myself and DW over the years.

When you are just blasting out resumes you will be compared to the perhaps hundred other resumes and it will be hard for you to stand out.

With networking you will still have to go through the standard corporate interview process, but having someone on the back end who is looking for your resume can make all the difference in the world IMHO.

-gauss

The difficultly with this particular situation is that a recent college grad won't have a very big pool of people to network with. Maybe Mom and Dad have a few contacts from their work life, or perhaps a church or even volunteer work.
Maybe while looking for the job the grad could do a little volunteering herself to widen her contacts.

Originally Posted by ERD50 ...
I'm still curious about this being a 'shock' - ?

-ERD50
OP still around and taking some good notes here. The shock is DD has good grades, good looks, has 2 computer engineer parents who have done very well but still DD is struggling. Never expected her to move back home ...

Good looks and good grades help (even though looks shouldn't matter, I think studies show they do). But have you considered that degrees in Computer Engineering may be in far more demand than new grads with a degree in International Studies? I haven't looked up the stats, but I'd expect a huge delta. So again, why are you 'shocked'? Or is my impression wrong, and new grads with a degree in International Studies are in high demand?

It sounds to me like there may be a gap in expectations and reality. Did you/she research the job market opportunities before settling on this degree? Sometimes it makes sense for people to choose what appeals to them, but if that is in a field with low demand, they should not be 'shocked' that it is tough to land a job as a new grad.

Oh, and pretty much all of her friends have already landed decent paying professional positions.

And what did degrees did her friends earn?

-ERD50

Old School...
Tough love.
No enabling.
Short of having physical or mental handicap, raising a healthy child to age 18 is the end of parental responsibility.

By that age, the future can be decided by the individual... either the parent or the offspring. If the parent chooses to accept continuing responsibility, then there should be no complaints. A matter of personal preference.

Some time ago, I took some heat about not being involved 24/7 in the lives of my children and their families. We are still loving, and close, but their lives belong to them. We are there for consulting, but not for trying to direct their daily lives or their future. :flowers:

The difficultly with this particular situation is that a recent college grad won't have a very big pool of people to network with. Maybe Mom and Dad have a few contacts from their work life, or perhaps a church or even volunteer work.
Maybe while looking for the job the grad could do a little volunteering herself to widen her contacts.

In my case I networked with my fellow students while I was still at the University.

I mentioned to a classroom acquaintance that I was going to be leaving early and not getting a PhD after all. He was on Fellowship from his employer. He told me they were starting up a new group in my area of concentration. Started the job a few months later after graduation.

In recent years, I have read about actual networking events being organized after work in pubs. You would not have to know anyone going into an event like that.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

One of my life truisms is that it is not about how you play the game or if you win or lose -- instead it is all about which game you choose to play.

-gauss

Last edited:
Another item that I did not see mentioned in this thread is how did the daughter spend her summers while she was earning her degree?

I would have thought an internship or co-op job related to her field of study would have gone a long way at this point - either with direct job offers from the sponsoring organization if they was a good fit, or experience that could be leveraged during the job hunt.

Obviously the OP can't change the past, but this thread can also serve as advice to other parents with up and coming children.

Last edited:
OP still around and taking some good notes here. The shock is DD has good grades, good looks, has 2 computer engineer parents who have done very well but still DD is struggling. Never expected her to move back home to our small downsized space and neither did DD. She is aggressively looking, has some interviews lined up but I am still concerned she is spraying bullets without specific purpose or target. Almost like not ready for real world. Oh, and pretty much all of her friends have already landed decent paying professional positions. She has a huge amount of motivation without DW and I even having to say anything. Most folks on the thread are advocating patients as this issue is somewhat self correcting. Again, taking some good notes like maybe repositioning her for career with more demand in today's world. Can't thank everyone enough for the positive posts!!
International Studies can be tough. I know a young lady who graduated with such, and she had all the same qualities. She did land a job right away, but not in that field. As it turns out, she was hired within a few years by the college as their representative for that field.

I think you and wifey should chill and leave this young woman alone. Give her a place to live and eat, and get out of her hair.

And all the "advice" here-if she tried to follow it she might feel like the hungry and thirsty donkey between water and oats, who died being unable to decide which to do first.

I let my kids alone and the least well paid of them makes $150K/yr, the other 7 figures. One's offspring will do better without the helicopters obscuring their vision. I can see that most of my advice to my kids would have been objectively bad, and resented (rightfully). After all, what did I accomplish. ER? BFD!

Ha

I think you and wifey should chill and leave this young woman alone. Give her a place to live and eat, and get out of her hair.

And all the "advice" here-if she tried to follow it she might feel like the hungry and thirsty donkey between water and oats, who died being unable to decide which to do first.

I let my kids alone and the least well paid of them makes $150K/yr, the other 7 figures. One's offspring will do better without the helicopters obscuring their vision. I can see that most of my advice to my kids would have been objectively bad, and resented (rightfully). After all, what did I accomplish. ER? BFD!

Ha

Ha, I am glad the hands off approach worked for your adult kids, but there are a lot of college grads out there with huge student loans and part-time jobs at Starbucks. Student loan debt is reaching $1 trillion a year and dragging down our entire economy. If those grads all had six figure jobs those loans would likely be getting paid off.

Part of the problem is "students prefer to study things employers are not willing to pay for":

Where the Jobs Are, and the College Grads Aren't - US News

"But students with a ken for liberal arts—who often argue that expanding your mind is more important than learning technical knowledge—might want to reverse their thinking. Perhaps your investment in education should go toward learning things you can earn a living at, with intellectual stimulation coming later, when you can afford the indulgence. Otherwise, college can turn out to be a mighty expensive hobby."

Last edited:
I encouraged my kids to HIT.

Healthcare or Information Technology.

I became a registered nurse because my mother told me that RN's will always have a choice of many positions. She was right. I went on to get a masters in nursing because I wanted the choice of even more jobs.

Tough work...but RN's can work in so many areas, including independently as practitioners. They are in demand outside of health care in law enforcement and legal firms as well.

I encouraged my kids to HIT.

Healthcare or Information Technology.

The problem with this is that both of those fields require a certain type of mind and thinking. STEM fields are great...for people whose minds work that way. But, not everyone's minds work that way.

I have a son who is currently a senior computer science major. His mind works that way and he is well-suited for those kinds of fields.

On the other hand, my daughter's mind does not work that way. She would crash and burn if she even considered those types of fields.

I do believe that it is a legitimate point to encourage kids to major in fields where they will learn skills that employers will pay for. I do think that obtaining gainful employment with a degree is a worthy goal.

But, not every kid is suited by how their mind works to go into the more science/technology related fields.

Ha, I am glad the hands off approach worked for your adult kids, but there are a lot of college grads out there with huge student loans and part-time jobs at Starbucks. Student loan debt is reaching $1 trillion a year and dragging down our entire economy. If those grads all had six figure jobs those loans would likely be getting paid off.

I think the $1 trillion is the total balance outstanding and not an annual number...

I became a registered nurse because my mother told me that RN's will always have a choice of many positions. She was right. I went on to get a masters in nursing because I wanted the choice of even more jobs.

Tough work...but RN's can work in so many areas, including independently as practitioners. They are in demand outside of health care in law enforcement and legal firms as well.

And now your mother would be wrong....

My sister is an RN... but got hers many years ago when you did not need a college degree.... but now with the rules out there it is hard to get hired without a degree.... and some want that masters like you have...

About 15 years ago my sister was told that she would have to get her degree... but was grandfathered in... they have continued to grandfather every couple of years... but only to people that were working... no new hires.... I think there are only a few left like my sister... last time she mentioned it she said they do not think they will grandfather anybody any more... so she will be out of a job....

Now, she is a surgery nurse and is requested by almost all the docs because she knows what to do and when to do it... most of the time they do not have to ask... so all that skill is going to go out the door because she cannot tick a box on a hospital review....

BTW, getting a degree will give her zero new skills... she sometimes teaches the new nurses on what to do that have that degree....

I think the $1 trillion is the total balance outstanding and not an annual number...

Sorry, you are right I should not have put "a year" and now it is too late for me to edit it. It is $1T outstanding.

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

- Confucius

Wasn't Confucius a hermit who simply came up with sayings? Something tells me that he never had to 'choose' that job that also involved working with his brother. Or that nightmare boss who's old enough to be his father. Or the cranky co-worker in HR that schedule endless meetings. Or the customer that has impossible demands for every project. Or the co-worker in the cubicle next door that has a distinctly nauseating odor. Or the person down the cube farm that steals your lunch. Or taking salary cuts, and/or having to work longer hours at the same pay.

Much like choosing a spouse and having the in-laws and other baggage part-and-parcel with the deal.....choosing a job involves a hell of a lot more than just what you are tasked with doing.

The problem with this is that both of those fields require a certain type of mind and thinking. STEM fields are great...for people whose minds work that way. But, not everyone's minds work that way.

I have a son who is currently a senior computer science major. His mind works that way and he is well-suited for those kinds of fields.

On the other hand, my daughter's mind does not work that way. She would crash and burn if she even considered those types of fields.

DW, (who used to be a software developer), and I are totally in sync on just about everything, except she's suited to that kind of endeavor and I never did find anything I was suited for. :D

....The shock is DD has good grades, good looks, has 2 computer engineer parents who have done very well but still DD is struggling. Never expected her to move back home to our small downsized space and neither did DD. She is aggressively looking, has some interviews lined up but I am still concerned she is spraying bullets without specific purpose or target. Almost like not ready for real world. ...

It sounds like she is getting interviews but not going beyond that? Might it be that she doesn't interview well?

Also, if she has friends working in the field then she should be networking with the to see if their organizations are looking for help.

Wow, with that type of degree I sure hope she is multilingual.

I like the military idea.

Another item that I did not see mentioned in this thread is how did the daughter spend her summers while she was earning her degree?

I would have thought an internship or co-op job related to her field of study would have gone a long way at this point - either with direct job offers from the sponsoring organization if they was a good fit, or experience that could be leveraged during the job hunt.

+1

This path may still be open to the OP's daughter. Perhaps she can look for fall semester internships, even though she is a graduate?

Reading this thread because I have one child who just graduated and (thankfully) has a job, and another graduating next year who should not have a problem getting one.

I'm struck by how many commenters are suggesting jobs/careers that might be popular/in demand yet might have nothing at all to do with the OP's daughters skills or interests.

Do people really take jobs/pursue careers that might provide a decent paycheck but might not be a good fit at all? If so, maybe that explains why so many people want to RE.

I'm struck by how many commenters are suggesting jobs/careers that might be popular/in demand yet might have nothing at all to do with the OP's daughters skills or interests.

Do people really take jobs/pursue careers that might provide a decent paycheck but might not be a good fit at all? If so, maybe that explains why so many people want to RE.

If we lived in fantasy land where everyone could always do what their heart desired, then the comments would likely be different.

Fantasy filed for chapter 11 and isn't hiring.

Back
Top Bottom