This forum may have ruined my life

I've had a boss and two BILs that have owned BMWs. I've ridden in all of them multiple times and drove one BILs BMW once. I'll agree that they were nice but I was not impressed enough to want one.

I once had a Volvo with which I was not overly impressed with as time went on. I fell for the "safety" aspect early in my child rearing days. The place I took it to for oil changes/routine maintenace also serviced BMWs. You could always tell which car someone had based on their service fee. Volvos were $79 and BMWs were $139. I got my Chevy done at another place for $39.

Just joined this forum, but I hope I don't feel this way after reading in here for a few months!

The whole idea of FIRE is pretty eye-opening.

Just joined this forum, but I hope I don't feel this way after reading in here for a few months!

What way do you feel? The ruined life part?

Last edited:
Based on his "gone traveling" status, I'd say your assumption was correct. :)

We had drifted so far from the original thread, I wasn't sure anymore. Let's talk about classic horror films next. Halloween is coming.

Yes, I agree. It is something I never realized was possible because few people around us were able to do it. It was so cool finding this forum and other similar resources on the Internet.

Yes, I agree. It is something I never realized was possible because few people around us were able to do it. It was so cool finding this forum and other similar resources on the Internet.

Still struggling under the yoke of a j*b, even after ~14 years of motley fool/REHP/er.org, but discussing FIRE, and pretty much everything else under the sun, has provided a welcome distraction from the aforementioned j*b!

The one thing we never really focused on until the last few years was putting our expenses under a microscope. We cut our energy and grocery bills in half with some relatively painless changes - keeping a price book, shopping at cheaper grocery stores in lower rent neighborhoods, cooking with more energy efficient small appliances, LED bulbs, etc.

Every $5K we cut from annual expenses meant needing $200K less in retirement funds. That was a new way of thinking for us.

I never used to think our pensions would play a significant role in our retirement plan, but the more we were able to cut our expenses the more the pensions covered. All the ER and sustainable living forums on the Internet really opened our eyes to a new way of thinking about lifestyle choices, little expenses adding up and FIRE.

Last edited:
We had drifted so far from the original thread, I wasn't sure anymore. Let's talk about classic horror films next. Halloween is coming.

Clearly Ghostbusters is one of them. But, keeping in the spirit of this thread, the scariest horror movie I have see is Office Space.

Two thoughts

Reading this thread, I have just two thoughts:
Remember how hard it is for people to find a job these days. Don't throw your job away because it may not be easy to find another one. Let this one simply be a place to work so you can finance your future retirement and finance things you enjoy doing right now.
Secondly, find a place outside of your workplace to give yourself to benefit others. That in itself might give you a renewed purpose in life.

Reading this thread, I have just two thoughts:
Remember how hard it is for people to find a job these days. Don't throw your job away because it may not be easy to find another one. Let this one simply be a place to work so you can finance your future retirement and finance things you enjoy doing right now.
Secondly, find a place outside of your workplace to give yourself to benefit others. That in itself might give you a renewed purpose in life.

It depends on your skill sets and your willingness to go back to school and learn something new, if needed. Some people might choose to use their later years to work for a nonprofit or switch careers to something more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom