Tinnitus help through hearing aids

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have an appointment next week with Audible a hearing aid office. Has anyone found help for tinnitus with a hearing aid device, maybe a masking tone? I asked about this when I made the appointment and they could not answer before the appt. I'm wondering if this will be a waste of time. My hearing is not bad, tinnitus is steadily getting worse with allergies.

I made the mistake of going to see Dune Part Two at the IMax. I had to leave, the sound was unbearable. I'll see it when it comes to streaming. The effect of those 15 minutes or so made my tinnitus worse. I can't tell if it calmed down.

I don't have any helpful info but please do post an update after your visit. I'm early 50s and noticing my tinnitus more and more. I don't listen to loud music and wear earplugs at concerts (carry them in my purse). But I've noticed more and more TV shows and movies put in a high-pitched sound after explosions etc that really trigger me. And, of course, every time a tinnitus thread pops up here I notice it more, too 😆

I made the mistake of going to see Dune Part Two at the IMax. I had to leave, the sound was unbearable. I'll see it when it comes to streaming. The effect of those 15 minutes or so made my tinnitus worse. I can't tell if it calmed down.

I recently got brave enough to put my name in for the jam session at a local club we go to. Managed to get through a few tunes with the band and felt I did OK, and it was fun/nerve-wracking. But I was surprised how loud it was on stage. It's a small place, but they do run the monitors out front, so I figured it would not be loud on stage. Not sure if it triggered my tinnitus to be worse, but I am very protective of whatever hearing I have left, so that was a bit of a turn off for me.

I even notice throwing a bottle into the recycle bin is just too loud of a noise, I just don't want to subject myself to that.

-ERD50

I have an appointment next week with Audible a hearing aid office. Has anyone found help for tinnitus with a hearing aid device, maybe a masking tone? I asked about this when I made the appointment and they could not answer before the appt. I'm wondering if this will be a waste of time. My hearing is not bad, tinnitus is steadily getting worse with allergies.

I wear earplugs to movies nowadays. And yeah, I definitely needed them, and more, at Dune 2. The hyperacusis seems to get worse with age

Check out treblehealth.com. They are online audiologists that deal exclusively with tinnitus etc. I’m not recommending them but they seem to profess a lot of expertise in using hearing aids for tinnitus. Part of their sales effort is they will fit you with the appropriate one for your particular problem, as many of the hearing aids have Bluetooth controlled maskers inside.

I think I would deal only with audiologists that are specialized in Tinnitus if you can find some.

Last edited:
Don't trust anyone trying to make a buck. The audiologist or anyone selling them will tell you they will help are very well could help. Or they will try to sell you TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy) which studies show don't help vs. standard of care.

I have severe tinnitus. It also causes brainfog, insomnia, and anxiety. The tinnitus masking sounds can help ease anxiety, and some people say that hearing aids can help make them less aware of tinnitus.

I've also seen other say they made their tinnitus worse, even after they stopped using them.

I think the masking technology could help some, but others complain that's just another noise on top of their tinnitus.

And always avoid concerts, movies, and other loud environments the best you can so that the tinnitus doesn't just keep getting worse even faster than it would otherwise. For more than 2 years now, I wear earplugs to mow, to use snowblower, power tools, even the blender. For someone that has mild tinnitus, you should still be very careful. A little over 2 years ago, I was in that boat. Things changed suddenly.

I hear my tinnitus over everything. Standard white noise machines are useless for me, but some cricket/cicada videos do some semi-masking.

DH had tinnitus and state-of-the-art hearing aids from Costco didn't help- but he died 7 years ago so maybe the technology is different.

Another cautionary tale: stupid mistake on my part. I was having a breast MRI and they do give you ear plugs but one may have fallen out during the procedure and I didn't push the button to get their attention. That machine is LOUD. I had occasional ticking noises for a couple of days afterwards. Thank heaven they went away. I asked the tech afterwards how manty decibels the machine produced and he said, "It's loud". I asked him to quantify it. He said, "It's over 90". Really, Dude, don't talk down to me. I looked it up later- 65 to 130. 130 is downright dangerous.

My Apple watch has a Noise app that tells you what level you're experiencing- very enlightening. There's even a setting that will cause the watch to vibrate if it's 90 or above. It's increased my use of ear plugs.

Another cautionary tale: stupid mistake on my part. I was having a breast MRI and they do give you ear plugs but one may have fallen out during the procedure and I didn't push the button to get their attention. That machine is LOUD. I had occasional ticking noises for a couple of days afterwards. Thank heaven they went away. I asked the tech afterwards how manty decibels the machine produced and he said, "It's loud". I asked him to quantify it. He said, "It's over 90". Really, Dude, don't talk down to me. I looked it up later- 65 to 130. 130 is downright dangerous.
Yeah, I've seen people report that an MRI caused/worsened their tinnitus. But Wow!!!, can't believe they did such a poor job inserting an earplug that it fell out. That could ruin someone's life - literally. Those foam plugs need to be inserted well to seal effectively.

Another bad one is the dentist. The loud drill transfers right through the bone, and earplugs don't help. Some people complain about the ultrasonic cleaning as well.

Wow, thanks for your comments. Mine is definitely getting worse. It’s as though the brain adapts to an extent, and I find myself thinking this is the new normal. It is here to stay. I’m grateful I can still hear the birds. And can enjoy a walk. Hard to believe 50 million people have this problem. One event can really set it off. I’ll follow up after my appointment.

Not sure if this gives anyone comfort. I read about my favorite 70s, 80s, rock musicians, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty etc all have tinnitus. Although Tom Petty passed I’m sure this is common among all of them. We’re not alone :(

Last edited:
If there was a cure for tinnitus that actually worked everyone would be talking about it on the musician forums that I read.

So far there is no cure, only different ways to mask it.

I even notice throwing a bottle into the recycle bin is just too loud of a noise, I just don't want to subject myself to that.

-ERD50

Glad to hear it's just not me. That is one of the most irritating / painful noises that I know. Where I live there we have to take our own recyclables to a recycling center. I keep a set of ear plugs in my vehicle because the sound of unloading the bottles is terrible.

There's an extensive thread on Reddit. Most of the posters are young, in their 20s panicking about the continuous buzzing in their ears. One insightful post went into detail about accepting it and trying deep breathing and meditation. He said to sit quietly and get used to it so it doesn't create panic. And to quit trying to find a cure. There is none. It's part of your life now.

Don't trust anyone trying to make a buck. The audiologist or anyone selling them will tell you they will help are very well could help. Or they will try to sell you TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy) which studies show don't help vs. standard of care.

I have severe tinnitus. It also causes brainfog, insomnia, and anxiety. The tinnitus masking sounds can help ease anxiety, and some people say that hearing aids can help make them less aware of tinnitus.

I've also seen other say they made their tinnitus worse, even after they stopped using them.

I think the masking technology could help some, but others complain that's just another noise on top of their tinnitus.

And always avoid concerts, movies, and other loud environments the best you can so that the tinnitus doesn't just keep getting worse even faster than it would otherwise. For more than 2 years now, I wear earplugs to mow, to use snowblower, power tools, even the blender. For someone that has mild tinnitus, you should still be very careful. A little over 2 years ago, I was in that boat. Things changed suddenly.

I hear my tinnitus over everything. Standard white noise machines are useless for me, but some cricket/cicada videos do some semi-masking.

+1 I can't believe that masking tinnitus with another noise would be helpful. That sounds like the old western traveling snake oil sales. If white noise did work I would think that some nice soothing low volume music instead would too.
I make a point of wearing those yellow foam earplugs in loud environments. At home I also wear hearing protection ear muffs that I use in my modest little workshop when not only using power tools but when I use the blender or use a vacuum. I would wear them for mowing the yard but I hired that out years ago.
We use to carry the yellow foam plugs when we went to the movies. Having the seats vibrate during the loud special effects is OK :D but needed something for our ears although we stopped going to the movies 5 years ago.

+1 I can't believe that masking tinnitus with another noise would be helpful. ... .

I recall reading of a study that helped some people, somewhat, for maybe a limited time - nothing close to a cure, but...

As I recall, it involved determining the frequencies of the noise the subject 'heard', and then having them listen to music (and/or noise?) with those offending frequencies filtered out.

The theory was that they got less external stimulation for those offending frequencies, and that somehow eased the brain into lowering its own internal volume of the noise.

So something along those lines may be possible.

-ERD50

By coincidence, I saw this in my news feed this morning.

Got tinnitus? A device that tickles the tongue helps this musician find relief
There's no cure, but there are a range of strategies to reduce the symptoms and make it less bothersome, including hearing aids, mindfulness therapy, and one newer option – a device approved by the FDA to treat tinnitus using electrical stimulation of the tongue.
She sought out audiologist Brian Fligor, who treats severe cases of tinnitus in the Boston area. Fligor was impressed by the results of a clinical trial that found 84% of participants who tried Lenire experienced a significant reduction in symptoms. He became one of the first providers in the U.S. to use the device with his patients. Fligor also served on an advisory panel assembled by the company who developed it.
"A good candidate for this device is somebody who's had tinnitus for at least three months," Fligor says, emphasizing that people should be evaluated first to make sure there's not an underlying medical issue.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...01055/tinnitus-hearing-loss-ringing-ear-noise

One insightful post went into detail about accepting it and trying deep breathing and meditation. He said to sit quietly and get used to it so it doesn't create panic. And to quit trying to find a cure. There is none. It's part of your life now.
Tinnitustalk.com is a good forum for those who suffer from tinnitus, and also discussion hyperacusis, noxacusis, and TTTS along with different medications and supplements for tinnitus, anxiety, depression, and insomnia.

The comment upthread about the beer bottle sound in the recycle bin sounds like it could be hyperacusis. I'm more sensitive to sounds like plates clattering and such now, too.

Sadly, sitting quietly and "getting used to it" is not helpful. If you're focused on it in a quiet environment, that makes it harder to get used to. It's better to try to engage in other distracting things and have background sounds that might blend in some (not fully masking) so that you are less focused on it. In 2+ years of severe tinnitus (after 20 years or so of more mild tinnitus), I am not any more used to it, and some people have had it bad for many years and are still suffering. The vast majority of people with tinnitus just have a mild form and will never understand what the severe sufferers are dealing with.

+1 I can't believe that masking tinnitus with another noise would be helpful. That sounds like the old western traveling snake oil sales. If white noise did work I would think that some nice soothing low volume music instead would too.
White noise and music might help for mild tinnitus as they did for me quite a few years back, but not for mine these days. White noise and music have the vast majority of their frequencies too far below my severe tinnitus frequency to do much masking at all. I play a video of crickets/cicadas overnight that blends in with my tinnitus better, just partial masking, not attempting to fully mask, which helps me sleep since it's a more peaceful sound that blends in some instead of just my tinnitus blasting away on its own.

I recall reading of a study that helped some people, somewhat, for maybe a limited time - nothing close to a cure, but...

As I recall, it involved determining the frequencies of the noise the subject 'heard', and then having them listen to music (and/or noise?) with those offending frequencies filtered out.

The theory was that they got less external stimulation for those offending frequencies, and that somehow eased the brain into lowering its own internal volume of the noise.

I've actually heard of that, but it's actually the opposite of what most people find to be effective. If the brain receives external frequency sounds close to the tinnitus frequency, there is something called residual inhibition that can lower the tinnitus a little, but that only lasts for about 30 seconds for me, and the external sounds have to be of sufficient volume. It works best if the frequency closely matches up. Some people say it doesn't work for them. But rather than trying to do that, I found the best help in using a higher frequency "natural" sound that provides lower level semi-masking of my high frequency severe tinnitus that helps me sleep but not loud enough to cause residual inhibition.

Some people have reactive tinnitus where their tinnitus actually gets worse when they try to mask.

By coincidence, I saw this in my news feed this morning.
There's no cure, but there are a range of strategies to reduce the symptoms and make it less bothersome, including hearing aids, mindfulness therapy, and one newer option – a device approved by the FDA to treat tinnitus using electrical stimulation of the tongue.
Don't believe the nonsense you read as gospel or a cure-all. Not many people report hearing aids helping severe tinnitus. And some say the masking tinnitus hearing aids made their condition worse. Mindfulness doesn't seem to be too helpful for severe sufferers based on the feedback I've seen. It's very hard to get into things like medication when you have a loud squealing sound in your ears/head. And they don't lower tinnitus. And check out all the user reviews of Neuromod Lenire on tinnitustalk.com. The consensus is that it's ineffective, maybe an early placebo effect, and that it doesn't work. The study actually didn't show it lowered tinnitus at all. They used patient questionaires more about their feelings about the tinnitus.

Wait for the Auricle / Susan Shore device, as there were actually better studies showing it actually lowered the volume of the tinnitus, and it's been in development for about 20 years. It hasn't received FDA approval quite yet and may not be available for a couple years. It provides some hope, but even then, it just lowers the tinnitus some, like maybe 12 dB average (based on study), it doesn't eliminate it or cure it. I've talked about these devices in past threads.

Last edited:
Had my appt. with Audible yesterday. I have some hearing loss, but my tinnitus got in the way of the subtle beeps. It was a bit of a hard sell. The typical 'we only have 2 sets left of this special low-cost new technology' was part of the conversation. $4200 was the low-cost version. $8000 was the premium version. They did help my older brother but he has severe hearing loss. I'll wait for the technology that helps tinnitus. The part about the brain losing the ability to communicate effectively seemed to insinuate you get less intelligent. I'm not ready to put hearing aids in every morning and leave them in all day or else they don't work. Especially when she said they won't help the tinnitus.

Is anyone aware if hypnotism/post hypnotic suggestion can help one cope with tinnitus? It seems like it should help, but I haven't seen/heard anything on it.

Is anyone aware if hypnotism/post hypnotic suggestion can help one cope with tinnitus? It seems like it should help, but I haven't seen/heard anything on it.
No, that doesn't help at all. It's been asked about on the tinnitus forum at times. Someone would probably be happy to take your money to do it, though. :LOL: It seems like it would help? :LOL: I suppose there could be a temporary placebo effect for some people. That placebo stuff never works for me. That's why all the supplements I try don't work.
I'll wait for the technology that helps tinnitus. The part about the brain losing the ability to communicate effectively seemed to insinuate you get less intelligent. I'm not ready to put hearing aids in every morning and leave them in all day or else they don't work. Especially when she said they won't help the tinnitus.
Some people say they help tinnitus, but it doesn't seem to be a common response from people. There is tinnitus masking technology that already exists in some hearing aids. I don't think you can have that feature enabled in the hearing aids that Costco sales, even if the model supports it. But I'm not 100% certain on that.

I have mild to moderate hearing loss as well but don't use hearing aids. My big problem is severe tinnitus, not with hearing people most of the time.

Last edited:
It was a bit of a hard sell. The typical 'we only have 2 sets left of this special low-cost new technology' was part of the conversation. $4200 was the low-cost version. $8000 was the premium version.

Yeah, there's big bucks in hearing aids and ordinary mortals can't tell whether the ones with the steeper price are worth it. I sure hope Costco still sells them when I need them.

About hearing aids, they haven't helped my tinnitus but have made a big difference in my enjoyment visiting with friends. Before I'd miss more and more of the conversation when more than 1 or 2 people were talking. And I'd just feel worse not being able to understand the conversation. Now I'm able to hear much better and enjoy being with people more.
Mine are the Philips 9040 from Costco. They have a 6 month money back trial. I'm keeping mine, for $1500 they're worth it.

Yeah, there's big bucks in hearing aids and ordinary mortals can't tell whether the ones with the steeper price are worth it. I sure hope Costco still sells them when I need them.

Plus the technology will continue to get better. The $8000 version came on board a year ago. Next year that version will be $4000. I’ll revisit hearing aids in a couple of years.

Do not despair if you have an Android phone.
Google Sound Amplifier can be really helpful.
Instructions here: https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/9157755?hl=en

I downloaded it, and it might be useful in some cases.

But Bluetooth headsets just have too much delay for me to tolerate. It was especially bad when I'm talking, I hear my own voice naturally, then like an echo, I hear myself a fraction of a second later (and not a little, it's ~ 1/10 to 2/10ths of a second). So a speaker's lips are a bit out of sync with the amplified sound, but not too terribly so.

Much better with a wired headset.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom