Time to redouble my efforts

I used to cut my own hair in my backpacking in Europa days.

Just comb your hair with your fingers and cut everything that sticks out with your Swiss Army knife scissors. The next morning, rough up your hair with your hands and trim anything that looks too long or sticks out.

Believe it or not, this actually works well. All you need is a small scissors and mirror.

Why cut your hair?

I started a ponytail 27 months ago (I was afraid it was too late).

Saving $6.25 about every six weeks: >$100.

Embarrassing kid by having the longest hair in the house-- priceless.

Has anyone tried getting a pair of hair clippers and doing their own hair...?

Pre-ER, my 'hair' spending was $1000/yr give or take $100 - 200 depending on the number of 'executive presentations', crisis of confidence or you-name-it-I've-been-thru-it.

Fast forward to ER, my 'hair' expense is approx $120.00/yr give or take $50 allocated to 'special occasions'. I've found out atleast so far that my family and friiends loved me for who I am and not how I looked with my designer haircut.
Anyway, we'll see how that goes. ;)

re: clippers

We bought a dog trimming kit to avoid paying $40 per clip on our little Lhasa Apsos. Now, since my wife is gettin pretty good at it, I think I'll line up after the dog.

Back to redoubling those efforts:

I make a quick sandwich (PB&J or the like) to bring to work along with snacks from home.  After a while, you find that you don't need a fantastic lunch, you just need something to put in your belly.  My whole attitude about food changed the more frugal I got.  I'm not saying you have to exist on beans and oatmeal, but a simple lunch and dinner serves the purpose and saves money..
I gotta disagree on this one. I freely admit that I am a foodie, but I find that good food is a cheap luxury. Especially if you enjoy cooking as I do, a few extra dollars worth of ingredients can be transformed into a meal that at least equals what you get at most restaurants. Plus you can always explore cuisines that are not readily available where you live, especially with mail-order ingredients.
I gotta d

I love, love, love good food as much as the next person...but for the everyday, simplicity works for me. Living in NY, I don't think I could get away with not enjoying all there is to sample!

I am also a foodie and love good food. So my solution to lunch is to cook more for dinner the night before and pack portions of it for lunch. We have microwave here at work so come lunch hour, I have a hot, homemade food.

One day it may be some braised tofu with veggie and rice, other day it may be some pasta with chicken and homemade basil pesto. Today I am having some wonton noodle soup (the wonton is homemade with chicken filling instead of pork).

My lunch is healthier and tastier than PB&J (although I do love PB&J) but it doesn't take extra time/effort to prepare. Also I get to tease coworkers - they always say, "Hey your lunch smells really good. What are you having?".

:D I told them no matter how much they drool, they are not getting any of my lunch!

Jane

Back
Top Bottom