Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2007, 11:46 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyBear View Post
For those of you out there working for megacorp, how many vacation days do you have for number of years worked?

I was just made and offer nad I want to know if it is competitive...
18 days vacation plus 4 floating holidays. I have 10 years experience as a Chem Eng.
I would say it is competitive. But if you want/need more just ask for more, you are most likely in the drivers seat as engineers are in high demand.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:45 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
28 days (including holidays) + the ability to buy 5 days + 6 six
33 days at 10 years
38 days at 25 years

When I saw including holidays, you get to pick the ones you want. Happy Diwali. However, you have to use it all by the end of the year or you lose it.
I love that idea!!! I miss getting both Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays off, like we got back in the 1950's when I was a schoolgirl. If I had such a schedule, I could return to getting both birthdays off.

Maybe I could add the April 13th birthday of Thomas Jefferson, since there aren't many holidays in April. And then there are the birthdays of those recent Presidents that have influenced my life, such as Kennedy (May 29th) and Reagan (February 6th). I would have such fun with this, that I might be in danger of using up all my holidays on past Presidents!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm working part-time in a job with no vacation pay/sick pay/holiday pay. But my husband gets 3 weeks vacation a year. But his no longer accrues because he was carrying over so much that he's at the limit. He has 600 hours of vacation pay = 15 weeks.

In addition to the vacation time his employer closes for the week between Christmas and New Years and everyone gets paid for that. They do this by floating all the miscellaneous holidays. He also gets 3 weeks sick time (which he also never uses) and at year end, unused sick time can be cashed in at 1/2 your rate (ka-ching). All this can carry over from year to year, but not the personal time, which I think is 3 days a year. I wish he could cash in some of the vacation time, but they don't allow that.

I think when he started working there it was 2 weeks vacation until the 5th year and then increased to 3 weeks. But they must have changed that. Our son works for the same employer and he already has 3 weeks vacation after just one year.

My husband will be cashing in most of his sick time. He likes to keep a week to start the year. Even if he has an extended illness he could use his vacation time until disability kicked in.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #24

By American megacorp standards, our vacation policy is very generous:

0-4 years: 15 days
5-9 years: 20 days
10+ years: 25 days

In addition to this, we all get one "floating holiday" per year, which allows people to observe their own religious holidays and such.

I've been there for eight years and I get four weeks off per year. If I stick out until 2009 (10 years) I'll get a fifth week.

This is purely vacation time, not "PTO" which includes sick days. This is above and beyond sick days, which aren't formally tracked by HR but is to be handled by the manager if a pattern of abuse arises.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #25

0 sick days

4 call-ins= review pushed back 6 months
5 call-ins= review pushed back additional 6 months and 1 day unpaid suspension
6 call-ins= 3 day unpaid suspension. Meeting with my boss and his boss
7 call-ins= Termination. No exceptions.

If 5 or more the previous year,

3 call-ins= review pushed back 6 months and 1 day unpaid
4 call-ins= additional 6 months and 3 days unpaid plus meeting with bosses
5 call-ins= Terminated

About 10% of the 500 person workforce is terminated annually do to attendance.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
0 sick days

4 call-ins= review pushed back 6 months
5 call-ins= review pushed back additional 6 months and 1 day unpaid suspension
6 call-ins= 3 day unpaid suspension. Meeting with me boss and his boss
7 call-ins= Termination. No exceptions.
Sounds harsh. Is that termination for seven separate incidents, or for a total of 7 days a year? If the latter, all it takes is one, maybe two significant illnesses and you're canned. If there are "no exceptions," the business is stupid if a long-term good employee who produces and usually never calls in sick has a streak of bad luck with their health.

I'd also think there could be ADA liability concerns there as well.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
"sick time"... what's that?!?
We are not alloted a specific # of sick days/year, but (in theory at least) we can use as many as we need. Unfortunately, these are true personal sick days, and we're not allowed to use them for any other purpose (e.g., sick kid) - pretty strict on that rule.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #28

Ziggy29: It's considered 1 call-in for one day without a doctors note or 2-3 days with a doctors note. After the third day, it counts as another call-in unless it falls under short-term disability or FMLA.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #29

It truly is "no exceptions". Even though the majority of those fired have less than 3 years experience, there are several good, experienced, employees fired every year due to attendance. In 7 full years, the most i've had is 2 call-ins. We do get $500 net for perfect attendance.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Self employed..........ALL the vacation I WANT!!!

Oops..........too giddy from WORKING when I have a 101 fever because I need to get things done.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
At my Megacorp, it's a mix of both job seniority and years of service that gains you paid vacation days. Everyone gets 10 days sick leave, and approximately 10 holidays per year.

Entry-level - 2 weeks
Mid-level (or entry-level with at least 5 years of service) - 3 weeks
Higher-level (or a lower level with 15 years of service) - 4 weeks
Over 25 years of service - 5 weeks

Charlotte
I had a similar deal at MegaCorp -- when I left I was up to the 5 weeks of vacation plus 10 days sick/personal time and I think 16 holidays. (All was "use it or lose it"; couldn't carry it over or cash it in. I used every last day before I left!)
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

1-5 years:
15 days
17 holidays
10 use or lose sick days

6-10 years: 1 additional day a year

11-onward: 1/2 additional day a year(I think.)

One guy I know that has been there 20ish years takes every other friday off.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad10 View Post
One guy I know that has been there 20ish years takes every other friday off.
The last year that my Dad w*rked, he took off the last week of each month, along with EVERY Friday. As soon as he used up all of his vacation days, he retired. He was a great role model!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #34

I currently get 25 days of leave (that's vacation AND sick pay, though), plus the 10 federal gov't holidays. I'm a gov't contractor. I forget how many years of service I have in, now. I started part time in October 1992, which would put me at 15, and finally went full time in Feb 1994, which would put me at around 13 3/4. I forget when they actually count my anniversary date, though. It's somewhere in between.

I think the threshold is 10 years of service. Under 10, you get 20 days of leave, and over 10, it's 25. I don't think there's any additional increase beyond that though.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been at Megacorp for 23 years, and at my level I get 35 days of PTO (paid time off) a year. Sick, vacation, personal leave, whatever....
Old 11-16-2007, 01:25 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

In my company:

0-2 years = 15 days
2-4 years = 17 days
4+ years = 20 days

No one in the company has more than 5 years yet. Everyone gets 3 sick days.

Also, I negotiated to work at 90% FTE. This means I get paid 90% of my fixed salary, but I take approximately an additional 24 days of vacation per year. My extra days do not roll over year to year nor officially accrue; they are tracked off the books.

And, as if that weren't good enough, my employer was kind enough not to discount my bonus target by 10%, and I work in sales, so in on-target years I pay about 5% of my total compensation for those 5 weeks of extra time off.

Suffice it to say, my company's flexibility with time off has significant influence on me staying where I am!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ziggy29: It's considered 1 call-in for one day without a doctors note or 2-3 days with a doctors note. After the third day, it counts as another call-in unless it falls under short-term disability or FMLA.
Well, this stinks. Illness shouldn't be a disciplinary matter.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

No sick days, all PTO:

0-4 years = 15 days PTO
5-15 years = 20 days PTO
15+ = 25 days PTO

BUT...we get 7-8 holidays AND a week+ off at the end of the year (last Monday before X-mas through January 2nd, usually).

Additionally, we have a 9/80 schedule, which means every other Friday (like today), we have off. That's not really "vacation" though, since we work 9 hour days to make up the hours. My coworkers who worked 9 hours anyway were ecstatic, those who were clock punchers not so much...
Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

For ten years experience, 18 days vacation plus 4 floaters sounds reasonable. I assume you also get 8 or 9 normal holidays besides. And sick leave accrued perhaps one day a month.

If so, the 18 + 4 is reasonable. If you like the company and offer otherwise, I wouldn't make a big deal of the vacation days.

What about real important things retirement savings plans, profit sharing, pensions, bonuses, health insurance?