Vacation Days / Years Experience

0 sick days

4 call-ins= review pushed back 6 months
5 call-ins= review pushed back additional 6 months and 1 day unpaid suspension
6 call-ins= 3 day unpaid suspension. Meeting with me boss and his boss
7 call-ins= Termination. No exceptions.
Sounds harsh. Is that termination for seven separate incidents, or for a total of 7 days a year? If the latter, all it takes is one, maybe two significant illnesses and you're canned. If there are "no exceptions," the business is stupid if a long-term good employee who produces and usually never calls in sick has a streak of bad luck with their health.

I'd also think there could be ADA liability concerns there as well.

"sick time"... what's that?!?

We are not alloted a specific # of sick days/year, but (in theory at least) we can use as many as we need. Unfortunately, these are true personal sick days, and we're not allowed to use them for any other purpose (e.g., sick kid) - pretty strict on that rule.

Ziggy29: It's considered 1 call-in for one day without a doctors note or 2-3 days with a doctors note. After the third day, it counts as another call-in unless it falls under short-term disability or FMLA.

It truly is "no exceptions". Even though the majority of those fired have less than 3 years experience, there are several good, experienced, employees fired every year due to attendance. In 7 full years, the most i've had is 2 call-ins. We do get $500 net for perfect attendance.

Self employed..........ALL the vacation I WANT!!!

Oops..........too giddy from WORKING when I have a 101 fever because I need to get things done.........:(

At my Megacorp, it's a mix of both job seniority and years of service that gains you paid vacation days. Everyone gets 10 days sick leave, and approximately 10 holidays per year.

Entry-level - 2 weeks
Mid-level (or entry-level with at least 5 years of service) - 3 weeks
Higher-level (or a lower level with 15 years of service) - 4 weeks
Over 25 years of service - 5 weeks

Charlotte

I had a similar deal at MegaCorp -- when I left I was up to the 5 weeks of vacation plus 10 days sick/personal time and I think 16 holidays. (All was "use it or lose it"; couldn't carry it over or cash it in. I used every last day before I left!)

1-5 years:
15 days
17 holidays
10 use or lose sick days

6-10 years: 1 additional day a year

11-onward: 1/2 additional day a year(I think.)

One guy I know that has been there 20ish years takes every other friday off.

One guy I know that has been there 20ish years takes every other friday off.

The last year that my Dad w*rked, he took off the last week of each month, along with EVERY Friday. As soon as he used up all of his vacation days, he retired. He was a great role model! ;)

I currently get 25 days of leave (that's vacation AND sick pay, though), plus the 10 federal gov't holidays. I'm a gov't contractor. I forget how many years of service I have in, now. I started part time in October 1992, which would put me at 15, and finally went full time in Feb 1994, which would put me at around 13 3/4. I forget when they actually count my anniversary date, though. It's somewhere in between.

I think the threshold is 10 years of service. Under 10, you get 20 days of leave, and over 10, it's 25. I don't think there's any additional increase beyond that though.

I've been at Megacorp for 23 years, and at my level I get 35 days of PTO (paid time off) a year. Sick, vacation, personal leave, whatever....

In my company:

0-2 years = 15 days
2-4 years = 17 days
4+ years = 20 days

No one in the company has more than 5 years yet. Everyone gets 3 sick days.

Also, I negotiated to work at 90% FTE. This means I get paid 90% of my fixed salary, but I take approximately an additional 24 days of vacation per year. My extra days do not roll over year to year nor officially accrue; they are tracked off the books.

And, as if that weren't good enough, my employer was kind enough not to discount my bonus target by 10%, and I work in sales, so in on-target years I pay about 5% of my total compensation for those 5 weeks of extra time off.

Suffice it to say, my company's flexibility with time off has significant influence on me staying where I am!

Ziggy29: It's considered 1 call-in for one day without a doctors note or 2-3 days with a doctors note. After the third day, it counts as another call-in unless it falls under short-term disability or FMLA.

Well, this stinks. :( Illness shouldn't be a disciplinary matter.

No sick days, all PTO:

0-4 years = 15 days PTO
5-15 years = 20 days PTO
15+ = 25 days PTO

BUT...we get 7-8 holidays AND a week+ off at the end of the year (last Monday before X-mas through January 2nd, usually).

Additionally, we have a 9/80 schedule, which means every other Friday (like today), we have off. That's not really "vacation" though, since we work 9 hour days to make up the hours. My coworkers who worked 9 hours anyway were ecstatic, those who were clock punchers not so much...

For ten years experience, 18 days vacation plus 4 floaters sounds reasonable. I assume you also get 8 or 9 normal holidays besides. And sick leave accrued perhaps one day a month.

If so, the 18 + 4 is reasonable. If you like the company and offer otherwise, I wouldn't make a big deal of the vacation days.

What about real important things retirement savings plans, profit sharing, pensions, bonuses, health insurance?

Back
Top Bottom