What do you track?

I track investment results and net worth quarterly (although all transactions are in
spreadsheets, so I could retroactively figure out more if I felt like it).

I do not track expenses, and never really have. I always saved for a target % of my
income first, and allowed myself to spend the rest.

Linney said:
Cut-Throat -- I haven't used memorized transactions (what, this process can be even easier? sweet!)

I pulled out the manual but it wasn't very helpful on how to set up and use memorized transactions when downloading data from a bank/C.U. A couple quick questions if you have a moment: (1) the Memorized Transactions List lists payees as well as dollar amounts -- what if the dollar amount is always different? (2) when does the automatic categorization take place -- next time I download?

Any tips would be much appreciated! thanks

What version of Quicken are you running?

When you memorize a Payee it will be available for automatic categorizing. The next time you download your Credit Card transactions, it compares the payee to your memorized list - If they're the same it will use the same category - Does not look at dollar amounts. So - all your charges to the same gas station, grocery store, phone bill, restuarant - get the same category! - I think you need to be on a Quicken release of 2004 or later.

Cut-Throat said:
S When you buy everything on a credit card and download to Quicken, it tracks itself. So why wouldn't you :confused:

Because I spend much less when I limit it to the green cash on hand.

Cut-Throat said:
What version of Quicken are you running? - I think you need to be on a Quicken release of 2004 or later.
Ah, I'm still using 2001 deluxe. It does have the memorize transaction feature so I'll give it a try anyway next time I download.

I would encourage young dreamers to track their significant other's satisfaction along with all of the bean counting. Since I was a born plotter/cheapskate, and my wife was a spender, we needed to compromize to stay in the 24 hours a day of bliss mode. :)

When times were good, I would even break one of the cardinal sins, and borrow a small amount from the 401k to take a frivolous trip to some far off tropical island. So I agree with the balance discussions. Otherwise, you may end up with your entire ER plan derailed, and your clothes on the front porch, and the doors locked. Believe me, I have seen it happen to several over the years.

When I was formulating my retirement plan I did an annual analysis for a few years to see where my money was going.

I then put a plan together detailing how much I would have to save in which accounts per year until I reached my retirement goal. I incorporated guesstimates of annual raises and where I would put the money.

Now I just follow my plan and increment the savings on an annual basis. What ever is left over we spend as we please.

Have tracked net worth for about 15 years.

Started tracking expenses just this year.

MB

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
I agree tracking every cent seems to only make sense if you have a behavioral problem that needs fixing, newly retired and need the reassurance, or wanting to put some real numbers with your long-term planning...I am trying to think of anything else...maybe if you are just obsessive, but that's ok, too ;)

I hardly track every cent! - One thing I've noticed about a lot of folks on this forum is the All or nothing approach to things. It seems Balance is out of reach for some! I think It's as ridiculous to 'Track every Cent' as it is to Track to Nothing! ::)

Tracking expenditures when you use a credit card is automatic. I spend no extra time at it. I have a bucket called 'Misc Cash'. ABout $100 a month goes into this category. I have no idea where it goes! But it only makes up about 2% of our Budget. So I don't care! - The point is that I know it's only 2%. If the Misc Cash category crept up to 10%, then I'd know there was a problem.

Back
Top Bottom