What to read?

rollergrrl

Recycles dryer sheets
Looking for suggestions on literature to read to improve financial literacy. please recommend books, websites …

My go to books for starting out FIRE learning are:

Work Less, Live More by Bob Clyantt (but it is out of print now, you can still get the Kindle edition)

All About Asset Allocation by Rick Ferri (he is working on a new edition)

There are tons of good general books about financial literacy, I've read a lot of them and standouts for a novice, off the top of my head, include Bogle on Mutual Funds, The Millionaire Next Door, and Stocks for the Long Run. A little deeper are the books by Bernstein and Graham.

Malkiel, Bernstein, Ellis, Taleb, Bogle, Zweig, S&P SPIVA and Manager Persistence Report Cards. In no particular order. Maybe Malkiel first.

For simple, I like "How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street" by Alan Roth and "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing" by John Bogle.

Not to argue with the above suggestions but they all seem to be about investing. That’s certainly a very important part of financial literacy, but not the whole story.

I would add the following classic into the mix: not for its investing advice (which is dated) but because of its discussion of LBYM, keeping track of savings and expenses, and ‘the crossover point’.

your-money-or-your-life-joe-dominguez-vicki-robin-a34351.jpg

Related web resources:

Summary of Your Money or Your Life

Vicki Robin videos

Vicki Robin interview

Financial Integrity Program

Last edited:
Not to argue with the above suggestions but they all seem to be about investing. That’s certainly a very important part of financial literacy, but not the whole story.

I would add the following classic into the mix: not for its investing advice (which is dated) but because of its discussion of LBYM, keeping track of savings and expenses, and ‘the crossover point’.

I read the book last year and I appreciated the info in it even though I feel I've already had my epiphany around the value of the money I earn and the true cost of the money I spend. Investing is important but the first step is valuing and saving the dollars one earns.

"Your Money and Your Brain" by Jason Zweig

I like "The Automatic Millionaire" by David Bach "The millionaire next door" by Stanley and somebody (I can't remember the other name) and "How to Retire Early" by Robert and Robin Charlton. Those are basic but inspiring- if you want some more in depth reads, pm me.

Back
Top Bottom