Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Looks like the OP misread you.
Or OP proved it correct by not listening.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

OP hasn't even been here since he made post #3 in this thread, so he's not read ANY of our great advice!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He works full-time at his State Capitol, so he doesn't have all day to sit around yapping on forums like us ER fogies
Old 07-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
P.S. FearTheTaxMan - you only have 6 posts under your belt and are already castigating other members? If you read Larro Darro's comment again, you may see that it is a perfectly valid comment. Welcome to the forum - we try to be kind to each other here. Well - for the most part
+1. Suddenly I could not hear him anymore after that one.

Ha
Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #45

If my 52 year old self appeared before me when I was 22 I'd listen pretty closely.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'd tell him to think about how others perceive him especially when he's making a first impression and to tone down the sarcasm.
Well said.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
If my 52 year old self appeared before me when I was 22 I'd listen pretty closely.
Yea, the 22 year old me would have asked what the blank did you let happen to my hair!

Seriously, it would have been to get out of the dead end job you have and go back to school (had to spend 4 more years in 'the school of hard knocks' for that genius idea to set in).

Like has been, said odds of 22 year old me listening, not too high.

MRG
Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

At 22, I was already implementing most of the financial advice I'd give myself , so the only thing I could tell me would be.........

When you meet a girl named Kimberly, run like h*ll, do not pass go, and don't look back...........'nuff said.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

P.S. - no, she is most definately not DW
Old 08-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

If we are talking time travel. I would give myself a list of companies to invest in. I would include the price to buy in below and the price to sell at. Instead of being worth a few million today, I would be on the cover of Forbes.

But I assume you are really asking what advice I would give that doesn't involve very specific future knowledge like that. So that list would be more like this:
  • 99% of the time when something is limited time, you want to avoid it. If you blindly say no every time in these situations, you will end up so much better off that the 1% lost opportunity is irrelevant.
  • Eat healthy and exercise, sex is better
  • Your thoughts on index funds are pretty much on the money, stick with it. Save as much as possible this way.
  • The shine wears off the flashy new toys almost as soon as you buy them. Wait just a few months and you get the same toy at a much more satisfying price.

There are actually things I would be afraid to tell myself for fear that it would negatively impact my life today. For example, I would be afraid to say anything that would change my former Type A, over-achieving work ethic. It let me build up a lot of money in the early years that benefits from compounding returns now. I have ended up in a pretty good place today. It seems like I could more easily make things go wrong, than get better. Perhaps it's just best to leave 22 year old me alone. He wasn't perfect, but he stumbled in the right direction often enough to make life today pretty sweet.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

This just applies to the male ER audience; ladies YMMV. I would tell impoverished 22 year old bob boag to enjoy having relations with as many willing young women as possible cause they won't want anything to do with the rich 58 year old bob boag. And you're married to a beautiful woman anyway. And you're a creep, a-hole. Eyes forward.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #52

Something along these lines, probably...

1. Have hope; things will get much better. In fact, things will get very much beter in a couple of years.
2. You're about to encounter Camus and Nietzsche. Read them both carefully, but take the first to heart, not the second.
3. Avoid becoming condescending or thinking of yourself as special/superior. You are clueless about how clueless you are.
4. Go easy on the alcohol and marijuana.
5. Follow your own lights. What other people think of you is really not that important.
6. There is a God. You have an immortal soul. It'll take a while to figure all that out, but you will. Don't buy into the atheism.

But then, I wonder if all of the mistakes are necessary. Would I be who I am now, had I not taken these "detours" or made these mistakes?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Think twice about going to university. Consider a trade that dovetailed with your other interests. Buy a house (Canada circa 2002) and hold on to it and sell in 2013!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

1970- comming from a Blue Collar Family...
Been out of the Army for 2 yrs already, just finishing up Living in Fla for Fun and back home to the N. Sub. of Chicago
No way going to College, too late mentally..Seen too much in the Army..

I would have told self to Just Get jobs to save up enough to buy Townhomes,Rehab them and then Rent them out..

You could Put a Pup tent on any Lot in the N. Suburbs and it grew over 8% apy

But Dad and Uncles wanted me to get into the Electritians Union-Trades, but thank God my Younger Brother did and became the Stable Familyman, so I could go Play somemore..

till I was 30 and Then an Experienced Woman came along and got me Hooked! I didn't have a Chance.. She had a nice House, Nice Job and Great Kids and I Had to settle down..and be a Kept Man..and start a Business and had to run that for the next 25 yrs...and become repsectable..
Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
till I was 30 and Then an Experienced Woman came along and got me Hooked! I didn't have a Chance.. She had a nice House, Nice Job and Great Kids and I Had to settle down..and be a Kept Man..and start a Business and had to run that for the next 25 yrs...and become repsectable..
I fell for an older woman too. When I spent the first night at her house, she made me park my truck behind the shed. I knew she was a keeper then. She had to think of her reputation.

Of all she has accomplished since, {store manager, secretary where I now work, office manager for Ag Ex Office, assistant SOE, and now Elected Official} her biggest claim to fame was turning me into a respectable man.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #56

To answer the OP's question, I would say to my 22 year old self to do mostly the same things as he plans to do BUT be less trustworthy of people around him.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
To answer the OP's question, I would say to my 22 year old self to do mostly the same things as he plans to do BUT be less trustworthy of people around him.
I've been refraining from saying this because I didn't want to sound bitter.

Thanks for getting it off my chest
Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #58

Study this chart.

IRA BALANCES BY AGE GUIDE FOR THOSE STARTING NOW

How Much Should I Have Saved In My Traditional IRA At Various Ages? | Financial Samurai
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #59
Administrator

I would tell my 22-year-old self to ALWAYS give career priority over men and their wishes, when weighing the pros and cons of substantial decisions.

Maybe that is not what everyone would say to their 22-year-old self, but I would.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheTaxMan View Post
Wow, that's some great advice. Thanks buddy. Next time don't comment.
Sounds like somebody is 22 going on 12...

Anyway, I would have told my 22 year old self to start saving in a Roth IRA instead of putting all the money I did make into a savings account and leaving it sit there for a decade.