What's your Current Age/Retirement Age/Total working years

29 years in career job, two more as a part-time consultant. Now work some part time but only amounts to about $10K per year.

Retired from career job in 2000 at age 50 with a COLA'd pension. At the time my boys were 4 and 2 years old!

If you like, we can always merge the threads - just a thought.

Yes, please! That would be great. I think the young dreamers thread has more responses, so that would be the one to keep.

Done.

I also left a re-direct in the other forum that brings you here.

Current Age: 39
Projected/Goal Retirement Age: 40 and a bit
Total working years: 19
Pension: n/a

RA = 58
Years working = 40
Pension = small one that starts paying when I'm 66

The key to early retirement is to start saving for it early in your career.

Current: 49
Retire: 53*
Total years: 31
Pension: ha ha ha... Ah, NO.

* - Approximate guess. We could retire next year, but DW and I are instead winding down at w*rk. Not doing an obnoxious "in house retirement", but instead trying to w*rk for enjoyment as much as possible. This is just part of the discernment process. MegaCorp could offer a package at any time, if so, I'm gone.

Current: 50
Retirement Age: 55
Total years: 33+
No pension

Current........54 (DH 58)
Retired........41 (DH 54)
Total Years...25 (DH 35)
Pension.......Yes and medical benefits. Both of us are eligible for SS.

Last edited:
Retired: 41
Years worked: 19 in career, 7 in high school/college
Pension: Yes, military

Age 57, DW 58
Retiring in 6 months at 57, DW sometime in 2013 at 58 or 59
Worked 38 yrs, DW same
No pension, DW will have one, but she won't tell me how much.

Currently 56
Retired 49
worked 28 years
Will get a pension that will cover about 30-40% of my expenses at 60-65 (TBD concerning when I will elect to receive pension). Non cola

About 23 years of serious saving to reach FIRE. The first few years were having fun and buying stuff. Thank goodness I woke up :dance: Freedom is way better than stuff.

It would be interesting to consolidate all of this information. I imagine this has already been done by insurance sales kittehs who troll this site but doubt they'd share their findings with us.

Attachments

• insurance.png
    insurance.png
    317.6 KB · Views: 12
It would be interesting to consolidate all of this information. I imagine this has already been done by insurance sales kittehs who troll this site but doubt they'd share their findings with us.

I would love to see this compiled and analyzed! I'm a total excel geek, but we'll see if/when I ever get to it. I have enough on my plate at work that I'm unmotivated to do, so another little project to help me procrastinate may not be the best idea... if anyone else wants to give it a go, I know I'd be interested in results. Average retirement age of those already retired v. projected/goal age of those not... avg retirement age of those w pensions v those w/o... lots of interesting stats!

Current age: 67
Retirement age: 62
Total working years: 4 with USMC; 39 with MegaCorp
Pension: Yes. I took the lump sum option just in time for the 2008 crash. My lump sum has now fully recovered.

Current age: 47
Retirement age: 48
Total years : 25
Pension: yes...public with a yearly 2% COLA. Paid medical for life. My ex gets zero dollars...bought her out years ago :) No SS though.

I would love to see this compiled and analyzed! I'm a total excel geek, but we'll see if/when I ever get to it. I have enough on my plate at work that I'm unmotivated to do, so another little project to help me procrastinate may not be the best idea... if anyone else wants to give it a go, I know I'd be interested in results. Average retirement age of those already retired v. projected/goal age of those not... avg retirement age of those w pensions v those w/o... lots of interesting stats!

I think that would be an excellent idea. Youngest poster, oldest poster, youngest retiree, longest retiree, military posters, male vs female, etc. It would just be interesting. How many with company pensions vs who has created their own by investing. There are so many variables but it would be interesting. I think it's interesting just to see how many posts the individual members have

Current age 64
Retired at 59 & 60 ( long story )
Worked 40 years as an RN
Survivor Pension with cola & medical benefits

# years professional career: 12
Hopeful FIRE age: 45*

*Currently single. Depends on the (currently unknown) future misses variable. ;)

Pension: just some crumbs from SS. Hoping to amass a portfolio to throw off about 2.5%-3%/year in interest and dividends and let it be enough to sustain my/our needs.

65 Today!
Married both retired DW 62
I retired at 62 DW 55
I have a pension non cola, DW no pension
41 yrs in the work force last 31 years with a major corp.
Both on SS

interesting...I see many posts that indicate "pension"...

I am curious if you could have taken a lump sum instead of pension, would you have?

And to the poster who DID take the lump in 2008 and then saw the market downturn...How did you stomach that after just retiring?

As you may have guessed I am about to retire (at 56/34 years at MegaCo) have choice of lump sum or monthly pension.

I am single female. Co. pays retiree Health til 65.

O What should I do?!?!?!?!??!:confused:

interesting...I see many posts that indicate "pension"...

I am curious if you could have taken a lump sum instead of pension, would you have?

And to the poster who DID take the lump in 2008 and then saw the market downturn...How did you stomach that after just retiring?

As you may have guessed I am about to retire (at 56/34 years at MegaCo) have choice of lump sum or monthly pension.

I am single female. Co. pays retiree Health til 65.

O What should I do?
I was offered early buy out with no option for lump sum. DW pension we took lump sum it finally has recovered nicely. One time it was 37% down..

Current Age: 38
Projected Retirement Age: 59 1/2
Working Years: 40 (at retirement)
Pension: yes, if I stay and company is giving me a choice between defined benefit and cash balance, effective in 2014.

Now 54 1/2
Projected RA late 55/early 56
Worked 32 1/2 years so far - 25 at this job (plus part time and summer jobs in high school and college)
No pension, own a dozen rental properties - all but two paid off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom