What's your Current Age/Retirement Age/Total working years

I worked for the PO from '85-'11; bought back 2+ military yrs (added to the multiplier). left at 60. have pension + SS Supplement now; will change sup to SS @ 62

Curious to hear everyone's current age, projected/goal retirement age, and total number of years worked when you hit your retirement age, and also if you are expecting a pension of any sort. For total number of years worked, I'm counting career years, not the gigs during high school or college.
Age 51, retired at age 41, and a total of 24 working years. (That counts digging ditches on a golf course plus the four years I was paid to attend college.) I'm receiving a military pension.

I guess book royalties count as income for Social Security taxpaying purposes, which means I'm going to have to start checking my annual statements again. For whatever that's worth.

Current age: 62
Retired at: 61
Worked full time: 39 years (4 of those years in the Air Force)
Pension: technically no but a robust 403(b) plan instead

I think the intent might have been to get separate posts up for people yet to retire (in the Young Dreamers forum) and people already retired (in this forum).

:facepalm:

Yes, read the post #3 in this thread. I thought I'd get responses from the young dreamers (not retired yet) in one forum and responses from people that were already retired in this one. My bad, didn't realize people floated about so freely on the forums...

29 years in workforce. Retired at 51. Two different pensions that will total about $57k when hit 62. Non cola'd. Pensions or not I would have still pulled the plug when I did.

DW SIRE'd in May, at 55 yoa, after 31 years of penson counting employment and 5 of other post high school. Health care included at w*rking rate also pension is COLA'd. I will be looking at SIRE date in March at 58 with COLA'd pension and same health care coverage. 30 years in the pension w*rk and 8 years "other". We count ourselves among the lucky ones with pensions and health care coverage. Reminds me of the old saying "I would rather be lucky then good" sometimes you just get lucky. ;)

T-bird
Class of 2013
DW class of 2012 (May, a done deal)

Current age is 56
Retired at age 51
Worked 28.5 years after college (plus part-time during high school and college).
Pension - Yes

45 years old at retirement. Worked 24 years and bought 4 years, have a 2% COLA'd pension. Have continued working part time over the past couple years to bolster the kitty up a bit.

Current age- 66, just barely

Retired from Mega Corp- 55
Retired from working for someone- 60 IIRC
Retire from rental property ownership- who knows; anyone want a PT job?

Worked for a full-time salary- 38 years
This includes one year as a consultant, highest paid gig I ever had

Pension- yes; private non-COLA'd; turned it on this year
SS- still waiting to turn that one on

Current age-- 47
Retired-- 43
Years working-- 21

Started a new business in June 2011 so I call myself semi-retired now-- work a couple of hours per day.

Retired at 53, after 31 years teaching/coaching high school. In Missouri we have a pretty good teacher pension plan...makes up, somewhat, for what we get screwed out of the previous years w*rking (another rant another day). We have the rule of 80, years of service and age add up to 80 you get full retirement. I started at age 22 so I could have retired at 51 after 29 years. For some reason, there is a bump if you go 31.

Current age - 54(me). (DW 52)
Will retire at age 55 (me). (DW at 55 also in 3 yrs)
Will have worked 36 years for US DoD when I do retire.
Wife will have worked for her current employer for 16 yrs
Pension (me) - Yes @ 55 - COLA Yes (Federal Civil Service)
Pension (me) - Yes @ 60 - COLA Yes (USAF Reserves)
Pension (wife) - No
Both of us have smaller 401k's (mine's TSP) and Roth IRA's

Last edited:
Career: 32 years for one company.
Pension: Small (pathetic), cash balance plan with a fixed annuity payout available. Far more critical was a very, very good low cost (heavily subsidized) retiree health insurance plan.
FIRE was only possible by aggressive savings since day one.

Pensions are a thing of the past. My current opinions are that pensions are bad for both the employer and the employee. My opinion is that many employers tend to underfund their pensions to help current profits. This delay tactic only works so long. Please see obvious examples in your daily paper. Employees naturally rely heavily on pensions, but when the company goes bankrupt/out of business, many times your "pension" goes with it. The government program to "protect" pensions is limited and has a progressive payout. The farther away from age 65 when it happens, the less you get until you get to age 44.99 where you get 0 of your "earned" pension. So you can be at X company for 24 years at age 44 when they go out of business (or bought out by another company) and one may end up with nada. Go to Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp - PBGC Protects America's Pensions if you want to be scared. I now believe there should no longer be deferred compensation, too many ways to lose it or a substantial portion of it during your working years and even after. Sorry, end of rant.

Not sure why you posted the same query in two forums...
I think the intent might have been to get separate posts up for people yet to retire (in the Young Dreamers forum) and people already retired (in this forum).

:facepalm:
And if you look at the other thread you'll see how well that strategy worked out. Don't beat yourself up... :facepalm:

current age 60
Full retire at 59
Semi retired at 54
Years worked 30 Full time, 5 Semi retired

61, retired from full time about 6 months ago, still work a few hours for the h of it. Worked 36 years in my profession, and was always taught by depression raised father to save for your own retirement. So I did despite two 15 year gigs in local governments. When left the first was given my contributions back with no interest:mad: That was my choice for several reasons, didn't care to vest with the b_st_rds. So that was where a lot of accumulation in 457 came from. Then after some private sector I returned to local government, sacking as much into 457 and 401k as could (yes, you can do both, in last 6-7 years was doing over $40k a year). About 1/2 way through that I realized I could buy time for previous local government credit (expensive, but very worth it) so did. that let me out at 60 with about 1/2 salary, cola'd but at less than predictable %. So I currently have a DBP and investments that give me a good bit more than last salary, which I lived well below. Wife has no pension but IRA and we'll get ~$30k SS at 66 but we'll hold off as we don't need it. I perhaps could have retired 3-5 years earlier, but the penalty on the government pension to go before 60 was 20% if I left one day before 60, more earlier. So I stayed, and it was a job that I didn't really mind until the last couple of years.

No regrets here, only problem is that we care for MIL (almost full time work for DW) so cannot travel very easily, which is what we saved so much money for! It's a problem that will solve itself of course, meanwhile we spend a lot of time exercising and looking for ways to enjoy life. Gets better each day. Other complication is daughter with 3 grandchildren (and husband) live in London, DS lives in Tanzania. Great places to visit but a long plane ride, and getting BIL to take MIL is a challenge.

I'm curious about those of you that are FIRE:

How many years of working (in your career, not high school or college gigs) did you log before you retired?

How old were you when you retired?

And lastly, did you get a pension?

Mostly I'm curious about what ages early retirees retire at... And the pension- I see lots of articles about people that qualified for a pension and were able to retire. I haven't had such luck to find a pension. So it's good old savings for me...

34 1/2 years from first job after college to early retirement - no breaks in between other than vacations and a couple weeks between jobs (last 5 or so years were 50% to 80% part time)

Yes, a small pension from one prior employer - annual benefit will be ~14% of my final pay with that employer

Current age 57. Planned retirement 57.5! :dance:
Years worked 33
I am blessed to have a defined-benefit pension from megacorp, supplemented by personal savings. SS benefits will also kick in at 62, but are very low given the local rules...

And if you look at the other thread you'll see how well that strategy worked out. Don't beat yourself up... :facepalm:

If you like, we can always merge the threads - just a thought.

That's my kind of business. Mind if I ask what it is?

I opened up a used car lot with two managers who worked for me at my new car store back in 2008. The two hours is actually a little deceiving-- I'm only able to put this little time in because they are really good, and I pay them a lot, so they do everything but deposit the money and do the accounting. That's my "job".

Current age 57
Retired in early 2008
Worked for 36 years
Have a modest pension from DH and a tiny one from me

Current age: 52
Retirement age: 47
Years working (full-time*): 25
Pension: no (but SS yes, hopefully!)

*I worked various part-time jobs since I was about 15 years old, but only included the full-time work that started after college.

Back
Top Bottom