Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
I ended up taking #2
Rebel

Congrats!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for your responses.. I love this forum

Old 08-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Glad to hear that you are happy.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #44

mickj; I hope you don't live in MA. The state just made software development consulting subject to a "use tax" of 6.25% in order to underwrite a transportation bill. All contractors in that field are responsible for collecting (if you can) and paying (no choice) a use tax, (think sales tax) into the state. And this law went into effect 5 days after voted upon by the State Legislature.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
mickj; I hope you don't live in MA. The state just made software development consulting subject to a "use tax" of 6.25% in order to underwrite a transportation bill. All contractors in that field are responsible for collecting (if you can) and paying (no choice) a use tax, (think sales tax) into the state. And this law went into effect 5 days after voted upon by the State Legislature.
Thankfully, No I am not in MA.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

IMO, the right approach would have been to get both companies into a bidding war for the OP's services. That can't always be arranged, but managers are like other consumers, once they make a choice they tend to become overcommitted to it and will pay up to avoid losing it, just like bidders in any other transactino. I once got 12% more as a result of a bidding war between two companies for my services. Since that became my base for future raises and then for subsequent jobs (I never earned less than that again), that 12% gain was very important over the more than 20 years remaining in my career.

The PTO issue is pretty much a wash. The #2 job pays $474/day. So if he takes 28 unpaid days off reducing his days per year to 204 his annual gross becomes $96,724, pretty close to the "mid 90's" salary of the first job.

Early in my career I always took the job that paid more assuming I thought I could stomach it, and never stayed more than four years.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
IMO, the right approach would have been to get both companies into a bidding war for the OP's services. That can't always be arranged, but managers are like other consumers, once they make a choice they tend to become overcommitted to it and will pay up to avoid losing it, just like bidders in any other transactino. I once got 12% more as a result of a bidding war between two companies for my services. Since that became my base for future raises and then for subsequent jobs (I never earned less than that again), that 12% gain was very important over the more than 20 years remaining in my career.

The PTO issue is pretty much a wash. The #2 job pays $474/day. So if he takes 28 unpaid days off reducing his days per year to 204 his annual gross becomes $96,724, pretty close to the "mid 90's" salary of the first job.

Early in my career I always took the job that paid more assuming I thought I could stomach it, and never stayed more than four years.
Don't forget though that as a 1099 a contractor is responsible for paying the self employment tax, which amounts to 7.65 percent, that the employer pays in a W-2 situation.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Both jobs are W2. Apparently, the commute places #2 as the least favorable choice.

What do you know of management at each location? I can tell you from experience that a mediocre manager can ruin many things, including the desire to be in the office.

You haven't mentioned much about your plans for the future. A contract job may better prepare you. which choice do you see as a technically more desirable choice?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
Glad to hear that you are happy.
+1. Happy is gooder than money.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

quick update:

I was able to get hired on full-time at job #2.

With bonus I will be making more than I was offered at job #1.

The health care benefits and 401k match are pretty excellent.

After so many years at IBM (previous job), I still feel like I won the lottery. IBM is horrible place to work these days.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
IBM is horrible place to work these days.
Working with their products is bad enough for me... every job I've had so far has been at an IBM shop.